starting strength gym
Page 128 of 443 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138178228 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I speak elvish, both Quenya and Sindarin, ... But have no idea what you just wrote.
    ^^^I have no idea what you just wrote, either :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Wow, you'd think I squatted high or something.
    The two sins are approximately equivalent in the eyes of The Barbell Gods.

Moreover, IT WAS A TYPO. I's not ingnorant or nothing.
    I see what ya did there.

Just bustin on ya Rob.

Missed one rep today, but it was a rep I should have made so that makes it feel like a bad day even though it wasn't. My left upper trap started bothering me when I began warming up my presses; or, rather, that's when I noticed it. Not bad but just enough to be irritating. Maybe that was the cause.

Press
    227.5x4 - failed 5th rep; rested ~90s and did one more rep.
    Notes: This set was hard from the very first rep; usually even a max set of 5 in the press goes up easy the first couple of reps. What was it? The irritated trap, the crappy gym bar and sliding plates, just a bad day? It doesn't matter. I should have made the whole set of five, but I pussed out. I will reclaim it.

Bench Press
    317.5x5x5
    Notes:
    They didn't feel particularly great, but no problem here.

Pulldowns
    220x10x3

Cybex Plate Loaded Rows
    Three 45s and a 25 on each side x 10
    Four 45s on each side x 8

Standing EZ Curl Bar OH Tri Extensions
    Bar + 45/side x 11, 12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=jthrT3JWdew

The rehab continues well.

Squat
    355x5x3
    Notes:
    Some knee slide on the first set. The last two were not perfect, but were much improved, as I recall. Will need to watch the vid, once it's uploaded to confirm.

Deadlift
    465x5
    Notes:
    No problem.

C2 Erg
    20:140 x 6
    Paces: 1:46, 1:38, 1:29, 1:29, 1:28, 1:25
    Then one 250m Row at a 1:45 pace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHQR8YC0wJ4&edit=vd

Very rough day today. My left upper trap was even worse than Thursday, despite not feeling any problems over the weekend and getting a massage Saturday. It pretty much only bothers me when pressing (a lot; more so at the bottom) and the bench (a little). So I thought it had diminished, but it really bugged me while pressing today. I also couldn't get out of third gear today. Usually I train in 4th gear and occasionally catch 5th. I just couldn't get there today.

Bench Press
    355x4 - failed the 5th rep.
    Notes: Trap and 3rd gear problems.

Press
    200x5x4, 200x4
    Notes
    : Trap and 3rd gear problems. 195x5x5 has been done twice recently, both times without any trouble. 197.5 last week was moderately challenging but certainly no grind. And I should not be systemically fatigued, as I have only just gotten back to PRs or even previous weights the past week, and am still not close to heavy weights on squat or DL. Very frustrating. I rolled the trap with a lacrosse ball between sets. It helped some but not enough.

I felt like Lou Gherig in Pride of the Yankees when he's play-wrestling with his wife and suddenly he just doesn't have the strength to overcome her that time. It was very odd. Usually I can fight through a hard or slow rep to finish a set. I had nothing in me today.

Chins
    4 sets of 8

DB Curlz
    55x8, 50x8
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 12-23-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    DB Curlz
    55x8, 50x8
    Just do more of these, they'll make you feel better...

In all seriousness, sorry to hear of your trap problems.

Just do more of these, they'll make you feel better...

In all seriousness, sorry to hear of your trap problems.
    Ya, I should just do curls all week.

I think it is a decree from on high. The Barbell Gods have decided that no matter what else happens in the world, Wolf shall always have something wrong with him for no apparent reason.

Today was fine. Trap woke up worse but has calmed down some as the day has gone on. I would have cut power cleans short if the shrugging motion bothered it but fortunately it didn't.

Squat
    365x5x3
    Notes: no problems. Experimented with a slightly more toe out stance to see if that helped me control my knees better at the bottom. It felt marginally better in that department but at the expensive of hip drive. I need to watch the vids to really evaluate, however.

Power Clean
    95x3, 125x3, 155x3, 175x3, 195x3, 215x3
    Notes: had to remind myself to actually jump hard at 215. I don't think I've been that heavy since the injury in September.

I didn't have a rower to do conditioning so messed around with jerks a bit. I realized that I haven't done a jerk in at least 3 years, have no idea what my actual best jerk is, and when I was last doing them, they were in a less efficient style than I teach now. So I just messed around some with the empty bar up to 85 lbs.

(This was sent from Tapatalk for iPhone blah blah blah but I don't use that silly signature)

starting strength coach development program
    Trap hurt but was better than Monday. Good enough to press. I considered doing wider grip push presses with the bar resting on my delts/chest at the bottom position, to avoid bearing the load on my arms, which pull on my traps, making it hurt the most in that position. But I thought after some warm-ups it was OK enough to press. I think it was, but the trap still affected my pressing for sure.

Press
    230x3, 230x2
    Notes: was supposed to be for two triples but trap said nope.

Bench Press
    320x5x5
    Notes: minor trap irritation but ok.

Pull downs
    220x10x3
    Notes: none

Seated plate loaded high row
    Four 45s on each side x 8 x2

Tris
    One guy was hoggin the sole ez curl bar forever so I did two sets of 10 dips. My trap didn't like. That may have been dumb.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 12-26-2013 at 07:56 PM.