starting strength gym
Page 156 of 443 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166206256 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Yea, it doesn't seem to matter what the weight is, it always seems to feel heavier than it should. I look forward to the deload when I'm feeling beat up and run down, but I'm not a big fan of the deload. It's very existential.
    I definitely needed it, but it's also annoying when weights that are your warm-up weights - and that felt like easy, warm-up weight the week before, even though you were crushed - feel heavy. But it is what it is, and I've learned I need to take deloads even though I don't want to. Blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    It will clear up Wolf. The iron gods don't want to punish you; they just want to give you subtle reminders to listen to your body.
    I'm not convinced they don't want to punish me, but I hope you're right!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Also weight always equals weight. Its just how you approach it. So you are probably right that its the mindset of the deload that is playing tricks with you. I like how Chad just did his "deload" and PR'd all week. It keeps the STRONG mindset going.
    Yea, what the fuck was that? That kid is starting to piss me off with his non-stop progress and constant PR's. He's as bad as Rori.
    Chad. Dude. What the hell. He's put what, 200+ on his total in like 5 months? I envy these people who just push and push and PR and PR with no set-backs. As we all know here, once you get past the point where you're doing this for general health, and are on the quest for Beasthood and PRs and personal accomplishment, the chance of injury goes up. But it definitely seems like, just as some people have more natural aptitude for strength development, some people have more natural aptitude for not being injured. I know even the people who can do this still have tweaks and things that hurt and discomfort. But there's a big difference between that and things that literally stop you from training. I hate being stopped from training.

Also, if the glute is just a small tweak and not an actual injury, it's just that. You train through it and keep a close eye. No reason to cry "wolf-disease" prematurely. Hopefully a nice restful weekend and some manual work will have it ready for the heavy stuff when you are ready.
    Haha, you're right. Consider the current mood of New Yorkers right now about winter (we had some snow this morning, did you catch it?). Now multiply that by 4x, and that's how long I've been dealing with this constant-something-going-wrong nonsense. I'm just burnt out on it and very wary.

And it does feel better after some aggressive rolling and also a massage yesterday. I may be able to jump right back in to heavy volume work and more PRs. I'll find out for sure tomorrow.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-31-2014 at 07:58 AM.

Not the greatest resumption of upper body stuff today. Need to get my head back in the game. Also, after not bothering me at all Saturday or Sunday, my glute got tweaky again as soon as I started warming up in the gym. It was less bothersome than Friday, but still noticeable. Lacrosse ball helped. I am acting under the assumption that I will still be squatting a heavy ramping 5x5 tomorrow.

Press
    215x4 - failed 5th rep, 225x1
    Notes: The 4th moved fast, so no doubt I would have gotten the 5th. Except I didn't tighten and lock my wrists properly, and on the bounce, they unlocked and I had to get the bar under control. That effort, combined with a bit of apprehension about it, got me off my groove and I failed my second attempt at rep 5. Rested a couple minutes and did a single at 225, which was pretty fast and smooth.

I'm upset and frustrated about this, 215x5 is a press weight I first hit almost a year ago and should be piece of cake, but I know the circumstances were off. I should have ramped back up after a de-load week, and my shoulder is still not 100%. Still, it's frustrating.

Bench Press
    295x5, 305x5, 315x5, 295x5
    (first rep of this set paused)
    Notes: Though I made all my reps, this was also frustrating. I just feel weak on this movement, especially in my left arm and shoulder. Though the pain is mostly gone, it's obviously still affecting my pressing. I feel like it's throwing my position off as well, in terms of bar placement. Bleh.

Weighted Chins
    BW+50 x5x3
    Notes
    : Getting hard to make my reps.

Cable Rows
    200x10x3

KB Press
    70x5x2
    (just did these since I wanted more pressing work after feeling shitty about the missed rep at 215)

EZ Curl Bar OH Tricep Extensions
    Bar + 80 x 9, 13
    Notes: Wrists bothered me on the first set so I stopped early. Narrowed my grip and was much better on set 2.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-31-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Hey Wolf, have you tried the 3 inch belt for deadlifting?

