starting strength gym
Page 68 of 443 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Kingwood Strength & Conditioning is always looking for qualified coaches......
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    So when're you gonna move Jersey so you can train with me?
    Nice to be recruited by the top NCAA Programs. Or in this case, my fellow SS cronies, who are also very strong, smart lifters and coaches. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    If they have any of those "bodybars" lying around, you can take one and stick it through the bottom two handles of the pullup complex thingy in order to make a straight bar. It's what I had to do at my old gym.
    Thanks for the suggestion. It's something I've seen and done before myself, but:
    1. They have no bodybars, as far as I can tell
    2. These angled handles are placed such that the bodybar trick actually is impossible to do. It's hard to describe, but it's a very old-school cable cross with weird handles. You can't lay the bb across them.

Rough day to close out a rough week. One of those weeks I would like a "do-over" button for, all around.

Squat
    Warmups to 450x4 - failed 5th rep. Then 475x1.
    Notes: I could come up with many excuses why I failed the fifth rep. I didn't get the proper volume work in Monday, my gym situation has been seriously out of whack this week, other stressful stuff, etc... But the bottom line is, today, I failed because I pussied out and didn't grind through a rep I could and should have made, if I'd stayed with it longer. The 475x1 afterwards didn't make me feel better, but prevented me from being really, really pissed the rest of the day.

Press
    Warmups to 205x5 - PR, then 225x1x2 (2 singles)
    Notes: All good here. Happy with press progress lately.

Power Cleans
    145x3, 175x3, 200x3, 220x3, 240x3x2, 190x3
    Notes: Slightly better than the shit show that my PC has been lately. Got a bit sloppy again at 240 and starting pulling a bit early and splitting on some reps, so did another set at 190 to solidify my technique progress here. It worked, the 190x3, though light, was the best set of PC I've done since before the Dec 1 meet.

Bro-Work
    EZ Bar Tricep Extensions: Bar+45 x13x3
    Paul Horn, where are you?

Conditioning
    200m run/ 1:30 rest x 4, started at 7.2, finished at 8.5. Still slow, but they were pretty easy. Then a 30s final run at 10.0.

Despite the warning signs of a possible cold, today was a good training day. 75% of the time, I get early symptoms and it never blossoms into an actual cold. Let's hope this is one of those 75%, because I need a redemption ID on Friday.

Squat
    Warmups to 390x5x5
    Notes: Repeated what last week was supposed to be. Bad news: still harder than expected/should be. I got too used to the knee slide and the bounce off my quads. Good news: the last two sets were easier than the first three, which means when I get into a decent groove with my knees staying back like they should, I have plenty more in the tank. Not all reps were perfect but I'd venture to say my worst knee slide rep today was better than my best rep 3 weeks ago.

Press
    Warmups to 197.5x5x3 - PR
    Notes: Should be PR-ing my 3 sets of 5 press weekly Mondays, and 5RM weekly Fridays. So far, so good.

Deadlift
    Warmups to 500x5
    Notes: Big milestone here, I'm excited about it. It wasn't even that hard. Despite imperfect technique on a few reps, all went up without too much drama and only a bit of turtle rage. Switched from hook to alternate grip for the last rep, since I felt the hook weakening a bit. Just in case.

Video:
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-25-2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added video

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Deadlift
    Warmups to 500x5
    Notes: Big milestone here, I'm excited about it. It wasn't even that hard. Despite imperfect technique on a few reps, all went up without too much drama and only a bit of turtle rage. Switched from hook to alternate grip for the last rep, since I felt the hook weakening a bit. Just in case.
    yo bro-- AWESOME! Pulling hook to boot-- wow!

Wolf, after a while, it's ALL heavy. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Wolf, after a while, it's ALL heavy. Nice work.
    Ronnie Coleman would beg to differ. And since Ronnie is my mentor in everything (second only to LSCSC Paul Horn), I beg to differ as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    nice work, especially given the new "environment".

What thoughts/cues are you using to work on your knee slide? I've been having the same issue, and I think it may be contributing to my continued tendonitis. I've been emphasizing "sit back", but that can often lead me to getting out of the groove on the rebound when the weight gets heavy. I don't want to solve one problem and cause another!
    This is actually the "old" environment. I was able to go there for one more workout yesterday. Believe it or not, it's better than any of the newer options.

Re: the knee slide, a lot of this is detailed a couple weeks back in my log. Start here: http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=28514&p=636795#post636795

Good recovery day. Tried a new local gym that, while not ideal, looks to be serviceable, and will let me keep my bar locked up there. So that was good. Plus bench press was OK on my shoulder for the first time since Dec 1.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x3, 365x1, 387x1
    Notes: More and more solid with the knees as I continue to ingrain the correct pattern.

