starting strength gym
Page 84 of 443 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Almost forgot how crappy squatting feels on recovery day. Almost.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5 called it there.
    Notes: No individual muscle or bodypart feels fatigued. Just ALL OF ME feels fatigued. Which is just fine. If 275 on Wednesday feels heavier than 430 on Monday, I'm quite OK with that.

Press
    Warm-ups to 175x5, 195x3, 215x1, 175x5
    Notes: Trying a slightly modified approach to recovery day pressing, along the lines of what I was doing previously. Instead of just doing light pressing, I keep the volume low but touch slightly heavier weights. I just don't like the idea of going 9 full days between any remotely heavy pressing.

Chins
    Notes: It would be a lie to say the last couple reps on each set were strict. Give a chubby dude a break.

C2 Erg
    20s Row/80s rest x 7 @ RPE: 4,7,9,9,10,8,6
    Notes: Didn't record my paces. From memory, I think they were: ~2:20, 1:58, 1:38, 1:35, 1:26, 1:46, 1:59. Could be off. Just slightly more intense than last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Almost forgot how crappy squatting feels on recovery day. Almost.
    Maybe why I stopped doing them. Actually my schedule dictated this more, but when I did M-W-F (and not M-T-F) I found I got more out of the RDL. Until I tweaked my back doing them that is!
    If 275 on Wednesday feels heavier than 430 on Monday, I'm quite OK with that.
    That is kinda cool, yes.

I just don't like the idea of going 9 full days between any remotely heavy pressing.
    Me neither! Good idea.

It would be a lie to say the last couple reps on each set were strict. Give a chubby dude a break.
    At least you got 10. I've been stuck around 7 or 8 for a while. The only reason I hired Jordan was to PR my chins. ;-)

Default In Which I Forget How to Use my Hips

Horrible squatting day today. Between last Friday and today, I seem to have completely forgotten how to power up a squat with my hips. I'm switching from hips to chest early after the bounce, and it's just killing my bar speed and I'm missing reps. I must correct this ASAP.

Despite that, I do have a new PR, though I am not excited about it as I have set the table for much higher strength levels and am not capitalizing at all.

Squat
    Warm-ups to (465x1), 505x1x2 - PR, 505xf, 405x1, 435x1
    Notes: Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. 495x2x3 only three weeks ago was hard but not limit, suggesting to me I should have had a 1RM somewhere in the 515-535 range, depending on the day. Last week I struggled with doubles at 500, and this week my five scheduled singles at 505 didn't happen. I'm pretty sure it's just my hip drive and not too much volume on Monday, because I didn't feel fatigued or beat up. It's just like I forgot how to squat.

Bench Press
    Warm-up to 315x5x3
    Notes: Back to the 3 plates for 5's across. Skipped 312.5 since I felt so strong on Monday's 310. It was fine. I don't feel as strong as I did when I was previously at 315x5x3, but if you do the reps, you do the reps.

Power Cleans
    45x3, 135x3, 160x3, 185x3, 205x3, 225x3x3
    Notes: Like last week, the extra work I did by not hip-driving came back to bite me at power clean time. Was feeling beat but made myself do three sets @ 225 at least, instead of just one.

Bro-Stuff
    Standing EZ-Curl OH Tricep Extensions: Bar + 75x12x2
    Alt DB Culzzzz: 50x8,9

Deep Thought of the Day: Bro work was invented to make us feel better after a shitty squat day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Maybe why I stopped doing them. Actually my schedule dictated this more, but when I did M-W-F (and not M-T-F) I found I got more out of the RDL. Until I tweaked my back doing them that is!
    Ya, that's why I don't really worry about how heavy I go. Some people get fixated on 80%. I see 80% as the ceiling, but lower is absolutely fine and I usually stop at 275, which right now is about 65%.

Me neither! Good idea.
    We'll see how it works. As in all things TM, I'll have to monitor for too much volume, especially since it's recovery day.

