starting strength gym
Page 76 of 443 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Wolf, just letting it be known that Rori is no longer allowed on your porch. BTW, my favorite part of that evening was Josh's feet not being able to touch the floor while sitting in the big boy chair. Looking forward to getting together again sometime, obviously without Rori.
    LOL. Actual laughing out loud, not this:

Josh's stunted legs were a highlight, but my favorite part was probably having two solid days of meat-based leftovers and beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    480 3x2.

Wow.
    Thanks Mac. If I can keep going for a bit longer, hitting 500 for a double will be a cool milestone. 480 was really hard though, so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    Nice job on the squats buddy, and I'm jealous you've benched 315 for 5's across lol. Hopefully we catch each other soon.
    Thanks man. Haha for the record it was 320x5x3 and 335x5. But your pressing puts me to shame.

Another hellish round of squats on volume day.

Squat
    Warm-ups to 415x5x5
    Notes: Was fooled by the relative ease of the first two sets. Rest between sets increased as follows, in minutes: 5, 6, 7, 10. And probably another 7-8 after the last set before doing anything else. Really had to get myself psyched to do sets 4 and 5. First rep of set 5 I lost all tightness, knees slide, and got a bit on to my toes. Other than that, decent reps.

Bench Press
    45x5, 135x5, 185x3, 235x2, 275x5x3
    Notes: Started conservatively the first time doing sets across in the bench since November. Will jump to 285 on Friday, pressing Wednesday.

Rack Pulls
    Warm-up to 570x5.
    Notes: These felt solid. I'm still alternating grip rather than straps. I'll do this as long as I can. Once grip becomes an issue, it makes sense to strap for these but if I can train my grip up at heavier weights without compromising the pull at all, I will.

Video: Upon review, reps 4 & 5 could have been locked out a bit more definitively, but at the time they felt locked out.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 05-13-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Insane pull from the blocks. You make it look like a cakewalk. I'm so bad at rack pulls. Just have to keep working harder.

Ah, recovery day.

Squat
    45x5x3, 135x5, 205x5 and that's all she wrote.
    Notes: Wanted to give my back and elbows a break, so just used this as a general warm-up, really.

Press
    Warm-ups to 205x5, 212.5x3, 220x1, 170x5
    Notes: Switching to a split routine doesn't fit well with my schedule right now, so the goal is to get enough work on the press on Wednesdays of Bench Weeks such that it doesn't fall off due to not being trained (and lack of heavy bench press the first few weeks) during that period.

Basic plan is a heavy but not limit five, triple, and single, then a back-off five. I haven't set exact %'s for this, but I was fairly aggressive today: my five was 93% of my 5RM, my triple was 92% of my estimated 3RM, and then my single was 89% of my estimated 1RM. Back off five was 77% of my max five. We'll see what happens.

Chins
    BW x 8; BW+25 lbs x 5,5,5; Pulldowns Chin-Style: 160x8
    Notes: Since I only got in two workouts last week (Tues/Fri), I didn't chin. Plus my elbow. So I went back to +25 for this week. It was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Insane pull from the blocks. You make it look like a cakewalk. I'm so bad at rack pulls. Just have to keep working harder.
    Thanks man. Really bustin' to pull 650 at a meet this year. I'm bad off the floor and decent at rack pulls, so it's just capturing an advantageous moment.

Intensity Day, biatches!

Squat
    Warm-ups to 485x2x3
    Notes: First set was great, really popped. The second rep of the third set was quite hard to complete, really had to grind. I will run this as long as I can but a switch to singles across may be coming.

Bench Press
    Warm-ups to 285x5x3, 335x3
    Notes: 285 was easy, solid. The 335 was a gratuitous submission to my ego, which demanded to see what I could do with it. I was OK with 3, considering it was after the "work sets" and was my previous 5RM. Ex post facto, I'm using this as my "wanted to get my tris more heavy work" excuse.

Power Cleans
    135x3, 160x3, 185x3, 205x3, 225x3, 235x3, 240x2
    Notes: Just kind of ran out of gas, so didn't push it on the 240 and stopped after 2. Took good care of my legs this week so didn't open any bleeders up on the left shin. Should be good to go for 520x5 deadlifts on Monday.

Tris
    Satisfied by bench press, see above.

Bis - Standing Alt DB Curls
    50x8x3

Great intensity day Wolf! I'm new to TM and I really like the idea that every Friday - scattered across the country - a bunch of guys are staring down barbells and pushing themselves to a place that seemed impossible months ago. It's a great collective energy. Good luck with Monday's deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Great intensity day Wolf! I'm new to TM and I really like the idea that every Friday - scattered across the country - a bunch of guys are staring down barbells and pushing themselves to a place that seemed impossible months ago. It's a great collective energy. Good luck with Monday's deadlift.
    When you put it that way, it does have a very strong feeling of motivation and responsibility.

Strong work on your squats, Wolf. I am looking forward to the day when I can handle weights like that in my own training.

Thanks again for all of your help yesterday. It was great to meet you.

starting strength coach development program
    485 3x2.

Wow. Just wow.