starting strength gym
Page 122 of 443 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172222 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Congrats on your space. I hope it works out well for you.

Back on the gainzzzz wagon today, though it'll be at least a few weeks before I PR anything. But did start the first workout in climbing back up towards higher volume and intensity work. I have my eyes on a mid-late May meet (you reading this Walter?) as my next one, so thinking about a mini peak for the upper body in February, then a full peak before that meet, with deloads as necessary along the way.

As far as squats and pulls, I figure I'll get my squat back up to previous levels (low 500's) by late January and my DL (low-mid 600's) probably a little before that. So I should have about 14-15 weeks to make progress before the meet. The stretch goal from this far removed a distance is a 1655 total raw with sleeves, which would qualify me as Pro/Elite. That could reasonably break up into something like 555/425/675. If I can actually manage to remain uninjured, however, even a bad training cycle or bad meet day should still leave me with something like 530/415/650 and a total at or close to 1600.

Anyway, enough musing. Too far out to make predictions with any accuracy.

One note: I had to bring my bar to my new training space (because I needed a bar, obviously), so when training at the gym now, I am using their shitty gym bars. It'll be at least a couple weeks before I'm doing anything heavy enough for this to limit me, but it does make otherwise easier sets, slightly (or more than slightly) harder.

Today's work:

Bench Press
    335x5
    Notes: Felt about like I expected it to: a challenging set but plenty of gas in the tank. I estimate my 5RM at peaking the other week of about 365 or so. So dropped a little less than 10% of that and going to work my way back up in 5's as long as I can.

Squat
    45x5x2, 95x5, 135x5, 175x5, 205x5, 225x5
    Notes: Come at me bro, I've gone from 115x5 to 225x5 in two weeks. Barely even had to rest. Ya, that's right. Oh, and I'll hit 245x5 tomorrow, suckas.

Press
    185x5, 195x5, 205x5
    Notes: Just wanted to feel these out and get used to a bit of volume again. 185 was easy, 195 was medium, 205 was fairly challenging. So I'll plan next week to do 5x5 @ 165, 175, 185, 195, 205, and then resume 5x5 @ 190 after that.

Chins
    3 sets of 5
    Notes: First time doing actual chins since some time in the summer, IIRC. Felt fine. Whatever was bugging my shoulder about these a few months ago was not present at all today. I will add volume slowly, but am hopeful I will do real chins and pullups instead of just chin-downs and pull-downs this cycle.

C2 Rower
    Just tested out a cruise of 200m at a 2:00 pace. Back felt fine. I can start working these in again - tomorrow. Frankly, given my lack of any conditioning work at all since September, I'm surprised this single easy effort didn't wind me.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 11-26-2013 at 04:38 PM.

2014 is the year of the Capricorn.

I made that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    2014 is the year of the Capricorn.

I made that up.
    Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Congrats on your space. I hope it works out well for you.
    Thanks Chebass. Much appreciated.

More rehabby squats today + power cleans. Forgot my belt at home; normally I don't belt up till over 315 but I've been belting for much lighter sets since coming back from the back issue the last couple weeks. Felt OK without it today, but it would be better if I didn't forget it like a moron in the future.

Also, I have now added 135 lbs to my squat in 15 days. Who wants to buy my e-book??

Squat
    95x5, 135x5, 175x5, 205x5, 225x5, 250x6
    Notes: All fine. Went wild and crazy and added 25 lbs, instead of 20, to the last set, so I can do the same Saturday and hit 275. Added a 6th rep to that last set as well, since the Kirk Karwoski psyche-up music was playing. I couldn't not.

Power Clean
    95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 155x3, 175x3, 185x3
    Notes: All pretty easy and fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBdk-UwSO9c

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I have my eyes on a mid-late May meet (you reading this Walter?) as my next one, so thinking about a mini peak for the upper body in February, then a full peak before that meet, with deloads as necessary along the way.
    I may be the problem on this one as it looks like we might host a SS Level II at my home gym that weekend. We haven't finalized but that is the date we are targeting. Obviously, if that happens, I won't make NJ. I'll let you know once we have it finalized.

Congrats on your own space! I was thinking about your DL issue. TPS in Everett, MA is on the second floor and they built a platform with tires in the middle to buffer vibrations. I don't know how they support it in the middle; you might shoot Murph an email and ask if the airex pads really suck. I've lifted on it and it feels solid underfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    I may be the problem on this one as it looks like we might host a SS Level II at my home gym that weekend. We haven't finalized but that is the date we are targeting. Obviously, if that happens, I won't make NJ. I'll let you know once we have it finalized.
    Your HOME gym is large enough to host a level II? God damn. Well, I might be needed as staff in that case anyway. I haven't checked any dates yet, not even sure the meet is yet scheduled, but we're assuming May 17 as the Saturday, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by jenica View Post
    Congrats on your own space! I was thinking about your DL issue. TPS in Everett, MA is on the second floor and they built a platform with tires in the middle to buffer vibrations. I don't know how they support it in the middle; you might shoot Murph an email and ask if the airex pads really suck. I've lifted on it and it feels solid underfoot.
    Thanks Jenica! I imagine, depending on the size of the platform, you could do it in a number of different ways. My place is so small, and the ceiling so low, I'm not sure it would work, but it's definitely a good idea worth looking into. The ceiling is now 8', but I'm getting it raised. However, based on the limitations of the building, I don't think I'll be able to go higher than 9'6" or 10' tops. I need to be sure tall people with long arms can still go overhead while standing on the platform. Thanks so much for thinking of me!

starting strength coach development program
    Million Lift Day today. Between Thanksgiving, local travel, and planning to train with the crew out on LI today, I had to do both Thursday and Friday's lifts today. Unfortunately I had to work and couldn't lift with the crew, but still got it all in. Took a while, but since nothing was really heavy, it wasn't as long as some of the TM days I've had.

I've also taken my B&R to my place, so when I lift at the gym, I'm using shit gym bars. Dislike.

Squat
    45x5x2, 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5
    Notes: All felt great

Press
    215x5
    Notes:
    A little harder than I expected, but still had some gas in the tank.

Bench Press
    285x5, 295x5, 300x5, 305x5, 310x5
    Notes:
    Re-acclimating and ramping to volume. Plan is 340x5 Monday, and then 310x5x5 Thursday on Volume Day.

Deadlift
    405x5
    Notes: First time not doing ramping 5's, but just warming up to a top set of 5. 405 felt harder than I expected subjectively, but it moved fast. I hate deadlifting on shit bars.

Chins
    Notes:
    Added a rep to last time across all three sets. Easy.

C2 Erg
    30s Row/90s Rest x 4
    Paced at 2:01, 1:52, 1:45, 1:39
    Notes: Obviously this isn't very hard rowing, but I haven't done any conditioning since early September, so I expected it to be harder. Just getting my body primed to begin to do a bit of regular conditioning again.

Took 2 hours 10 min in total. Then I got a massage, then chipotle. Dinner tonight out in Queens with lots of great SS people. Can't wait.