starting strength gym
Page 89 of 443 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    DRAG IT UP!!!!

Yeah I sometimes bridge on a bench and I won't even write down that I did the rep. That was kind of a soft approach. That's like saying "Let's forget this happened." So this training cycle, I'm writing down that I bridged and then I don't count the rep. This is a much more rigid approach. Its like saying "Well, good effort but no dice and too bad you just used up that energy so you failed." That pisses me off and makes me want to correct the issue pronto.

I even re-read the bench section of SSBBT3 and remind myself of the part where it says (paraphrase) "Not everyone who sets their feet under the hips will bridge BUT those who bridge most commonly have their feet too far back under their hips."

Light bulb, I set my feet really far back when I bench...and I have a kind of close stance. SSBBT3 says that a wide stance is seldom a problem and it usually remedies the bridging issue by taking the slack out of the hips.

So, I'm going to fix that bridge and make sure that I don't miss by bridging...its against the rules too; so that's gotta be destroyed ASAP.

Squat
    Warm-ups to 385x5x3
    Notes: Hip felt ok, which is good. It bothers me some when I do certain things, but squatting has been ok so far during the re-load. Knees were ok too. Didn't feel great about these squats, but they were OK and got done. There was literally a circus of things happening all around me at the fucking globo, and as hard as I tried to focus on my spot on the floor, I couldn't help but see some of it in my peripheral vision via the mirror. I could hear and feel some of it too:
    1. Two russian ladies, one quite heavy newbie being "coached" by a skinny-fat friend who knew nothing, first on the squat right next to me (1/8 squats with empty bar and pussy pad) and then the leg extension 5 ft right behind me.
    2. A dude in jeans deadlifting superset with "box" jumps onto the windowsill ledge in the tiny space between me and the russian ladies, so like 3 feet behind me. Onto the windowsill ledge!?!?
    3. A guy in the next rack over (~18-24 inches between the ends of our bars) doing deadlifts seemingly whenever I started a set.

Whine, bitch, and moan. I'm a baby. I did the sets and reps, but it was hard not to get distracted by all this happening literally at once right around me as I squatted.

Press
    Warm-ups to 187.5x5x3
    Notes: Went more conservatively after Monday's work was harder than anticipated, and figured I'd still be a little fatigued from Wednesday's bench. Good move. These felt just right.

Deadlift
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    DRAG IT UP!!!!

Yeah I sometimes bridge on a bench and I won't even write down that I did the rep. That was kind of a soft approach. That's like saying "Let's forget this happened." So this training cycle, I'm writing down that I bridged and then I don't count the rep. This is a much more rigid approach. Its like saying "Well, good effort but no dice and too bad you just used up that energy so you failed." That pisses me off and makes me want to correct the issue pronto.
    Took the Kong's advice and decided if I didn't drag the fucker up, it wouldn't could in my log. So I dragged like a mofo.

Power Clean Warm-Ups
    135x3, 165x3, 185x2, 205x1, 225x1 - all good

Deadlift
    295x2, 385x1, 455x5
    Notes: All dragged. Felt good, tight, fast. Pull seems to be returning. I'll switch to 10lb jumps next week, for 465 and 475.

Good to see the DL coming back. If I get feeling back in my left big toe, I'm bumping mine next week as well.

Josh Wells is offline Starting Strength Coach
    big-O

Nice work wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Good to see the DL coming back. If I get feeling back in my left big toe, I'm bumping mine next week as well.
    Thanks dood. Looking foreward to seeing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Wells View Post
    Nice work wolf.
    Thanks man. Playing catch up isn't fun, but gotta do it.

Squat
    Warm-up to 395x5x3
    Notes: My Squat amnesia has returned in full force. I haven't watched the videos yet (need to upload and combine them), but it's like my body seriously forgot how to squat. WTF?! What I felt - to be confirmed or denied when I see the footage - is uneven descent in terms of knees and leaning over, knee slide, and hip drive that is too quiet. Fuckery.

Bench Press
    Warm-ups to 327.5x5x3 - PR
    Notes: Not as solid as 325 Wednesday, but at least these keep going up. Felt tight/sore in my left pec insertion and felt it during the reps - that may be why these weren't as fast or solid as Wednesday, but got them all done. Watch out 400, I'm coming for you.

Power Clean - warm-up for DLs
    45x3, 135x3, 165x3, 185x2, 2051, 225x1
    Notes: A bit fatigued in the UB after benching, so didn't have fast elbows. Otherwise fine.

Deadlift
    Warm-up to 465x5
    Notes: Didn't feel very solid today, had trouble re-finding a good starting position after the first rep, but they all did feel pretty fast at least. We'll see what video shows. Memory is fading, but I think I dragged them all.

On the bright side WRT my Squat Amnesia - I'll be training with Josh, Shelly, Gillian, John, Rori, and Nick this weekend. Between that bunch of excellent coaches, someone should be able to help. Too bad I'm doing this on a de-load and won't be crushing major weights but I'll have to suck it up and be the weak dude.

Nice bench Jew bro. Looking forward to this weekend!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoriMegan View Post
    Nice bench Jew bro. Looking forward to this weekend!!!
    Me too. Lifting alone sucks monkey balls, and it'll be such a great weekend all around.

Oh, and yesterday's lifts. Squats felt way worse than they look, though they obviously are far from textbook:

starting strength coach development program
    [QUOTE=Michael Wolf;715367
    Thanks man. Playing catch up isn't fun, but gotta do it.[/QUOTE]

I think this may just be the fate of being a strength athlete.... I just need to do it faster next time. It took me over 1/2 the year!

Squats looked decent to me. That was a lot of lifting for one day! FOUR LIFT MONDAY!