starting strength gym
Page 102 of 443 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Dude, you were practically standing straight up on that 505 miss. I know, easy for me to say, but man that was freaking close.

I almost tried to arrange with you to work out today during lunch, kind wish I had. Who all is coaching today?

Too bad about Dino BBQ! I got an invite out to Rockaway from my cousin who I don't see enough so I'm headed out there tonight.

Anyway, good lifting. I like your plan for the meet...
    Ya, after I watched the vid I was actually really upset I missed that. I was practically standing up already. But I ran out of gas, I didn't stop pushing. Just so stupid.
    We had me, Steve, Dana, Nick, and Osorio as staff this weekend. Stef got to stay home with her doggies.

I'm excited for this meet even though I'm not expecting, and won't even attempt, any big PRs unless I feel ridiculously locked in and wired on my earlier attempts. Just the idea of getting back under the bar under meet conditions is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Dude its fine. Just remember that that kid with the red shirt side spotting you squatted 65 more pounds than that with a pause in the July meet. That will motivate you to find some gas somewhere....somewhere enough to finish the rep.

Either way, you are so strong right now but you ayn ee know it.
    That punk kid with the red shirt is a beast, the little bastard! I know with absolute certainty that I'm significantly stronger than I was last December when we Carnaged. My volume work and heavy 5s show it - I couldn't do 405x5x5 before that meet, and last week I did it and it wasn't hard. Same for bench. I just haven't done any work to acclimate to the heavy stuff and the motor unit recruitment that requires.

So though I should finish better than the 1445 I did in December, if I don't, no big deal. Now, if I don't hit AT LEAST 1525 in November, I'll be pissed. 1550 should be a realistic goal, and 1590 a stretch goal if I'm on like Donkey Kong.

Since I'm not really tapering, I worked up to approx openers and then did just a little bit of volume so I could more quickly return to normal volume after the meet.

Squat
    475x1, 405x5, 365x5
    Notes:
    I missed getting the good rack by literally 3 seconds, as this annoying short woman walked up to it and got it right before me. So I had to squat with my feet standing on cracks in the floor instead of more solid ground. Ah well, fuck.

475 was OK but not as easy as Friday or as I thought it would be. Still deciding whether to open with 465 or 475.

Bench Press
    325x1, 345x1, 355x1 - all paused. Then 315x5x2
    Notes:
    Not much to report, all felt about as expected. Will probably open at 350. Since RPS uses the higher and softer benches made more for geared lifters, I will be more conservative on my first attempt.

Deadlift
    135x3, 225x2, 315x2, 405x1, 455x1
    Notes: Done with rest only to change the plates. Didn't want to pull at all this close to the meet, but after realizing I was going to have alternate grip and not hook, I wanted a bit of practice doing that. So I worked up to ~75% for a single all with the alternate grip to re-acclimate to it.

I have to say that it sucks. After hooking for a solid 9 months, the alternate grip feels so weird and foreign. I pulled the 605 back in June this way, but otherwise don't think I've pulled with an alternating grip since December.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-10-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Last day in the gym before the meet.

Press
    Up to 225x1, then 195x5, 185x5
    Notes:
    Pretty smooth and easy.

Power Clean
    45x3, 135x3, 155x3, 175x3, 185x3, 195x3
    Notes: Took it easy here so I get some recovery especially for pulling. I started focusing more at 185 on pulling the bar into my legs the entire way up, and they started flying. Felt like 255x3 would have happened today.

C2 Erg
    30s Row/90s Rest x 4
    All done around 1:36-1:37 pacing. Not very hard, just a bit of work.

I would make your opener easy. It will settle you down and help with confidence. I don't know, it's a warm-up meet right? I would stay conservative and shoot for 9/9.

I love sharing my two cents! Hope you fun dude-- are you lifting on Saturday or Sunday?

I would make your opener easy. It will settle you down and help with confidence. I don't know, it's a warm-up meet right? I would stay conservative and shoot for 9/9.

I love sharing my two cents! Hope you fun dude-- are you lifting on Saturday or Sunday?
    I agree, everything should be smoked with your 3rds being an RPE of 9 because you're using this as a training meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I agree, everything should be smoked with your 3rds being an RPE of 9 because you're using this as a training meet.
    Using that strategy, I'd total less but since a big total isn't the point here, the best thing to do would be throw away ego and essentially have this week be a de-load in volume with Saturday as an intensity day. And this makes more sense anyway because I'd rather have a lower total now but nail November than a higher total now but fail November.

Using this strategy, I'd open with something like 455/340/550 and (depending upon 2nd attempt feels) finish with ~500/370/610.

November I want to hit at least 525/385/650, with a chance to make a run for 540/400/700 if I'm hitting on all cylinders that day. That's really the goal here, not what I do this weekend. Of course, this also assumes my left shoulder/pec thing clears up. Since it's worst at the bottom of the bench, it's leading to a larger than usual differential between paused and touch-n-go reps. I'm pretty sure I could touch and go 405 right now, but don't know if I have more than 375 with a legit pause.

Rob - I'll be lifting Saturday morning, 9am session. I don't like lifting in the morning, but at least I'll be done and home at a reasonable hour instead of 1am.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-12-2013 at 08:45 AM.

The Jewish PL mob has spoken!

I like that plan Wolf. Go with it.

I like how the Jewish PL Mob are the only ones who have commented on the meet that I'm doing on a day that is both Shabbat and Yom Kippur.

Wait, it's Yom Kippur?

starting strength coach development program
    Wait, it's Yom Kippur?
    It is.

After a hell of a time getting here, i just weighed in at 266.6. Ham and cheese sandwich now. Jewin' out.

Openers are 455/340/550. Went conservative. Obviously I'll play by ear based on how each attempt feels but the basic plan is:

Squat: 455, 480, 500
    Bench: 340, 360, 370
    Deadlift: 550, 585, 615

Going 9/9 with these numbers yields a 1485 total, which would be OK considering where I am with my training right now (just coming off a de-load, and not having had time to train back up and peak at all). I could potentially have more in me on all three lifts, but third attempts are not absolute shoe-ins. I'll make them on an average day but not a bad day. So I make tomorrow NOT a bad day and get that 1485, on the way to 1550+ in November.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-13-2013 at 04:26 PM.