starting strength gym
Page 69 of 443 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Wolf, I was just reading up you log a little and saw the "no chin up bar" part. I have taken the lat pull down bar and placed it across pieces of equipment with success before to create a makeshift chin up bar. Sounds like you are doing something similar?

What do your warmups look like? 405 for a 450 might be close. Have you thought of doing a little less? 135, 225, 315, 385, 450? How many reps did you do at 405? Hopefully not more than one, how long did you rest? When you miss a rep, do you rest and go back and get the ones you missed for total volume?

Just a few thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by rumblefish View Post
    Hi Wolf, I was just reading up you log a little and saw the "no chin up bar" part. I have taken the lat pull down bar and placed it across pieces of equipment with success before to create a makeshift chin up bar. Sounds like you are doing something similar?
    Depending how the weird angled handles are constructed, you can sometimes do this with a LPD bar, body bar, some other straight bar. But it's obviously crucial that the bar not move or slide at all when you're chinning. In this gym near me that I tried out (the one that was horrible) there isn't even a place to do this. Just angled handles, all of which are too low to the ground to hang from, so have to pick your feet up. I'm only 6' tall and don't have long arms, so this is pretty lame. If everything else is good, it's something you can live with, but the barbell and lifting situation was awful there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    What do your warmups look like? 405 for a 450 might be close. Have you thought of doing a little less? 135, 225, 315, 385, 450? How many reps did you do at 405? Hopefully not more than one, how long did you rest? When you miss a rep, do you rest and go back and get the ones you missed for total volume?

Just a few thoughts...
    Warmups for volume day are like this:
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, work sets x5x5 (390 and 395 the last couple times)
    Occasionally I'll feel the need to break it up a bit more and do something like:
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 295x2, 345x1, work sets

For Intensity Day:
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 295x2, 365x1, 405x1, 5RM

With a 1RM of 500 or so, 1 rep at 405 shouldn't tire me out inordinately such that I can't complete my reps @ 450. I don't mind big jumps well below my max, but when I'm doing an RM of 5 or below, don't like the last jump to be too big. 1 rep @ 90% of 5RM / 80% of 1RM, followed by ~5 mins rest, then the 5RM attempt shouldn't wear me out.

As far as missing: the first week I missed 450, I rested somewhere between 5-8 minutes and did a single @ 475. This last week, I rested about the same, then did a triple @ 405. This was so Josh could watch some more of my reps for coaching and feedback.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 04-03-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Got a massage yesterday. He spent about 35 of the 50 minutes on my fucked up erectors, especially the right one. When he saw my back he said, "What the...it looks like you have a load of bread baked into your right erector!" Yes, it was that hyperactive and inflamed. The massage helped a bunch, but they definitely need more work. I will be rumble rolling and lacrosse balling them tonight and tomorrow, and will decide Friday whether to try some type of intensity day or not. I may need another massage to get this in order.

Today didn't squat at all, just very light UB work. Callador himself might be proud. Also helped an acquaintance with her squats. She was having knees out and knee slide problems, which we got on the right track with a makeshift variation of the TUBOW.

Bench Press
    45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 175x5, 205x5, 245x5, 275x5
    Notes: So, so close. But not quite ready yet. Felt just the slightest bit of - once again, not pain but - something wonky at the very bottom at 275. Still, 2 months ago this was happening @ 175, so progress is progress. 275 didn't feel that hard, either. It's 60 lbs below my best set of 5 @ 335, but considering I have literally not trained bench in 4 months, not bad.

Chins
    3 sets of 10
    Notes: Ho hum.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I'm either going to switch to singles or doubles on Friday, or back everything up and re-set on 3x5's and work back up that w
    Run 3 sets of 2 for as long as you can, and then switch to 5 singles across. Don't reset down to 5s for your ID day. Get 500 on the bar. Funny how 500 all of a sudden makes 450 start feeling light.....

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Run 3 sets of 2 for as long as you can, and then switch to 5 singles across. Don't reset down to 5s for your ID day. Get 500 on the bar. Funny how 500 all of a sudden makes 450 start feeling light.....
    Thanks for the advice Andy. After some thought, I was planning to do the following on Friday:
    A heavy triple (starting at 455 this week), followed by 2-3 singles @ 10-15 lbs higher than the triple.

My thought was along the same lines as yours - to just keep getting more weight on the bar, with a similar amount of total reps to the one set of five, but divided differently and slightly higher total volume due to the higher weight and possible 6th rep.

Do you strongly prefer the three doubles to the triple and 2-3 slightly heavier singles?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Thanks for the advice Andy. After some thought, I was planning to do the following on Friday:
    A heavy triple (starting at 455 this week), followed by 2-3 singles @ 10-15 lbs higher than the triple.

My thought was along the same lines as yours - to just keep getting more weight on the bar, with a similar amount of total reps to the one set of five, but divided differently and slightly higher total volume due to the higher weight and possible 6th rep.