At least you got 10. I've been stuck around 7 or 8 for a while. The only reason I hired Jordan was to PR my chins. ;-)
    I didn't know that you were also on the Jordan plan. When is he going to get you to 10???

My 10 were definitely non-strict. Probably 15 for a max set if I was fresh. But in the TM 3-day setup, there really isn't a place to train chins seriously, and I haven't trained them seriously for a prolonged time in a LONG time. So I'm happy with 3-4 sets of 10-12 weighing what I weigh. When I do eventually switch to a split routine, I'll train them more seriously.

Deep Thought of the Day: Bro work was invented to make us feel better after a shitty squat day.
    I thought that's why they invented Chipotle.

Either way good squatting. There's definitely more in there. Off days happen...but then good days happen. So don't sweat it Vulf.

I feel your pain. My 12 week cycle to squat 405 just went up in flames. But this isn't about me...

Well, fuck that, I'm getting a buzz on and it is about me! I'll post my video and maybe you can let me know if you see anything.

But seriously, bummer to PR but be disappointed. All part of the ups and downs of getting stronger I guess. Good for you to get back to 3 plates across on the bench-- you can't deny that rocks. Even the brahs gotta respect.

Deload. You need a light week, then a high week, then back at it at full intensity.

Hint:

You're not a Novice.

Hint:

You're a late stage intermediate lifter. Weekly gains are going to be tough if looking for 5lbs, and 500lb squats are going to beat you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    I thought that's why they invented Chipotle.
    Haha, touche my friend. Bro work AND Chipotle. The Dynamic Duo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Either way good squatting. There's definitely more in there. Off days happen...but then good days happen. So don't sweat it Vulf
    Trying not to sweat it. Good days ahead.
    I feel your pain. My 12 week cycle to squat 405 just went up in flames. But this isn't about me...

Well, fuck that, I'm getting a buzz on and it is about me! I'll post my video and maybe you can let me know if you see anything.

But seriously, bummer to PR but be disappointed. All part of the ups and downs of getting stronger I guess. Good for you to get back to 3 plates across on the bench-- you can't deny that rocks. Even the brahs gotta respect.
    Ha! It is ALL about you Rob, even in my log. Awesome. Ya, after the 495 doubles and even the two doubles at 500, 505 should have been no problem for singles, so it was disappointing. Nonetheless, I have some perspective. I am glad to have gotten to the point where I can still hit 505 twice on a day when I'm not firing on all cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Deload. You need a light week, then a high week, then back at it at full intensity.

Hint:

You're not a Novice.

Hint:

You're a late stage intermediate lifter. Weekly gains are going to be tough if looking for 5lbs, and 500lb squats are going to beat you up.
    You think? My thoughts were that I had two deload weeks already in the past month: both to deal with some nagging injuries, knee and back, but still. And I haven't pulled heavy since the 605 a few weeks ago. I figured I should not be overtrained at this point after all that.

Wolf, apologies if I've missed this somewhere else in your log, but why standing vs. lying triceps extensions? Lack of spotter? Less stress on your shoulder?

And nice work on the PR even if it wasn't quite what you were looking for.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Ghost View Post
    Wolf, apologies if I've missed this somewhere else in your log, but why standing vs. lying triceps extensions? Lack of spotter? Less stress on your shoulder?

And nice work on the PR even if it wasn't quite what you were looking for.
    When I realized I needed to add tricep work to continue progressing on the press (in absence of heavy benching, since my shoulder was injured), I talked to Andy Baker (KSC) about it and he suggested the Standing OH Extensions with the EZ-Curl Bar. I don't have a spotter, typically, and he has also found these carry over well to the press. So that's what I went with. Seems they did a good job. Now that I'm benching again, I still do them, but I've recently reduced from 3 sets to 2, since my tris do get a lot of work from the benching I'm now able to do again, and were feeling under-recovered some Mondays.

Thanks - I know I can handle more than this, and will get my squat groove back soon.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-30-2013 at 12:24 PM.