Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squat
    375x5x3
    Notes: I have lost the feel for depth and what I feel like is just below parallel is actually way below. So I was going too deep and slip sliding away down there. I fixed it some on my third set but still need to work on this. 375 is now light enough for me that I can still easily make the rep even with this inefficiency, but I need to be better if I want to squat 555 by mid-2014 (current goal, health willing).

Deadlift
    475x5
    Notes: very solid, good pulls. Did some power cleans as part of the warm-up as well.

Halting DL
    365x8
    Notes: I will probably need more pulling volume before too long so figured I may as well start acclimating now. Double OH grip (not hooked) for these.

C2 Erg
    30 / 1:40 x 6 @ paces:
    1:46, 1:40, 1:36, 1:26, 1:42, 1:37

Video of DL
    http://youtu.be/FLY4YXO9xUw

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Just curious, what wt do you PC when warming up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_la_Rosa View Post
    Just curious, what wt do you PC when warming up?
    It's not an exact protocol, but under better barbell circumstances, I'd do something like 135x3, 165x3, 185x2, 205x1, 225x1 and then start DLing at 275 or 315.
    Since I'm currently using barely spinning globo-bars, I did 135x3, 165x3, 195x1 and then started DLing at 275.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    It's not an exact protocol, but under better barbell circumstances, I'd do something like 135x3, 165x3, 185x2, 205x1, 225x1 and then start DLing at 275 or 315.
    Since I'm currently using barely spinning globo-bars, I did 135x3, 165x3, 195x1 and then started DLing at 275.
    I do something similar when I feel stuck in that 3rd gear you mentioned.
    I think the explosive nature disinhibits motor units for the later sets or something, it sure wakes me up!

Awesome deadlifts wolf!

Oh wow, I was not aware you had an injury. Glad you're doing better though, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooline View Post
    Awesome deadlifts wolf!
    Thanks, Kooline.

Quote Originally Posted by notetcetera View Post
    Oh wow, I was not aware you had an injury. Glad you're doing better though, homie.
    I seem to be quite snakebit. I get injured much, much more often than anyone I know who lifts, or anyone I coach.. Sometimes it's freak weird things, and sometimes it's nothing at all - what appears to be solid form on a rep, or even doing nothing and then something pops up.

I couldn't squat or pull for about 2 months, from late September to late November, and I've been slowly working my way back up. I squatted 385 for 5s today, and will pull 485x5 on Friday.

However, the week before last, my left trap started acting up and is still very painful. So much so that I skipped upper body altogether yesterday. If it's not better in a few days, I will try some aggressive ART or something.

Morning training today. Dislike.

Squat
    385x5x3
    Notes:
    Despite trying to stay tight and pull up higher, I am still burying these too deep and getting loose at the bottom. Having an SS coach yell at me during the sets would be very useful right now.

Power Clean
    135x2
    Notes: Stopped here. It was very slight, but aggravated left trap a little and I want to give it a good few days without anything bothering it to see if it heals.

RDLs off the floor
    225x1+8, 275x1+7, 315x1+4
    Notes: PC Substitute. Haven't really trained these in eons, and didn't want my hamstrings to get too sore, so went fairly easy. Double overhand everything. Did them off the floor, so 1+8 refers to 1 deadlift then 8 RDLs, etc...

C2 Erg
    30 / 90 x 6 @ Paces: 1:45, 1:41, 1:39, 1:36, 1:40, 1:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBJlh_yPyXA&edit=vd

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Thanks, Kooline.

I seem to be quite snakebit. I get injured much, much more often than anyone I know who lifts, or anyone I coach.. Sometimes it's freak weird things, and sometimes it's nothing at all - what appears to be solid form on a rep, or even doing nothing and then something pops up.

I couldn't squat or pull for about 2 months, from late September to late November, and I've been slowly working my way back up. I squatted 385 for 5s today, and will pull 485x5 on Friday.

However, the week before last, my left trap started acting up and is still very painful. So much so that I skipped upper body altogether yesterday. If it's not better in a few days, I will try some aggressive ART or something.
    Injuries suck man. I feel for you. I had two pretty good setbacks myself this year. least mine were form issues that i hopefully know better on now.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Injuries suck man. I feel for you. I had two pretty good setbacks myself this year. least mine were form issues that i hopefully know better on now.
    Thanks man. The last 13 months have been very difficult. During that entire time, I've not had a single time converge when I was making progress and PR-ing in all my lifts at the same time. I pushed my Press up from March through early June, and again from August or September till now. Pushed my squat up from March through mid June. Pushed my deadlift up March through early June and again mid August till mid September. Pushed my bench press up August till last week. But never all four at once, and nothing on my squat since June, due to a long deload and then injuries. Pretty frustrating, but considering the injuries don't appear to be from any form or basic recovery issues, there's not much I can do except plug away as best I can.

Not that I'll stop pushing when I get there, but my "I wouldn't be too upset if I did these as my lifetime bests" are 600 squat, 700 DL, 450 bench (paused), and 300 press. Even with the injuries, I should get there for all of them. I am determined to do so.