starting strength gym
Page 154 of 443 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204254 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Another solid day of upper body stuff, with my shoulder feeling no worse, and maybe a bit better, than Monday. Which was pretty good. Encouraging. I'm 99% on this July meet now.

Press
    210x5x3, 175x10
    Notes:
    This ties my PR for 3x5, from last May (I think). Though I'm sure I could have done more recently in November and December prior to shoulder issue. I don't think I could do 225x5 again yet, so it's not my strongest pressing status, but it does tie that PR. I jumped from 165 to 175 for the set of 10 because #YOLO (I'm ironic and funny, get it?), and it was much harder. But I got it.

Bench
    305x5, 310x5, 315x5
    Notes:
    Didn't want to grind out a set of 8 today, so just added 5# to each set and it was fine. I'm a bit tentative on the first set, but was more explosive and better on the next two. 315x5 felt hard, but I'm confident I can keep moving. I've been way stronger than this, so regaining should be fine with hard work. My shoulder might ultimately limit me, till it's 100% again, but I'm going to assume it's not and I will keep progressing linearly.

Speaking of which, I don't think I'll be able to do that much longer if I bench after pressing heavy EVERY time anymore, so I'm gonna switch my bench/press programming up to a variation of the volume.intensity split I was running before:

Monday - Bench "Intensity" and Press Volume: one heaviest set of 5 in the bench, followed by 1-2 back off sets of five at a lighter but not light weight. Then 5x5 in the press. i.e. the first week might be 320x5 bench, then 295x5, then 190x5x5 press.

Thursday - Press Intensity and Bench "Volume:" 1x5/3x2/2x3/1x5 Press and then bench 3x5 with all three sets being at the weight of Monday's top bench set.

Keep going till I can't do all 3x5 on Thursday, at Monday's top weight, anymore, and then go back to the normal Mon/Thurs split I was running.

Chins
    Notes: Biceps felt fatigued today. Had to rest extra and they were still hard.

Hammer Strength Plate Loaded Row
    180/side x 11,10

Finished with some Cable Stuff for Tris and Lateral Raises

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post

Had to rest extra and they were still hard.
    That's what she said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_la_Rosa View Post
    That's what she said.

Just a random programming aside.

Thinking about it the last week, along with my recent experience doing volume day with 3 full days rest after deadlifting (Friday to Tuesday), suggests that my 10 day H/L/M pulling idea, while theoretically good, wouldn't really work out while running squatting on a weekly Volume/Intensity schedule. The days where I'd be squatting a 5x5 (or even a 3x5) AND deadlifting heavy would be too much to recover from in time for intensity day a mere 2 full days of rest later.

I knew that would be an issue, but actually doing the volume days while still recovering from heavy pulling, even with an extra day of rest in between, has given me more perspective on just how big of an issue that would be.

So my thoughts are that either squatting would also need to move to a 10-11 day schedule, OR I could pull heavy every Friday, but manipulate the intensity so only every other week would yield that kind of intense stress.

I'm thinking I'll do the latter, since my squat can still move up every week, and since it's also somewhat behind my DL, relatively speaking.

My current thought is a PR set of 5 every other week (as long as I can, then move to a triple, double, etc...), and on the alternate weeks, 3-5 heavy singles but with room to spare. So something like today's heavy set of 5 at 555, then next week I'll pull singles
    at 565, 575, 585, 595. And then 560x5 the following week, and so on. With back-off sets of haltings or deficit pulls, as I've been doing, and thinking about adding snatch grip DL to that mix as well. And on Tuesdays, I'll power clean and move to clean-pulls when I feel that I'm either shit-showing the technique, or about to fail, on the cleans. Maybe I'll come to alternate the clean-pulls in some way to correspond with what the heavy pulling will be Friday (i.e. clean pull on weeks when I'll just be doing singles), but that's too much to speculate on just yet.

This also has the advantage of regular exposure to heavier weights than I can do for 5, without requiring a peak and then big de-load/recovery from that peak. So while I'll only be technically progressing the DL 5 lbs every two weeks, it should have a carry over effect to helping me be able to pull closer to my true max, when the time comes.

So this is my current thinking, after a couple volume squat workouts, 4 days post heavy DLing

All that said, I'm also thinking next week will be good for a de-load. I'm finishing up 5 weeks of pretty great progress in volume and intensity on the squat and DL, and think I have accumulated enough fatigued that requires a lighter week. Just based on how things have felt this week, that feels right.

