starting strength gym
Page 131 of 443 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele Knaub View Post
    i meant i thought you were implying you had to move out of your apt, but i wasn't sure if you were referring to where you live or where you train.
    Ah ok, now I gotcha. No I didn't have to move out. I just didn't have keys, so was stuck inside for two days straight. I had a key to my door, but not the lobby door, so I could wander about inside the building to my heart's content. Just not outside. If the weather was nicer, it wouldn't have been so bad to just go out and wait for someone else to come in or out to let me in. That happens often enough that I doubt I'd ever have to wait more than 10 minutes. But with the crappy weather, I didn't want to deal with that.

I seamlessed a lot over the past 2 days.

why do you suspect you get injured so often? i'm kind of concerned about that.

That was the root of my programming question. Is there something that might make it more likely to tweak stuff? Or are you just the Kerry Wood of powerlifting?

Hope you get it sorted.

2014 = Year of the Wolf. All will be better.

(Yes, I know the Chinese think it is the year of the horse.)

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    2014 = Year of the Wolf. All will be better.

(Yes, I know the Chinese think it is the year of the horse.)
    hahaha walter

I have always been more prone to injury than my peers, as far as I can remember. I was very active and played every sport available to me as a kid (in the limited world I grew up in), and would tend to get injured more often than most. Never anything devastating, but just subject to the regular sort of injuries that happen in sports, more often than usual. Especially more than my otherwise sturdy build would seem to suggest. I obviously don't have the genetics of an elite athlete, but do have a solid phenotype that expresses athleticism, strength, and power towards the right side of the bell curve. However I also seem to have a phenotype that doesn't quite stack up perfectly one bodypart on top of the other. My scoliosis, though not major, is an obvious case of this. Maybe there are other, more subtle things at play that aren't as easily detected.

I imagine it's just the continuation of this imperfectly stacked body, amplified by my pushing the boundaries by putting a heavy barbell on my back, or in my hands, on a very regular basis. The past year has been especially rough in this way, and I don't expect it to continue - sometimes you just get a confluence of this stuff all at once, or in succession, more than usual.

But I do expect I'll have more tweaks and dings than most, as long as I am doing this. I would have tweaks and dings no matter what I did, as my youth sports career suggests. Might as well be strong and get them in doing something I enjoy.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 01-06-2014 at 11:15 PM.

Light work today, giving myself some time to recover from the events of the past week, which continued last night when I got into my training space and found it had flooded while I was away. Water everywhere, half the ceiling tiles gone, water under the mats, some of the plates rusted etc... I was already moving out anyway due to the heat issue, but it was like just when things couldn't get worse, they did. Anyway, between the lack of training, stress, travel, and professional upheaval, I'm not training very hard this week.

Squat
    45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5
    Notes: Big plate ramping sets. All Easy.

Deadlift
    405x5
    Notes: Double overhand and beltless. Easy.

C2 Erg
    30 / 1:40 x 6 @ Paces: 2:11, 1:50, 1:46, 1:43, 1:40, 1:38
    Notes: All were pretty easy and was fully recovered by the next round in all cases. Realistically, for the first few, there wasn't really anything to recover from. Easing back into conditioning as well. Though I bet if you look at my log for the past 15 months or so, I've been "easing back into conditioning" that whole time, without ever really being well conditioned.

Light work today, giving myself some time to recover from the events of the past week, which continued last night when I got into my training space and found it had flooded while I was away. Water everywhere, half the ceiling tiles gone, water under the mats, some of the plates rusted etc... I was already moving out anyway due to the heat issue, but it was like just when things couldn't get worse, they did. Anyway, between the lack of training, stress, travel, and professional upheaval, I'm not training very hard this week.
    That is awful. You have had a rough couple of weeks my friend. I am sure you will bounce back strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Light work today, giving myself some time to recover from the events of the past week... Anyway, between the lack of training, stress, travel, and professional upheaval, I'm not training very hard this week.
    Smart. Way to show some intelligence unlike most of us lifters.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    That is awful. You have had a rough couple of weeks my friend. I am sure you will bounce back strong.
    Thanks man. I really have. The 5 weeks beginning in December 2013 through the first week of January 2014 was one of the roughest, most stressful stretches of my life. Hopefully that's behind me now. Thanks for the support.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Smart. Way to show some intelligence unlike most of us lifters.
    Every once in a long while, I'm smart enough to take my own advice. The trap feels better after yesterdays massage, but still not close to 100%. Will do a light UB workout tomorrow (time permitting, may have to miss it), ramp up a bit more in squats and pulls Friday, and another massage Saturday. Hopefully that'll get the trap in order to start training again soon. I think the one yesterday helped a lot.

On a completely unrelated note, one of my clients sent me this:

If I use better technique like that dude, maybe I will avoid injury in the future.