starting strength gym
Page 153 of 443 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Strong work all around, Wolf. Congrats on the 545x5 pull.

excellent, just excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_la_Rosa View Post
    Woohoo! Squats were really fast.

That last pull looked a little harder, but as a set it's moving really well. Good job, Wolf. =)
    Thanks SLR! And thanks for your pre-lift text. So thoughtful of you to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Strong work all around, Wolf. Congrats on the 545x5 pull.
    Thanks JP. I was all "I'm so badass" till I saw your 500x8 a few hours later. I still have work to do!

ps No comment on the Chipotle?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    excellent, just excellent!
    Thanks RobIs. Wolf's disease? What's that?!?

Working my upper body lifts back to respectability, and minimal shoulder pain. Still present, but minimal, which I will take as a victory.

Press
    205x5x3, 165x10
    Notes:
    Better today than I've felt about my pressing in quite a while. Though I wasn't as explosive as I sometimes am on the first couple reps, there was less drop off towards the end of the set. And I think that's more important to driving up my 5s in the press. 210x5x3 is my best press for this set/rep range so we'll see if I can surpass that. I'm sure I could have done more when I was pressing 225x5, but I was doing 5x5 on volume then, so never tried it.
    Vid:

Bench Press
    300x5,5,8
    Notes:
    Felt solid today, for the first time in a long time. Though I still don't feel like I have all my pressing strength back and am just working back up, I do feel a lot better about these.

Weighted Chins
    BW+45 x 5,5,5
    Notes:
    Got my chin solidly over the bar all 5 reps this time. The chain on the belt is awfully short though; I worry every time about junk pinching.

TRX Rows
    BW x 12 x 3

DB Curlz
    55x8x2

Didn't feel great today. One of those days I've described before when it feels like you're out of body and someone else is controlling you and doing your squats. I got my volume squats done, but they were MUCH harder than last week (in terms of how they felt; bar speed was still good) and they drained me. I had nothing left for cleans or rowing intervals.

Squat
    415x5x5
    Notes
    : Other than what I wrote above: 5 mins rest till the last set, when I took 7. I was loosey goosey and slidey today. I had a hard time focusing and staying tight. My left hip was also bugging me some, which didn't help. Though certainly not rising anywhere near the level of injury, it was one of those annoying tweaky things that tweaks JUST at the worst possible moment (in this case, the bottom of the squat). If it bothered me the whole time, it'd be easier, but because its fine and then suddenly tweaks at the bottom, it throws everything off. Blah.

Power Cleans
    A bunch of triples and doubles and singles from 95-->185
    Notes: I could tell right away I was pretty beat, so started light and didn't push it. I actually got in some better reps as I went up to 185, but that's obviously still super light for cleans.

C2 Erg
    20 / 1:40 x 9
    @ Paces: 1:56.8, 1:36.1, 1:27.7, 1:24.7, 1:22.6, 1:22.6, 1:24.7, 1:25.4, 1:24.0
    Notes: I've lost my rowing mojo. There's a few possibilities here, in conjunction with my recent power clean lameness; most likely it's a combination of all of them:
    1. I've accumulated some fatigue, now that I've spent a month or so working with weights that are around or above previous bests.
    2. I'm more beat on an acute level since the weights I'm squatting are higher immediately prior to cleans and rowing.
    3. No LaRosa to coach, slap, yell (at) me. Or give me highly useful dead-legs immediately prior to heavy sets.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-18-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf;

[B
    C2 Erg
    [/B]20 / 1:40 x 9
    Notes: I've lost my rowing mojo. There's a few possibilities here, in conjunction with my recent power clean lameness; most likely it's a combination of all of them:
    1. I've accumulated some fatigue, now that I've spent a month or so working with weights that are around or above previous bests.
    2. I'm more beat on an acute level since the weights I'm squatting are higher immediately prior to cleans and rowing.
    3. No LaRosa to coach, slap, yell (at) me. Or give me highly useful dead-legs immediately prior to heavy sets.
    For what it's worth, I used four different C2 rowers last week, out on travel. Each one gave different readings from each other and my home gym. Obviously there is no way to tell exactly in a comparison sense but two of them read 50% higher than "normal". I take it your using pace/500meters? Anyway, people actually race these things so there must be a way to check them. Question: do you right down the values as you go or have a really good memory?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    For what it's worth, I used four different C2 rowers last week, out on travel. Each one gave different readings from each other and my home gym. Obviously there is no way to tell exactly in a comparison sense but two of them read 50% higher than "normal". I take it your using pace/500meters? Anyway, people actually race these things so there must be a way to check them. Question: do you right down the values as you go or have a really good memory?
    I've heard of this before as well, but have never looked into it and don't know how to check. I used the rower in the space where I was down to 1:18-1:19 the other week, though at a gym like mine, they might move them around all the time for no particular reason.

And yes, pace per 500m. I used to memorize and list the numbers without the decimal, which my memory is good enough to do. But just before she left, Sarah got me into taking a pic of the screen showing all the intervals and then transcribing them exactly. It's a way to be just a little more precise.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    FWIW, I think Jordan likes to use wattage as the metric for intervals. I used to use the pace as well, but I like wattage a bit better.
    That's an idea. I like pace because it's very relatable - I've rowed lots of 500s in my life and know what that's like and what different paces feel like, but I can see why watts would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    I kind of like the idea of power cleaning after squats, since I'm wearing my heeled shoes anyways. And in my current dieting state, I can't really handle extra squat volume above my 5x5.
    I used to be able to clean better after squatting. That was before I was squatting into the 400s for 5x5. The importance of continuing to drive up power cleans in a general strength program (with an eye on raw PL, without being specifically for that purpose) seems to diminish as the requirements to continue to drive up general strength get more demanding and fatiguing. Not that they're useless or shouldn't be done, but adding weight to the bar in a clean weekly or even bi-weekly is a lot harder after squatting 415x5x5 than after squatting 315x5x3.

I know my strength is contributing to my cleans, thanks to the easy 275 single I did a few weeks back, while on an irregular training schedule in the midst of a bunch of travel. But I did it fresh, on a hard floor. I don't get to express that contribution since I normally clean after squatting heavy, on a floor with a bit of squish. Under my circumstances, I think adding the clean pulls make sense. If I do go back go a weekly schedule, I may alternate cleans with clean pulls on Tuesday for volume, while pulling heavy on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post

C2 Erg
    20 / 1:40 x 9
    For the record, I'm still able to hold my rowing down despite my beastly gains on DL. (Harharhar.) Maybe we'll soon be rowing the same splits. Which is ridiculous because your thigh is the size of my waist.
    Get it together, man.

Or maybe start listening to Lady Gaga while you row. Could help.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post

Not that they're useless or shouldn't be done, but adding weight to the bar in a clean weekly or even bi-weekly is a lot harder after squatting 415x5x5 than after squatting 315x5x3.
    Oh, the burden of being really, really strong.

starting strength coach development program
    For the record, I'm still able to hold my rowing down despite my beastly gains on DL. (Harharhar.) Maybe we'll soon be rowing the same splits. Which is ridiculous because your thigh is the size of my waist.
    Get it together, man.
    Ugh, I know. I should be rowing 1:15s across. #weaksauce

Or maybe start listening to Lady Gaga while you row. Could help.
    No.

Oh, the burden of being really, really strong.
    You flatter. I'll accept. Anytime.