starting strength gym
Page 60 of 443 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    My thumbs are always numb for about a minute after deadlifts. I used to use the tape for them and recently stopped. The tape provides protection from the wear and tear while I'm weightlifting but since I only use it for the last set on deadlifts I just chalk up and go. I also have a disability when it comes to successfully wrapping my thumbs so I just say "fuck it" when ever I can.
    Ok, good to know my thumb-numb was not just me. I expect it won't feel any better when I'm back to pulling 500 for 5 and then beyond, but I'll at least be used to it by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Man, some great squatting, deadlifting and pressing, Michael.

You'vr really been turning it on the past few weeks. Just really great lifting!
    Thanks Oldster. Coming from the strongest Oldster in the Pacific Northwest, that's high praise! I hope to have my squat and pull back at pre-injury levels in another two weeks, and then get back moving up again. Goals are at least a 550 squat and 630 pull in 2013, though I'd like to hit 575 and 650.

Light/Recovery Day

Squat
    Same scheme as last Weds - Starting with empty bar: high bar for 3, front squat for 3, add weight; high bar for 3, front squat for 3, add weight; repeat.
    Weights @ 45, 75, 105, 125, 145, 165, 175.
    Squat Notes: All very easy, obviously, though since I don't work on it much (and haven't for ~2.5yrs) my rack position isn't as good as it could be, so I notice that beginning at 165.

Chins
    Chin Notes: Rested 3 mins. The eighth rep required some work on the 3rd and 4th sets.

KB Clean and Press Ladder
    16kgx3/2/1 (1 clean, 3 presses; 1 clean, 2 presses; 1 clean, 1 press)
    24kgx3,2,1 x 3
    KB C&P Notes: Easy. Just wanted to get some type of pressing in, between days of hard BB Presses.

Cable Rows
    120x10, 160x10
    CBL Row Notes: Easy.

Conditioning
    Old Man Runs - mixed it up a bit today. Started with a few slower 1 min walk/1min runs at jogging speed (5.5-6.9). Then did a few 45s run/1min walk at running speed (7.2-8.2). Then did a couple 30s runs at 8.8. Then finished with another minute @ 7.5. Took 15 mins total. Felt pretty easy.

Session Notes:
    1. I'm enjoying HB and Front Squatting on Wednesdays. Even though I'm doing both ridiculously light for now, I'm enjoying the variety of movement. One of the nice things about having a recovery day and being competent enough in the LBBS is being able to play with stuff like this just cuz. I don't think it will have any effect on my training, positive or negative, from a purely physiological perspective, but after a year of LBBS-only, it's nice mentally. And that can be important.
    2. Tuesday weigh in at 259 and change. Only 2lbs less than last Tuesday, but considering how much looser my jeans are and that I tightened my belt a notch, I am not concerned. Especially since I'm not really going by weight here. I estimate I'll be in the mid-high 240's when the slow cut is done, but I'll land wherever I land and choose my weight class accordingly.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 02-05-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Know what's cool?

I posted my training for today in my log at 6pm, EST. Now it's 11:30 and my log is already at the bottom of the 1st page, since so many other lifters have since posted in their logs, or had others comment on them. In the Competitive Lifter section!

My log has only been here for a year, and yet it was so much slower here even one year ago. It's awesome to see such a growth of lifters who compete, keeping their logs here.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Know what's cool?

I posted my training for today in my log at 6pm, EST. Now it's 11:30 and my log is already at the bottom of the 1st page, since so many other lifters have since posted in their logs, or had others comment on them. In the Competitive Lifter section!

My log has only been here for a year, and yet it was so much slower here even one year ago. It's awesome to see such a growth of lifters who compete, keeping their logs here.
    I was thinking the same thing the other day-- it's great to see this many active lifters in this forum.

Interesting approach to the squats...

Other than being god-awfully hard for no reason, the only thing interesting about today's training was how much silly bullshit I witnessed in the gym. I'll pepper it in where it happened. Oh, and I sprained my ankle yesterday. Was concerned I wouldn't be able to squat at all today, but it turned out to be a minor one. I did a couple empty bar sets and it felt ok, but I wrapped it with an ACE bandage anyway, just in case. I was concerned that if my form broke down at all and I had a bit of knee-slide, my ankle might not be happy about that, so I wrapped. Did the trick.

Squat
    45x5x3, 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, 385x1, 425x5, 365x5
    Squat Notes: 425x5 felt like 465x5. Hard as balls. Perhaps it was the volume increase on Tuesday, but I suspect not because that was still a lot less than I've done and than my current capacity if uninjured, and because I only pulled 430 that day. Who knows.

