starting strength gym
Page 74 of 443 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Also, during the first set at 385, a guy walked an inch away from my moving barbell and then right in front of me to get the trap bar that was sitting there on the floor. Cause he couldn't wait 15 seconds till the set was over. When I went over and told him never to do that again afterwards, he got really defensive and started trying to say how he didn't do anything wrong. I just said "I'm not going to die in the gym because of an ignorant idiot like you. Don't do it again." and walked away.

Also, apparently I made a lot of noise putting the weights down while pulling and the store underneath the gym called four times to complain. I would say I need to find a new place to lift...except wait, there are none. Maybe I need to clear enough time in my schedule to go to Brooklyn, difficult as that may be. I'm so tired of making accommodations in every aspect of my lifting and coaching because a bunch of fucking no-nothings run the show.
    I feel your pain, Wolf. Things are not much better here on LI.

I take it you live in an apartment, not a house? No spare room or anything?

I really didn't have to put up with dicks like that at my globo, but the equipment was probably not as nice..

Sigh. Regarding dumbasses and weights making noise...we just need to open our own gym.

I'm sorry about your back : (

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    I feel your pain, Wolf. Things are not much better here on LI.
    Appreciate the commiseration. I can laugh at other people's stupidity but when it significantly affects my lifting, or puts my safety at risk like today, I get pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    I take it you live in an apartment, not a house? No spare room or anything?

I really didn't have to put up with dicks like that at my globo, but the equipment was probably not as nice..
    Correct. I take it you're not too familiar with NYC, Steve? At least in Manhattan, there's pretty much no such thing as houses. There are a few "townhouses" here and there but A) They cost upwards of $5 million, often more than $10 million and B) You probably wouldn't recognize them as houses from the outside, they're not separate pieces of property and kind of look like brownstones from the outside.

I live in an (approx) 500-550 sq ft "Junior 1BR" apartment, which means it was a studio that was converted to a 1BR, so the bedroom is small and the apartment is small overall. No spare room (ha!). 8 foot ceilings. And without giving the exact figure, it's expensive as hell. You'd probably be shocked if I told you the monthly rent. Yes, it's crazy. And I have thought about it for hours but don't see how I can fit a rack in here. The only saving grace is that I have about 700 sq ft of outdoor space that's all mine. Doesn't sound like much, but in Manhattan, this is exceptionally rare and a really big deal.

I would cover some of that up and put a gym/equipment out there, but it's illegal according to NYC building code, and would need to be taken down if the city became aware of it and subject to a $5,000 fine. Yes, I checked. Fucking NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by RoriMegan View Post
    Sigh. Regarding dumbasses and weights making noise...we just need to open our own gym.

I'm sorry about your back : (
    I'm with you on the gym. I'm trying not to whine about this as often, because I've done more than my fair share of it, but ya, it's fucking frustrating. I can't see how you can open a small strength training gym in my neighborhood for less than $300,000 in start-up money. We need to start playing the lottery.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 05-07-2013 at 09:36 PM.

I kinda new some of that, but that REALLY paints a picture for me. You need to move, lol

...or win the lottery, of course

Your porch is awesome.

I honestly don't know how you do it.

Time to load up the Conestoga and head west.

Ha, ha, good one Steve-- "spare room" in Manhattan. That's like having an "extra" Porsche in your driveway...

Wolf, your back description sounds like how mine felt yesterday. Just on fire the entire session. Sucks balls that does.

Maybe if you moved to Brooklyn it would make things easier. Probably crazy, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Manhattan is for millionaires and partiers. You're neither.

starting strength coach development program
    Wolf, I hate Manhattan and you do too. Move.