Chin-ups
    10. Then BW+15x6,6,6.
    Notes: Could have done several more reps each set, but since I haven't done weighted chins in 5 months or so, wanted to start conservatively.

Bench Press (did these in between sets of chins)
    45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 175x5, 205x5, 225x5
    Notes: All felt 100% fine on the shoulder. Pretty happy about that. Granted it was only up to 225, but it's the first time benching since I got hurt on Dec 1 that my shoulder felt OK at the bottom position while benching. I've been testing it out every 2 or 3 weeks, and it's always started to feel wonky at the bottom at some weight. I didn't have time to go up any further, but this gives me hope. Next Weds, I'll see how 255 feels and go up from there if it's fine. If I can start benching again now, I'll really be happy.

Also, I forgot how much benching fries my erectors. Damn.

Good to see you benching again pain free!
    RPS has not seen the last of the Direwolf...

BTW 3.31.13 Winter is here.

I'd rather forget about today's training. I know if don't log it now, the moment I got home, I'd probably will just skip it. I'm so pissed at myself. Totally blew it today. But thanks to Josh and Shelley for hanging out and their great coaching, as usual. That's what made the day worthwhile.

Squat
    Warmups up to 450x4. Missed the 5th. Again. Because I'm a moron. Again.
    Notes: Reps 1 and 2 popped like this was 405. Smooth, easy. Based on those two reps, I should be able to squat 465x5. I just could not hold the newly re-wired form together for the whole heavy set of 5. Rep 3 was a bit worse, and then rep 4 was just a shit-show, and took too much out of me to make the 5th rep.
    After talking to Josh about strategy, I'm either going to switch to singles or doubles on Friday, or back everything up and re-set on 3x5's and work back up that way. Because ultimately I need to get this worked out where I can hold it together for a limit set of 5. Even if I can get stronger in the short term, I'll need to be able to do heavy 5s again at some point. So the question is will I be able to hold form for heavier singles & doubles, since I have done the first two reps well each of the last two weeks, or should I just go back and work my 5s every time I squat. I'll decide over the weekend. Leaning towards the singles because it's less a blow to the ego.

Press
    Warmup to 208x5, then 225x1x2 (2 singles).
    Notes: The last rep @ 208 took about 30 seconds. I couldn't even hold my breath the whole rep. Took a lot out of me, which made the 225s heavier than usual. But got them all done.

Power Clean
    135x3, 160x3, 185x3, 205x3, 225x3x a whole bunch of sets, maybe 5 or 6.
    Notes: Josh identified a couple things that I've been getting into that were problems with my clean. Training alone I could feel something off but couldn't figure out what it was. 1. I would get onto my toes right after the bar left the floor. 2. Not staying out over the bar long enough.
    Because apparently I'm an idiot, as I worked on these two things, I started beginning my second pull way too early. So as I did better with the two problems that have been giving me trouble over the past few months, I had this new problem of pulling too early/too low on the thigh. Actually missed a few reps @ 225, which has been a weight I can PC any time, anywhere for a long time now.

I know what I need to do to fix this, just need to do it.

Torching the Tris
    No EZ Curl Bar, so I did the usual standing overhead EZ Curl Extensions with the cable, since they had that attachment.
    220x14, 240x12x2

Very frustrated about today, but I got good in-person coaching for the first time since October, so I now have some specific things I can work on and take with me.

starting strength coach development program
    Another bad day. I need someone to massage the crap out of my erectors, especially the right one in the upper lumbar and lower thoracic areas. Then I need 5,000 cals a day and 8 hours sleep each for the next 4 days. If all of this happens, I might be able to salvage this week's Intensity Day. Ugh.

Squat
    Warmup to 395x5x4.
    Notes: Skipped the last set, was beat and right erector was howling. Suckitude.

Press
    Warmup to 198.5x4, 185x4x2
    Notes: Was supposed to be 198.5x5x3. Couldn't make my reps on the first set. After dropping to 185, still couldn't make the reps. 185?!?!? Major suckitude.

Rack Pull
    Warmup to 540x5
    Notes: At least I got one thing as planned today. It was harder than it should have been. Only my second week back on rack pulls, and with my DL numbers, I should be strong enough to rack pull more like 575x5, but I'm being conservative and easing up after pulling that muscle in my back in December trying to do 545x5 too soon. Point being, these were harder than they had any right to be, but at least I still made them. Today, that was a victory.