starting strength gym
Page 87 of 443 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Wolf,
    Whatever happened to Dominic frasca's interview with Rip? I've kept checking his site but it hasn't been updated at all.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    RPS will be back on LI in November. You should be all healed up and hitting some big numbers again by then. Just throwing it out there.
    Hello

Quote Originally Posted by rumblefish View Post
    Hey Wolf,
    Whatever happened to Dominic frasca's interview with Rip? I've kept checking his site but it hasn't been updated at all.
    It was a phone interview, and turned out there were some technical difficulties in recording from Dominic's end. He's working to clean them up and then he'll post it. Not sure exactly when, but shouldn't be too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    September...which meet? Will it be in the Garden State? : )
    Indeed, it will be in the State of Gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    RPS will be back on LI in November. You should be all healed up and hitting some big numbers again by then. Just throwing it out there.
    We shall see. If I don't end up doing September, this is a very very likely possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by RoriMegan View Post
    Hello
    Hi.

After 5 full days between training sessions, a weekend of whiskey and little sleep, and travel fatigue, I decided to scale things way back today. The good news: no hip pain whilst squatting and pulling. The bad news: while nothing felt heavy, it felt heavier than it ought to have, considering the relatively light weights I used. I'm not too worried as training has been so inconsistent lately and this past weekend just fried me. I'll go a bit heavier Friday and see what happens.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 205x5, 275x5, 315x5, 365x5
    Notes: Ramping 5's, nothing much to say here. Focused on staying tight and not letting knees slide, as they want so badly to do.

Press
    45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 175x5, 195x3, 215x1, 175x5
    Notes: I haven't had a full week of pressing in quite a while, so did my usual Weds/Recovery Day protocol here. The first set at 175 felt a bit hard, but 195 and 215 were easier so I calmed the fuck down.

Deadlift
    185x5, 275x3, 365x1, 415x5, 455x1, 505x1
    Notes: I scaled WAY back here, all the way down to 415x5. It was pretty easy, but felt appropriate for the day. Then singles @ 455 and 505, which both felt better than last Thursday. I'll probably warm-up to 3 singles @ 505 on Friday, and get back to 5's Monday, starting at 435 and jumping by 20, then 10, then 5.

Plan for Friday is (not in order) those 505 singles in the pull, squat 365x5x3, and bench press 322.5x5x3.

You're the 2nd (jewish) SS coach to mention whiskey and lack of sleep this week... I can only assume they are related and that Mr. Rippetoe is having a bad impact on his boys' rest and recovery.

Friday sounds like a good place to start-- glad to hear your hip is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    You're the 2nd (jewish) SS coach to mention whiskey and lack of sleep this week... I can only assume they are related and that Mr. Rippetoe is having a bad impact on his boys' rest and recovery.

Friday sounds like a good place to start-- glad to hear your hip is better.
    Denver was a particularly tiring weekend, more than usual. Maybe the thin air took it out of us, but 5 hours sleep Friday and Saturday nights felt like 2 hours. If I needed all that to let my hip heal, it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    well, I'm no SS coach, but I'm also a jew who had a bad weekend for recovery of little sleep and whiskey. the stars must be aligning!

Hey wolf, I know I asked before, but I forgot, who do you go to for your massages? IIRC it's a guy at equinox? does he work with non-members and can I get his contact info?

I've gone to 2 different people so far, and neither of them have been willing(or able, I don't know) to do what I want for my knee. One guy did graston, but I think he went way too light, as I barely felt anything. The other guy just "manipulated" the joint(and my spine), and while it felt good, it didn't really change anything. I just want to pay someone who I'm confident knows what I want and can do it.
    I go to a guy named Geoff at Equinox in Tribeca. He's excellent, but AFAIK, he's a massage therapist only. I don't think he does any joint or spinal manipulations; in other words, he stays within his scope of practice. He'll work on muscle and soft tissue. It's expensive, though I get a 10% discount as a member. Non-members don't get the discount. Email me if you want more info.

Massage therapy- I have a good reco. PM me.

All good

starting strength coach development program
    The big de-load (except for bench) continues. At least I hit all my reps today and nothing hurt!

Squat
    Warm-up to 365x5x3
    Notes: Not hard, but of course I think this should fly up and so was pissed when it didn't. But they were fine, plenty of gas in the tank, 4ish mins rest, plus this DEATH HEAT. So it's fine. 375x5x3 Monday.

Bench Press
    Warm-up to 322.5x5x3 - PR for 3x5
    Notes: Solid, no doubt about these. Good to have one lift clicking on all cylinders at least. I video'd my bench, which I don't usually do. Once they're uploaded I'll have a chance to check out my bench and I'm sure see a bunch of things I'm doing less than optimally.

Power Clean (warm-up for deadlifts)
    135x3, 165x2, 185x1, 205x1
    Notes: Felt good.

Deadlift
    275x1, 365x1, 455x1, 505x1x3
    Notes: Holy Lats, Batman! Really focused on pulling the bar in and staying on my legs. Video of the 505s to come.

Video:
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 07-19-2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: added vid