So I'll plan to squat 485 for three doubles and pull 555x5 today, and then do everything lighter next week, before ramping back up again for another run at new PRs, including ACTUALLY FREAKIN' PR-ING MY SQUAT FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE JUNE.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-21-2014 at 09:53 AM.

A good day of hard work leading into the deload.

Squat
    485x2x3
    Notes:
    Not quite a PR but much faster than last time I was here. Felt good. Upon a (quick) look at the vid, maybe could've been a touch deeper on some of the reps, but I'm not gonna worry about it. I'm usually too deep, rather than the opposite.

Deadlift
    555x5
    Deficit DL (1")
    425x5x2
    Notes:
    555 felt fucking hard as balls. Way harder than any of the previous sets of 5 leading up to today. Video suggests they were faster than they felt, but goddamn they felt hard. Deficits were easier than usual. Go figure. (Not easy though) Anyway, very happy to have gone 35 lbs past my previous PR set of 5 deadlifts in this cycle. If you'd told me beforehand I'd get to 535x5, I'd have been happy. 555x5 is great for me right now. Very happy with it.

C2 Erg Intervals
    20s Row / 1:40 rest x 9
    Paces @ 1:56.2, 1:38.0, 1:26.2, 1:22.6, 1:21.3, 1:21.9, 1:21.9, 1:21.9, 1:23.3
    Notes: Much better today, though not quite recapturing my glory days of the other week. Looks like it's the 5x5 squats, more there anything else, that make rowing right afterwards less robust. I may switch to doing the 20/1:40s on Fridays, and the 30/90s (when I don't row all out speed anyway) on Tuesdays.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-21-2014 at 04:29 PM.

Congrats on the big numbers, Wolf! Nice to see you in PR territory again!

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Congrats on the big numbers, Wolf! Nice to see you in PR territory again!
    Thanks Dr. Petreezo. It's good to be there.

Deload week this week. Everything was tired, a bit sore, and a bit tweaky, so seems like it's the perfect time for a de-load. Though it's hard to tell how much of that is purely physical, and how much is mental, knowing I don't have to 'get up' for any heavy lifts today, or all week, so I let myself feel the stuff I usually don't. But some of it is definitely physical, and I'm confident I picked the right time to deload.

Press
    190x3x3
    Notes: Easy, but felt heavy-ish in my hands.

Bench Press
    275x3x3
    Notes: Experimented with a heels up set-up, mostly because my hips have been bugging me the last week or two. Not while benching, but in general, so I wanted to see if this was a little easier on them. It was, but I didn't feel like I had good leg drive. That said, considering it was my first time every trying it, it wasn't bad and didn't feel 'awkward.' May experiment with it some more.

Weighted Chins
    BW+45 x5x3
    Notes
    : Didn't de-load chins, since they aren't that stressful, but didn't add any weight either.

TRX Rows
    BW x 12 x 3
    Notes: I'm not really measuring, so objective increases aren't really possible here, but I think I set the handles a bit lower than last time. *Shrugs* Not all that important.

EZ Curl Bar Standing Tri OH Extensions
    Bar + 70 x 10
    Bar + 75 x 10

Rolled a lot before, during, and after this lift. Used my new Supernova A LOT today. Thanks to Sarah for introducing me to this. It's the kind of thing that's paradoxically worth it, even though it's overpriced.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-24-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Deload continues.

Squat
    365x3x3
    Notes: Felt really tired and beat up going into these. Left hip/glute still tweaking quite a bit as I approach the bottom, not good for maintaining tightness or an even drive up out of the hole. Still, overall I feel better on my Tuesday squats than I did 6-ish weeks when I last de-loaded.

Power Clean
    Plenty of triples and doubles from the empty bar up to 205.
    Notes: Wasn't totally off-point today like some Tuesdays in the past, especially when I've been really beat up from my training. No jumping-flailing-reverse-curls today. Just good old fashioned fatigue so I was a bit sluggish, but not a total shit-show.

C2 Erg Intervals
    30s Row / 90s Rest x 8 (1 warmup, 7 intervals)
    Paces for all 7 were between 1:35 - 1:40. Didn't push any of them hard, but didn't slack either. Felt better after the workout than before, which is good.

Damn impressive on the 555x5. Congrats.

starting strength coach development program
    Nice job on crushing deadlifts!