Do you strongly prefer the three doubles to the triple and 2-3 slightly heavier singles?
    Yes, I do. A heavy triple followed by heavy singles scares the fuck outta me from a recovery standpoint. I think you will find that a triple feels too damn close to a set of 5. There seems to be a difference between the effects of doubles vs triples in my experience. The doubles are far enough away from the 5s to feel like you are getting a "break" from grinding, but they still put some good weight on the bar. Run with the doubles for a while. I think you will like it. Make Friday your focus and don't be afraid to drop Monday's weight a bit if you need too.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    any recommendations, massage wise? I'm always looking for people who know what they are doing and will dig until something gets fixed. I don't mind the old chinese men on St. mark's, but sometimes change can be nice.
    I see a guy named Geoff at Equinox Tribeca. He's quite good. Massages there are pricey though, so I'm also looking for someone closer to me and preferably less expensive. I have a lead I'll be calling within the next few weeks probably.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    Also, what have you ended up doing gym wise?
    Long story. Email me if you really want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Yes, I do. A heavy triple followed by heavy singles scares the fuck outta me from a recovery standpoint. I think you will find that a triple feels too damn close to a set of 5. There seems to be a difference between the effects of doubles vs triples in my experience. The doubles are far enough away from the 5s to feel like you are getting a "break" from grinding, but they still put some good weight on the bar. Run with the doubles for a while. I think you will like it. Make Friday your focus and don't be afraid to drop Monday's weight a bit if you need too.
    I was thinking since it's a heavy triple but not a 3RM (at least to start), and heavy but not limit singles, I'd be OK. But I will defer to your experience here and go with the three doubles. My erectors are a lot better than Monday, so I'm going to do it tomorrow, though may scale back the weight if the erectors flare up during warm-ups. Getting another massage after training, which should help finish the job of calming them down some.

Thanks again for your help here.

Decent day considering I almost didn't train. Massage on Tuesday and no squatting Weds helped right erector calm down, but was still feeling it today. Scheduled another massage (25 minutes this one, a quickie) for today. Was going to train first, but decided to train after. Right decision. It's still a little hyper-active, but so much less than prior to the massages. Will be icing, rolling, and Vitamin I-ing over the weekend.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 295x2, 365x1, 415x1, 455x2x3 (3 doubles)
    Notes: A little slower than I would have liked, but no problems. As expected, body is significantly less beat-up than after going for a set of 5 @ 450. listed warmups again because some were asking about them recently.

Press
    45x5, 95x5, 135x3, 185x1, 210x5 - PR, 227.5x1x2 - PR (2 singles)
    Notes: 210 was WAY easier than 208 last week, despite my not even coming close to completing volume day's presses Monday. Must have been fatigued/under-recovered last Friday and Monday. Maybe erectors affected this too. I've been stronger overhead before, but have never actually done these numbers before, since when I was stronger, I was focusing more on the bench and wasn't pressing anywhere near maxes. So these are technically PRs, even though I am not yet as strong overhead as I have been. Still, a PR is a PR, as Mac has convinced me.

Power Cleans
    135x3x2, 155x3, 175x3, 195x3, 205x3, 215x3x2
    Did 8 total sets, none heavy enough to elicit any actual stimulus, but worked on the technique faults that Josh helped me identify last week. Wasn't perfect, but was MUCH better today. Stayed out over the bar better, and other than 2-3 reps over the 24, didn't jump early either. BONUS: I also managed not to tear open this awful scab I've been tearing open every Monday and Friday the last few weeks, and it bleeds like a Mofo. If I can get through Monday's deadlifts OK, it should be gone by next Friday.

Torchin' The Tris
    Standing OH Extensions with EZ-Curl Bar + 50 lbs x13x3
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 04-05-2013 at 06:00 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Volume Day today nearly did me in. I was feeling fine all weekend, then my left hip inexplicably tightened up today. I thought that would annoy me while squatting, but I didn't even notice it. What I did notice was the headache that started during warmup sets and was a pounding hammer by end of work set #2. Saved by the lovely and talented GM, who had a couple advil liquigels for me. I downed them, but still barely made it through the next three sets. Had to take 10 mins between sets 3 and 4, and 4 and 5. And 15 more mins before I started empty bar pressing. Lay down on the floor like a fuckin crossfitter for the first 5 mins after the fifth set. Embarrassing. I started getting nauseous at this point too. Was going to pack it in, but after 15 mins felt a little better so warmed up for the press and played it by ear. Nausea abated and headache calmed to manageable levels, probably thanks to the advil, so I pushed on and made all my sets and reps for the day.

But jumpin jillikers Batman, this was a fucking hell of a training session.

Squat
    Warmups to 395x5x5
    Notes: Hard as grizzly old balls. See above.

Press
    Warmups to 198.5x5x3 - PR for 3 sets of 5.
    Notes: After the squats, I wasn't even sure I'd make the first rep, even though I was feeling a lot better by that point. But they all went. Rested a bit longer between sets than usual for pressing, 5-6 mins (usually 3-5).

Deadlift
    Warmups to 505x5 - PR
    Notes: I actually felt pretty OK by this point, so this was the easiest part of the workout. Switched from hook to mixed for the last rep, and didn't pull it in well / adjust for the supinated hand, so last one got away from my shins and mid-foot a bit, making it harder than it should have been.

Deadlift Video:

Steve, if you're watching this: I know I still need more SQUOZE, especially as the set goes on. But this is definitely better than 500x5 a couple weeks ago.

Very glad this is over.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 04-08-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added video