Page 146 of 443 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196246 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    LOL. Muscle confusion for sure.

Between the spitting and kicking I'm pretty sure there taunts and cat-calls while they passed you by too.
    Good thing they make so much noise; they won't notice that I'm sneaking up on them again.

Trained with Niki today at her gym, Black Box Fitness in Albuquerque, site of our Level 1 Seminar this weekend.

Squat
    450x5 - PR (technically)
    Notes: I actually felt awful going into today; all the travel this past week and especially yesterday really tightened up my back; I've also not been eating or sleeping on a normal schedule at all since Sunday. I was very stiff despite a bunch of rolling and some mobility work. Warm-ups felt off all the way up, and during the 450 set, I felt like someone else was doing it and I didn't have control over my own body. They got ugly at the end as I didn't maintain tightness and got forward, but I managed to stand back up despite the technique deviations.

I'm quite sure I could do more given a normal week without 4 plane flights and regular eating and schedule, but technically this is the most I've done for a set of 5; I'll take it.

Power Cleans
    A bunch of doubles and triples from 135 to 205; then 225x2x3.
    Notes: Niki noted I wasn't fully extending my hips here, so I worked on that. Sarah also noticed that the other week; I must be leaving a lot of weight off my cleans so I'll need to work on this.

C2 Erg Intervals
    30s Row / 90s Rest x 7
    First two warm-ups @ 1:52, 1:41, then 5 @ 1:37, 1:37, 1:36, 1:35, 1:20.6 (went all out on the last one). They told me before the last one that Albuquerque is at about 5,000 ft elevation. That explains some things about today.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Trained with Niki today at her gym, Black Box Fitness in Albuquerque, site of our Level 1 Seminar this weekend.
    Sweet.

Squat
    450x5 - PR (technically)
    They got ugly at the end as I didn't maintain tightness and got forward, but I managed to stand back up despite the technique deviations.
    Yea, it got funky, but i've done and seen a lot worse! You were moving FAST reps 1-3 so keep that in your mind. It wasn't too heavy at all.

..but technically this is the most I've done for a set of 5; I'll take it.
    That was a legit five so don't knock it. Don't you mean that's a PR for 5? A PR? On your squat? C'mon man, you are getting back and it may have been "unpretty" but all things considered, it's in the bag, move on and go up. Shit, celebrate a little!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    You were moving FAST reps 1-3 so keep that in your mind. It wasn't too heavy at all...

That was a legit five so don't knock it. Don't you mean that's a PR for 5? A PR? On your squat? C'mon man, you are getting back and it may have been "unpretty" but all things considered, it's in the bag, move on and go up. Shit, celebrate a little!
    Heh. Ya, it was a PR for 5. Ya, it really wasn't too heavy; I think we've talked about up days and down days and how there's some % flux (probably around 5, but give or take - you're probably getting very attuned to this now with your RPE programming) that you can do on a given day. This was definitely a day where I had the lower end of that stick, so being able to do 450x5 on a day like that does make me happy.

I'm not sticking with 5's on ID though. I'm going to move to triples very soon, possibly immediately, depending how I feel and what my training schedule looks like next week. I'm not sure yet if I'll do Mon/Fri, or possibly Weds/Sat.

Nice work, Wolf! Good to see you lifting big weights again. Year of the Wolf.

Squats looked really strong, Wolf. It's always fun to set a PR that doesn't look like a total ball buster.

Congrats on the 450x5, Wolf. Strong work.

Nice buddy, I think you still have some gas on the 5's

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    Nice work, Wolf! Good to see you lifting big weights again. Year of the Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosin Warrior View Post
    Squats looked really strong, Wolf. It's always fun to set a PR that doesn't look like a total ball buster.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Congrats on the 450x5, Wolf. Strong work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    Nice buddy, I think you still have some gas on the 5's
    Thanks all. It was definitely good to hit a PR set of 5 that had some room in the tank even on a day where I didn't have my mojo. I probably do have a bit more gas on the 5s, but I don't see a need to go crazy squeezing every last drop out of em. I tend to do much better at PR level weights in the squat on lower reps; I have a lot more trouble keeping my form in check for a balls-out set of 5 than a balls-out set of 2.

Default Sunday, 2/23

starting strength coach development program
    After finishing up the Level 1 Seminar last night, Niki and I "trained" (aka goofed around while occasionally doing some work).

(HODOR) Press
    220x3, 185x5x2, 155x8
    Notes: Worked up to a heavy triple, then back-off 5s and an 8. The 220x3 was an epic set of HODOR PRESSES, because we realized how awesome it would be to yell "HODOR!!!!!" after finishing a heavy work set. I had wanted to do this on Friday with the squats, but I forgot because squats are heavy and all that.

Considering I haven't been able to train the press heavy in 9 weeks, I'll take 220x3.

Weighted Chins
    BW +35 kettlebell x 5 x 3
    Notes: I had trouble using the belt because the chain was too short for someone with a waist of my sizable girth, so we had to jury rig it a bit. Got em done.

Barbell Rows aka Pendlay Rose aka Tobo/Campitelli/Feigenbaum/Rip Rows
    135x5, 185x5, 235x5, 285x5
    Notes: I really just wanted to call these "Pendlay Rose" to double troll everyone, but I wasn't sure if people (or myself, if I looked back on this in a few months) would know what I was talking about. Ah well.

I haven't done these in literally 4 years, so was a bit rusty. Niki pointed out that I was extending my knees a bit much and changing my back angle, so I tried to curtail that on the last set; I didn't do a very good job, but it was better than the previous. Below, for your entertainment:

I also got to watch Niki do her 8 minute chin-up thing. It was entertaining. She got like 117 of them or something.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 02-24-2014 at 11:56 AM.