starting strength gym
Page 97 of 443 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147197 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I ended up yapping a bunch when I saw a couple people I knew, so it was about an 1:40-1:45, whereas my full TM workouts were taking me 2:15-2:30. But I could have done today's 20-30 minutes faster had I cared to. It'll probably eventually ramp up to a necessary 1:45, but for now with the lighter weights in the 5x5 to start, I could probably do it in 1:15-1:20.

Congrats on the PR, Wolf. Good luck with the new routine.

Squat volume and deadlifts today.

Squat
    Warm-ups to 365x5, 375x5, 385x5, 395x5, 405x5
    Notes: Thought about starting at 395x5x5, but decided on the slow and steady route of giving myself a week to re-acclimate to the volume. I was not locked in on technique today, but these still felt pretty easy as these things go. 405 was a bit harder, but only a bit. Rest went from 4 to 7 minutes over the course of the sets.

Power Cleans to warmup DL
    45x3, 135x3, 165x2, 185x1, 205x1
    Notes: Easy.

Deadlift
    275x3, 365x2, 455x1, 500x5
    Notes: Good to be back in the 500 club for 5 again. First hit this about five months ago, and was damn excited by it. Now I'm spoiled and just expect it.

C2 Erg
    30s Row / 90s Rest x 5 @ 1:40, 1:37, 1:37, 1:38, 1:36
    RPE for these was about 8.5.

Video to follow.

I like the new routine. Solid lifting!

Today's squats and pulls:

Everything looked easy, Wolf. Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Everything looked easy, Wolf. Nice job.
    Thanks John.

Today is unseasonably cool mid-70's, but the gym was cranking the AC like it was 98 and humid, as it was most of July. So it was quite cold in the gym, probably mid 60's, with AC vents blowing cold air every few feet. This is great when it's hot as it often is in August, but today just meant I got really cold between sets. I tried to compensate by staying active, walking, etc between sets, but I never really felt warmed up. Especially with pressing and benching, which don't involve the whole body in the way squatting does, it made today a lot more challenging. Sounds stupid, but it did. Purely subjectively, I think it's easier to get and stay warm when the ambient temperature is lower vs having AC blast on you.

Anyway, Press Intensity, Bench Volume, Chins, other stuff
    Press
    Warm-up to 205x5
    Notes: I should have warmed up longer and better, so this was harder than it needed to be. Didn't feel too heavy at any point, but got a little sloppy and slow. Should have been easy.

Bench Press
    Warm-up to 300x5x5
    Notes: No hand-off, no spotter, no problem. The bench is right in an area where the AC is particularly strong, so I wouldn't stay there between sets. I was legitimately cold doing these.

Chins
    BW x6x3
    Notes: Still sticking with no stretch reflex at the bottom.

Assistancy Stuff
    Slightly Wider Grip Lat Pulldowns, Pull-up Grip: 165x8x2 (I chin at about shoulder width; gripped these a couple inches wider than that)
    Standing EZ Curl Bar OH Tricep Extensions: Bar + 50 x 15; Bar + 55 x 15
    Alt DB Bicep Curlzzzz: 45x8, 50x8

Random Stuff that happened at the gym:
    1. Small asian woman who is a PT Assistant at the clinic there has a ton of potential, but just doesn't get it. She's probably 5' 115. She squats 105x12 easily. But she insists on going ATG, doing sets of 8-12, not shoving her knees out etc... She thinks if she doesn't go so low, her glutes won't fire as hard. She thinks if she uses more weight, all her muscles won't fire properly. She tells me I should stretch for 30 minutes after my workouts and do more abs. She does band lateral walks and one leg bodyweight bridges to "fire her glutes." WHY DON'T YOU JUST PUSH YOUR KNEES OUT WHEN YOU SQUAT, PUT THE BAR LOWER ON YOUR BACK, STOP JUST BELOW PARALLEL, AND USE MORE WEIGHT?!?!? I give up.
    2. Huge jacked dude doing 1/2 ROM chins and pullups of different grip varieties...strapped, but no big deal. Then straps in for seated, plate loaded overhead presses. Sweeeeeet.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 08-22-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Random Stuff that happened at the gym:
    1. Small asian woman who is a PT Assistant at the clinic there has a ton of potential, but just doesn't get it. She's probably 5' 115. She squats 105x12 easily. But she insists on going ATG, doing sets of 8-12, not shoving her knees out etc... She thinks if she doesn't go so low, her glutes won't fire as hard. She thinks if she uses more weight, all her muscles won't fire properly. She tells me I should stretch for 30 minutes after my workouts and do more abs. She does band lateral walks and one leg bodyweight bridges to "fire her glutes." WHY DON'T YOU JUST PUSH YOUR KNEES OUT WHEN YOU SQUAT, PUT THE BAR LOWER ON YOUR BACK, STOP JUST BELOW PARALLEL, AND USE MORE WEIGHT?!?!? I give up.
    2. Huge jacked dude doing 1/2 ROM chins and pullups of different grip varieties...strapped, but no big deal. Then straps in for seated, plate loaded overhead presses. Sweeeeeet.
    Both of these made me laugh. Just part of the deal when you train in a globo gym.

I love the globo gym stories. Every now and then I miss the random amusement. It's not as much fun when everyone in your gym squats correctly

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Today's squats and pulls:
    Those squats looked great. I'm always jealous when I see people crank out a 500 deadlift for reps. Great work.