Press
    45x5, 95x5, 135x3, 165x1, 195x1x10 (10 singles)
    Press Notes: Nothing much to report. A bit harder than I expected, but not really hard. Maybe because I rested only ~2 mins between singles, since they were only 7.5lbs more than my 3 sets of 5 on Sunday. Seems like should have been easier despite the short rest.

Gym Silliness #1: As I was transitioning the bar from squats to presses, a bro comes in and goes to the rack next to me, the only other one in the gym. He does a set of about 20 "presses" which began by holding the bar at about his mouth, pressing to his eyes, and then back down to his mouth. Oh boy. He went ahead to do AMRAP sets of presses like this @ 95, 145, 185, 195. The 195 sets were just ridiculous: he had layback like an olympic presser of old, except it was permanent, not part of any dynamic process to get more out of the press. He also had to use his knees a lot at 195. The combo of layback, knee-kick, and 6 inch ROM was particularly funny considering I did ten reps of 195 right next to him, full ROM. Well, funny to me, anyway.
    After he finished his "presses," he went to SHURGS! Started at 315, then 405, then 455. Could barely hold onto the bar even with straps, and his SHURGS were all of about 2 inches of ROM. He also did some behind the back. Sweet.

Gym Silliness #2: A pair of personal trainers from the gym got into the rack after this dude left. They were 'doing legs' today, so came to the rack to squats after leg pressing. They could generously be called half squats, with all of 135, 185, then 235. Elbows-a-collapsin' and head-a-bobbin.

Deadlift
    185x5, 275x2, 365x1, 445x5
    DL Notes: This was the only thing that felt easy today. Smokeshow. Hook grip felt both more solid and less painful today. A bit of discomfort for 10-15s after the set, but no numbness.

Gym Silliness #3: The aforementioned two trainers had now come over to the other side of the gym to pull. Ya, brah! One of them spent, I shit you not, an entire minute pumping himself up for his set. At 235. Which he did with the hex plates (when bumpers (though not round iron) were available). Touch and go.

Conditioning
    Couldn't sprint because of ankle, so rowed 30:60 x 6 and then one 20s all out burst. Paces:
    1:50, 1:43, 1:40, 1:40, 1:38, 1:38. 20s burst @ 1:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Interesting approach to the squats...
    Ya, like I said, I don't think it does anything for me from a training perspective. Just nice to practice HBBS and FS on a day I don't really need to squat anyway. I've noticed that squats at 80% on the middle, light day seem too heavy for me. This gives me an alternative and serves as a good warmup for whatever else I'm doing.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 02-07-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Glad the ankle did not mess you up too much. I need you full capacity uninjured in May for the meet.

Sometimes I miss the gym silliness. It would give me the lulz that I needed on a particularly sad day...however, most of the time it gave me an smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I've noticed that squats at 80% on the middle, light day seem too heavy for me. This gives me an alternative and serves as a good warmup for whatever else I'm doing.
    I've noticed this also. I choose to either front squat and perform cleans or just perform squat cleans on this day and it seems more appropriate for my recovery.

Rough training today. After several consecutive late nights, 12 hours of travel yesterday, arriving home at midnight, and turning around and starting work again at 8am today, I was beat. Good thing I sacked up and trained anyway. Because that's what we do.

Squat
    45x5x3, 135x5, 225x3, 295x2, 345x1, 385x5, 375x5, 365x5, 355x5, 335x5
    Squat Notes: Ramping volume back up more. Doing a pseudo TM at this point. Looking forward to actual heavy lifting and PRs again soon. Didn't watch clock but estimate 4-5 mins between sets.
    Ankle was still a little tender so did an extra empty bar set and wrapped with an ACE bandage again.

Press
    45x5, 85x5, 125x3, 160x1, 189x5x3
    Press Notes: Upper body was really beat, affected a lot by the travel. I had to grind the 5th rep out, especially the last set.

Deadlift
    185x4, 295x2, 385x1, 455x5
    DL Notes: Hook feeling more and more solid, less painful, and less numbness after the set. The 455 itself felt strong.
    Although when I flex my right hip I can still feel the tiniest bit of something off in the spot that got hurt, I don't notice it at all when squatting or pulling anymore.

Conditioning
    Was going to row because of ankle, but both rowers were taken so I ran gingerly and not very aggressively. Did the old 1-min walk/1 min run 5x and not very fast. Re-wrapped ankle. It held up OK but I think i was right in not pushing harder. Started at 5.6, finished at 7.5

Is the press 189 because the bar weighs 44, or because you were A.D.D. and loaded 4lbs?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Is the press 189 because the bar weighs 44, or because you were A.D.D. and loaded 4lbs?
    Very anal microloading. Especially since I am not able to bench at all right now, it's harder to drive my press up. So I'm making very small jumps. 185 to 187.5 to 189. Next time I volume press, I'll do 191.