starting strength gym
Page 73 of 443 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Don't worry Rori, you'll handle doing Texas just fine. Question is will Texas be able to handle you?

Nice easy recovery day today, with my first planned-in-advance bench work in a loooooong time. The gym itself was very somber. A personal trainer on staff who I knew a little bit died in a car/motorcycle accident Monday night. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, and the tone of the gym was understandably subdued. A lot of people came back from the service during my workout. I didn't know Rashid well outside of the gym, but he was always nice and pleasant and could actually give a good hand-off in the bench press. He was my go-to for hand-offs when he was around. You left us far too soon and will be missed.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 195x5, 255x5, 315x5
    Notes: Not quite as stiff as last week, but still somewhat stiff (that's what she said).

Chin-Ups
    Weighted: +27.5 x5x3 then unweighted: 1 set of 10
    Notes: None

Bench Press
    45x5, 115x5, 175x5, 215x5, 255x5, 285x5, 315x3
    Notes: 285 was pretty easy but didn't want to do another set of 5, so went to 315 figuring it would be a double. Turns out it was a fairly easy triple. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come in terms of regaining my bench and hitting 400 in a meet.

Afterwards: Chipotle. Obviously.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 04-24-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Finally a day when everything went well. I've been having X or Y go well, but it's been a while since everything (mostly) clicked on the same day.

Squat
    Warm-ups to 470x2x3 (3 doubles)
    Notes: The first set was THE best set of squats I've done since my last meet, no doubt about it. No knee slide, vertical bar path, they practically popped. Felt as if I could have done that set with 495. Of course I set up my phone to video, hit the button...and forgot to switch the mode to video from camera. So have a nice shot of the empty rack on what was the best set I've done in at least 5 months. Fack. The next two sets weren't perfect but were still fine. Last rep of the bunch was hard.

Press
    Warm-ups to 217x5, 235x1x2
    Notes: Fifth rep at 217 was hard, but better than 5th rep at 215 last week. First rep at 235 was slow as fuck. 2nd rep popped. This is the second week in a row I've had problems with the first heavy single after the 5RM. Last week I failed altogether, and this week almost did. Maybe need to rest more between the two.

Power Cleans
    135x3, 1603, 185x3, 205x3, 225x3, 240x3x2
    Notes: Finally a not-terrible day with these. I wouldn't go so far as to say they were good - if they were, I'd be doing 275 or so for triples across - but they were better than they've been since the back injury. Started splitting a bit at 240, but not much. I hit my jumping position better, stayed out over the bar better. Need to work on stomping, I land with my feet in weird positions sometimes. It would be nice to have wood or solid rubber mats under my feet, but I can do much better than this even with what I've got.

Torchin the Tris
    Standing OH Tri Extensions with EZ-Curl Bar + 60lbs x 12, 13

Felt good today overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post

Squat
    Warm-ups to 470x2x3 (3 doubles)
    Notes: The first set was THE best set of squats I've done since my last meet, no doubt about it. No knee slide, vertical bar path, they practically popped. Felt as if I could have done that set with 495.
    Told ya.

The stars must be aligned. Glad everything is feeling good! I guess you will be doing the meet in July....Did you get your myoroller?

I guess he will competing in July too.

Wolf 400X5X5 was exactly as you called it. Thank you for the advices.

Tough volume day today. Once again, squats were my nemesis. I was victorious in today's battle, but there were many casualties on both sides. A bloody mess.

Squat
    Warm-ups to 410x5x5
    Notes: Even the first rep of set #1 felt heavy, so I knew I was in for a treat today. I felt like I didn't have good control of any parts of my body while squatting today, knees included. Didn't record anything so I can't go back and watch, but these were hard and felt a little sloppy. Had to rest longer from the get-go. 6-8 minutes between all sets.

Press
    Warm-ups to 203.5 x5x3
    Notes: None

Rack Pulls
    Warm-ups to 560x5
    Notes:Felt better than 560 a couple weeks back. Pretty hard but not bone crushing. Better than 550 a couple weeks back. Still using an alternate grip and no straps, for now.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 05-01-2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: forgot my 1/2 lb on the press

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Told ya.
    You did. Glad I listened. Will be interesting to see how long I can run them for.

Quote Originally Posted by RoriMegan View Post
    The stars must be aligned. Glad everything is feeling good! I guess you will be doing the meet in July....Did you get your myoroller
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    I guess he will competing in July too.
    Wolf 400X5X5 was exactly as you called it. Thank you for the advices.
    Boy, no pressure or anything huh? I really don't think July is enough time for me to do anything with my bench. I'll probably just have gotten it back to where it was before by then - leaving me ~8 months behind in terms of bench training. I'd like to PR my bench the next time I do a meet, so I will probably be looking at something in September, realistically.

Plus, RPS seems to have a knack for scheduling their meets the weekend we do seminars. We'll be in Denver that weekend. I won't know till it's closer if I'll be working that weekend, but another reason to hold off on the HEATWAVE.

Recovery Day. Erectors felt like hell, but felt better after the work out. Rolled them out on the foam roller and lacrosse balls a lot between sets of squats and bench.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 205x5, 275x5, 315x3
    Notes: Felt like hell so shut it down early.

