starting strength gym
Page 59 of 443 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Due to a weird schedule this week, Wed will be hard to train, so lifted today and will do Tues/Thurs.
    Back felt really good today. But I hadn't eaten much before training at 4pm, so I was low energy. Affected squats and presses some, but pulling is still light enough that I didn't notice.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, 385x5, 365x5x2
    385 was harder than expected, no pop at all, so lowered to 365 for the next two sets. Probably a combo of still recovering from that bug and not eating much today. I could have easily done all three sets there but wasn't in the mood for the grind and wouldn't have mattered long run since I'm still rehabbing anyway.

Press
    45x5, 85x5, 115x3, 145x2, 175x5x3
    I felt the lack of food here. Otherwise not noteworthy.

Deadlift
    135x5, 225x5, 295x3, 345x1, 395x5
    Back felt great here, very encouraging. Finally. Continued using hook grip for some reps of all sets beginning at 295. 395 was two reps double-O and then three with the hook. No chalk, but I'll start using it next time as the low 400's tends to be when the bar starts getting harder to hold for me without chalk.

Also experimented with a narrower stance than I usually use. I usually am pretty narrow anyway, maybe 6-8 inches. But I went in to about 3-4 inches and turned my toes out a bit more today. I really liked it. I'm gonna stay with it for now.

Also did four or five sets of five pushups between DL sets. First time pushups felt OK since I hurt the shoulder 8 weeks ago. Good, because I'm getting really frustrated with how long that's taking to get better, and inability to bench heavy.

DB Rows
    45x10, 60x9, 75x8, 90x7, 100x6
    Was tired of chins so changed it up a bit. Went conservative since I have done DB rows once in the last 18 months or so, and also wasn't sure how shoulder would react. Everything feels fine as of now, and all reps and sets were easy.

Conditioning
    1 min walk / 1 min run x 5 plus a 30 second burst at the end
    Started at 5.5 for the first run, was at 7.0 by the last one. Burst at 7.3. Still very slow/lame, but it was easier today.

Happy to see your numbers heading back in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Happy to see your numbers heading back in the right direction.
    Thanks JP.

Still don't feel quite 100% yet from last week's episode, so took it fairly easy today.

Squat
    Did a very light, low volume combo of high bar squats and front squats today. Since I was really only using this as a warm up anyway. I would front squat a weight, add a bit more, then high bar squat it. Rest, then front squat that higher weight. Add weight, high bar. Rest, front squat. And so on.
    Front Squat - 45x5, 75x5, 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 155x3
    High Bar Squat - 45x5, 75x5, 95x5, 115x5, 135x3, 155x3
    We'll see if my quads are sore from such low volume and weight.

Press
    45x5, 85x5, 125x3, 155x2, 180x5x3
    Nothing to report.

Chins
    6,6,6,5,5,5,5 - 3 more, total, than last time.
    Superset with KB Swing 24kg x 10 for 4 sets.

Bench Press
    45x10, 85x8, 115x8, 145x8, 175x8, 185x8
    All sets better than last time (Friday, I believe). But at 175 and 185 I could still feel the weakness and twinge at the bottom of the rep on my left side.

Conditioning aka Old Man Runs
    1 min run/1 min walk x 6: started at 5.4, finished the last one at 7.3mph. Did a final 30 second run at 7.8.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 01-29-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Weights moving back, slowly, towards respectability.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 295x2, 345x1, 405x5, 385x5, 375x5
    Very happy with how strong 405 was, considering A) Back is still not 100% B) I'm just finally fully over being sick C) I've been eating at a caloric deficit for 2 weeks now. Finished with a slight back-off to get in the volume.

Press
    45x5, 85x5, 120x3, 155x2, 185x5x3
    Getting hard. Combo of lingering shoulder problem and lack of heavy benching to spur more progress. Last rep of last set was a bit of a grind. Will have to slow down progress to 2x/week, possibly microload. Frustrating.

Deadlift
    135x5, 225x3, 295x2, 365x1, 415x5
    Back felt strong, which was good. I chalked up for the first time since back injury and did 2 reps in the hook grip, 1 double OH, and then another 2 in the hook. I was a bit disappointed that my hook didn't feel stronger at only 415. Maybe I just need more time to get used to it.

DB Rows
    60x10, 80x5, 100x8x2
    Pretty easy. Easing into more volume.

Conditioning
    Old Man Runs: 1 min walk/1 min run x6 - started at 5.5, finished at 7.4. 30 second final burst at 8.0. Moving it faster slowly.

This is great buddy. Being back in the 4's on squat and deads in the same workout has got to feel good. Hopefully we can train together soon.