Quote Originally Posted by quad View Post
    Hey Wolf, have you tried the 3 inch belt for deadlifting?
    I switched to a 3 inch belt for deadlifting in August of last year (2013). I didn't notice much difference the first time, but after that initial exposure, liked it better immediately. I've used it for every belted deadlift workout since, except for a couple times where I forget to throw it in my bag before heading to the gym. I assume your question is prompted by Rip's T-Nation article from yesterday?

Yeah it is. I also asked this in Rips section but what would you get for a guy with a short torso, 5' 11'', 180 lbs. I have 4.7 inches space between the last rib and the iliac crest in the front and 2.6 inches laterally. The choice is between a 2, 2.5 or 3 inches belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I'm just burnt out on it and very wary.
    Keep at it, Wolf. I've been following your rehab for a while - you're one of the best examples that lifting builds not only a strong body but a strong PERSON.

2.5mm neoprene shorts have really helped me with glute tweaks. The extra warmth seems to make everything more injury resistant. Might be worth seeing if they help you as well if they come in your size!

Yeah it is. I also asked this in Rips section but what would you get for a guy with a short torso, 5' 11'', 180 lbs. I have 4.7 inches space between the last rib and the iliac crest in the front and 2.6 inches laterally. The choice is between a 2, 2.5 or 3 inches belt.
    It's hard to say without trying them on. But it's hard to imagine that at 5'11" you have such a short torso that a 3" would be too wide for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Keep at it, Wolf. I've been following your rehab for a while - you're one of the best examples that lifting builds not only a strong body but a strong PERSON.

2.5mm neoprene shorts have really helped me with glute tweaks. The extra warmth seems to make everything more injury resistant. Might be worth seeing if they help you as well if they come in your size!
    Thanks, Will. Appreciate it. I've never fooled around with any type of shorts (see the underwear discussion on here maybe a year-ish ago between me, Jordan, Mac Ward, and maybe a couple others) - compression shorts, I assume?
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 04-01-2014 at 03:50 PM.

Though I didn't push anything too hard today, it was a much better day than yesterday. Glute tweakiness was present but minimal and didn't effect lifting at all. All weights felt light and easy - it's a reminder how much heavy 5x5 squats take out of me, and how they make doing cleans and hard rowing afterwards so difficult.

Squat
    365x5, 380x5, 395x5, 410x5, 420x5
    Notes:
    About 5 min rest between sets, weight felt light, reps felt easy (other than the 5th rep at 410 and 420 which felt mediumish). Attacked glute with a lacrosse ball, hard, before and between sets.

Power Clean & Clean Pulls
    PC - 45xdrills, 95x3, 125x3, 145x2, 165x2, 185x2, 205x2, 225x2
    CP+PC - 240x1+1
    CP -260x2, 280x2, 300x2x2
    Notes: In case that notation is confusing: I did power cleans up to 225x2; then one set of one clean pull followed immediately by one power clean at 240. Then four sets of clean pulls at 260, 280, and two at 300 - all for doubles.

Everything moved fast and was easy. Felt great not being crushed by prior squat volume.

C2 Erg Intervals
    30/90 x 8 - 2 warmups, 6 fast
    Paces @ approx: 1:56, 1:41, 1:35.5, 132.5, 1:32.0, 132.5, 1:32.5, 1:28.2
    (Forgot my camera so I'm not 100% sure about these, but I'm not too far off, if at all)
    Notes: These were also much easier, and destroyed me much less, than after 5 heavy sets across in the squat. An hour or two later now, I don't feel beat up or like I just want to lie down for the rest of the day. Oh volume work, how I hate and love thee.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 04-01-2014 at 03:50 PM.

I see, thanks Wolf gonna try the 3''

starting strength coach development program
    I'm 5'11" weigh 175ish and maybe have 2" laterally. I wear the 3" and it fits great.