Bench Press
    45x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 265x5, 300x5, 325x3
    Notes: Did these before the chins this week - as I'm going to be working them in as a main lift again soon, figure I should start treating them more that way again. Shoulder felt good. 300x5 was a little harder than I expected (especially after 315x3 was pretty easy last week), but my previous ramping sets were heavier this week so that's probably a factor as well.

Chin-ups
    Notes: Harder after bench. Biceps got a crazy pump from these. I shit you not. I have had this log on here for 15 months and have not once used the word "pump," but it accurately describes what happened. It was weird.

Rough day today. Rough week this week. I didn't sleep much all week and that may have affected things today. While I won't say I snatched victory from the jaws of defeat, I did work hard to make today not a total loss. Even though it sucked.

Squat
    Warm-ups to 475x2x3 (three doubles)
    Notes: I made all my reps, had to grind a few out. But the knee slide was back in full force today, as if I hadn't spent the past 6 weeks eradicating it to the nether regions of the earth. I didn't film any sets from Monday, but I bet it was back Monday for the 410x5x5 and that's why it felt so off and hard. Both days it felt as if I had very little control over what my body was doing on the descent. Must fix this ASAP.

On the first double, I think I hooked my wrists instead of holding them neutral, and the bar moved up my back a bit. I feel it a little just above the elbow on the lateral side. It's not bad, but I have to be really careful to avoid getting a bout of the dreaded tendinitis. I had it a few months last spring and it just absolutely sucked.

So overall, squats were shitty even though I made all reps.

Press
    Warm-ups to 220x3x2 (two triples)
    Notes: This was supposed to be one set of five, followed by a couple singles at 235. I knew it was an aggressive jump since my arms and shoulders were still feeling a bit tired (possibly from benching Wednesday), and it was a 3lb jump, while I have been making more 1.5-2.5lb jumps. But I was feeling aggressive and went for it. Total fail. I actually missed the 3rd rep of the first set, got so mad that I went back and hit it on the 2nd try. I couldn't get rep #4 though, so I racked it, waited a few minutes, then did another triple with it.

After hitting 217x5 last week, this was very disappointing. I didn't do the singles afterwards, just called it for the press.

It's possible that the elbow situation caused by the squats contributed to this, but I don't think so. It's very mild. I think I just fucked it up today.

Power Clean
    135x3, 160x3, 185x3, 210x3, 230x3, 245x3
    Notes: Was going pretty well until I tore my shin scab back open on the 210 set. It distracted me after that and 230 and 245 weren't so great.

Torchin the Tris
    Standing EZ-Curl OH Extensions: Bar + 65 x 13, 13, 11

Then did some DB Bicep Curls. Yes, really. A few sets of 8 with the 45's.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 05-03-2013 at 03:33 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Ate like shit all weekend, starting with Josh & Shelley's goodbye BBQ and continuing the rest of the weekend. Also didn't feel that good this weekend and slept a lot. Still felt under the weather yesterday so pushed volume day to today, but decided to deload on squats, my body just felt I needed it. Wasn't quite 100% today but went ahead and pushed it, since I was squatting lighter and less volume anyway.

Also the right elbow tendinitis did flare up a bit over the weekend. Drenched it in Ibuprofen (1800mg/day) Sat, Sun, and Mon and it was mostly better today. More importantly, today's squats didn't seem to cause it to flare back up, so I'm hoping I'll be ok.

Squat
    45x5x3, 135x5, 225x5, 295x5, 365x5, 385x5x2
    Notes: Ramping sets of 5. Went lighter for the de-load but kept volume so I wouldn't die next week doing 5x5 again. My lumbar erectors were literally on fire during this whole time. It was actually painful and uncomfortable. Never felt anything like this before, usually it's my thoracic that gives me trouble. Resting, rolling, stretching in between did nothing. Didn't go away till I got into presses. Awful.

Also, during the first set at 385, a guy walked an inch away from my moving barbell and then right in front of me to get the trap bar that was sitting there on the floor. Cause he couldn't wait 15 seconds till the set was over. When I went over and told him never to do that again afterwards, he got really defensive and started trying to say how he didn't do anything wrong. I just said "I'm not going to die in the gym because of an ignorant idiot like you. Don't do it again." and walked away.

Press
    45x5, 95x5, 135x3, 175x2, 205x5x3
    Notes: Felt pretty crappy today after the squats, so was very pleased I got all these. Last rep of set 2 and 3 were both character builders. Hopefully I can get 220x5 on Friday.

Deadlift
    225x4, 365x2, 455x1, 515x5
    Notes: Hard, but not an absolute grind. I imagine this is because I wasn't as tired from doing 5x5 sets across in the squat like I usually do. But I figure this is cancelled out by still not feeling 100%. Happy about it either way. Still need to work on pulling the bar in towards me as the set goes on, and getting SQUOZE for the last couple reps when I get fatigued.

Also, apparently I made a lot of noise putting the weights down while pulling and the store underneath the gym called four times to complain. I would say I need to find a new place to lift...except wait, there are none. Maybe I need to clear enough time in my schedule to go to Brooklyn, difficult as that may be. I'm so tired of making accommodations in every aspect of my lifting and coaching because a bunch of fucking no-nothings run the show.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 05-07-2013 at 02:50 PM.