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Press
    45x5, 85x5, 120x3, 155x2, 185x5x3
    Getting hard. Combo of lingering shoulder problem and lack of heavy benching to spur more progress. Last rep of last set was a bit of a grind. Will have to slow down progress to 2x/week, possibly microload. Frustrating.
    Hi Wolf,

I've been watching your log lately as it seems like we both picked up a shoulder injury around the same time. I've had to stop benching too for now and am currently just doing Presses only in a TM format. I know this will probably stall out eventually because of the lack of the heavy benching load. Sucks to be us.

Do you think someone could get much mileage out of working with heavier weights by push pressing if their strict press is getting stale before being able to return to benching? This came to mind because I think I remember the old example pressing program in PPST1's TM section had push presses on the volume and intensity days.
    Last edited by Kjeld; 01-31-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Kjeld View Post
    Hi Wolf,

I've been watching your log lately as it seems like we both picked up a shoulder injury around the same time. I've had to stop benching too for now and am currently just doing Presses only in a TM format. I know this will probably stall out eventually because of the lack of the heavy benching load. Sucks to be us.

Do you think someone could get much mileage out of working with heavier weights by push pressing if their strict press is getting stale before being able to return to benching? This came to mind because I think I remember the old example pressing program in PPST1's TM section had push presses on the volume and intensity days.
    I do think the heavy bench work helps spur progress in the press. It can still be made without the bench, but more challenging to do so.

Regarding the push press: While you could certainly choose a worse exercise, I don't think it's the best choice to drive up the press, because the musculature to get the bar off the shoulders is under-used in the push press. Especially if your weak point in the press is anywhere from the starting point to the top of your head, I don't think the push press is best. You could run it for its own purpose if you just want to drive up your push press. Though I don't think it's the best choice for a general strength program, it's still a reasonably useful lift, if it doesn't bother your knees. You mention the press getting stale, and I'm not really sure what you meant by that - progress stalling or just getting bored with it? That would probably affect my response.

I spoke to Rip about my own programming for this last night, now that my re-LP on the press is just about done. He suggested continuing 3 sets of 5 on Mondays and heavy singles or DE presses on Fridays. I'll probably start with the singles for 3-4 weeks and then do the DE work for 3-4 weeks. Rotate between the two. Hopefully I'll be benching again before too many cycles back and forth.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 295x2, 365x1, 415x5, 385x5x2, 335x5
    Squat Notes: 4-5 mins rest between work sets. Squats felt strong today. Didn't even feel my back - yes! Added a 4th set @ 335 to begin to re-acclimate to TM volume, looking towards getting back on TM schedule the week after next (week of 2/11) or the week after that.

Press
    45x5, 85x5, 120x3, 155x2, 187.5x5x3
    Press Notes: 3-4 mins between work sets. Hard, but no harder than 185 was. Feels good to be pressing fairly heavy weights again.

Deadlift
    185x4, 275x2, 365x1, 430x5
    Deadlift Notes: Used hook grip for the whole work set. Felt more solid than last time, but thumbs were kinda numb for a minute after the set. For those who hook your heavy deads: do you use athletic tape, and is thumb-numb normal right afterwards? I have always used alternating grip for my heavy sets so this is new to me.

Chins
    Chin Notes: Rested 2 mins between sets.

Conditioning - Old Man Runs
    1 min run/1min walk x 5: began the first at 5.5, finished the last at 7.6. Ramped up to speed faster than previous times. Finished with 30s 'burst' (ha) at 8.4.
    Conditioning Notes: This is the last week I am doing conditioning 3x. As my weights go back up to actual working weights, I will need more recovery. I have also established a(n admittedly) minimal baseline conditioning level, so don't need 3x anymore for my purposes. I will move to 2x: After the middle/lighter day of my week, and the 2nd one either after the last lifting day, or on the day after that, which would still leave a day of full recovery before next lift.

Session Notes: My 'cut' if you can call it that seems to be working. I haven't weighed myself since last Tuesday, but as of today, am using 1 hole tighter on my belt (the 4th hole instead of the 3rd). The 3rd is the furthest out I've been. The 7th is the tightest I've had it, though it was pretty tight to get it there. With gym clothes and light, minimal shoes on I weighed 271 at my heaviest. Last weigh in on Tuesday I was 261. Jeans are also noticeably looser.

Random Notes: Pre-Superbowl, I thought everyone would be at their pre-game parties already, but the gym was pretty busy. Luckily I got a rack right away, but there were times when every barbell in the place was used and people were waiting for racks. Even if most of them were doing silly bullshit, the need is there. Every time I see this, my lack of ability to open a lifting gym here stings a little more.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 02-03-2013 at 05:37 PM.

My thumbs are always numb for about a minute after deadlifts. I used to use the tape for them and recently stopped. The tape provides protection from the wear and tear while I'm weightlifting but since I only use it for the last set on deadlifts I just chalk up and go. I also have a disability when it comes to successfully wrapping my thumbs so I just say "fuck it" when ever I can.

starting strength coach development program
    Man, some great squatting, deadlifting and pressing, Michael.

You'vr really been turning it on the past few weeks. Just really great lifting!