starting strength gym
Page 159 of 443 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169209259 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Lotta funkiness going on today. First, my trap and shoulder were bugging me more than they have in at least a month - and that was all day, before even lifting. Second, there were two strange things at the gym today. First was a dude bigger than me. At Chi-Chi Equinox, this is astoundingly rare; especially when someone is bigger in a non-fake-inflated-bodybuilder-muscles kinda of way. I'd guess he was 6'4" probably 275-285 but definitely leaner than I am. Broader shoulders. He was using 7 plates on the t-bar row and 3 plates on the bench when I walked in. After watching him a bit, I could see he didn't really 'train,' as we define it, but he wasn't loud and obnoxious in his bro-ness as most guys who look like him are, in my experience. He was doing 1/2 ROM with tons of momentum on the t-bar, and strapped in for his bench press, but despite that, he was clearly strong. He ended up doing 405 for a triple in the bench (all reps using only the middle ROM), and a whole bunch of assistancey stuff after that, but just seeing a guy who looked like that was cool. If he had more information and/or wanted to train correctly, I have no doubt he'd be much, much stronger than I am.

Second, there was a guy who looked almost exactly like Jordan. Except taller, way less gainzzzz, and with a full head of hair. Weird.

Anyway, training. My shoulder bugged me quite a bit. I also used wrist wraps for the first time; I threw a pair in with a recent order from Rogue, since my wrists were unlocking in my heavy press sets sometimes. They're not particularly stiff, but they're fine for what I need them for right now. I didn't try them on bench, but used them for the last warm-up and all work sets of the press today.

Bench Press
    335x5, 355x2
    Notes:
    A lot of left shoulder/side weakness and some discomfort; again only showing up for work-sets. Warm-ups were fine, and I did some paused reps throughout the warm-up, which felt good. Disappointed, but right now my 5RM is probably not much more than I can do for 5x5 across because of the left shoulder issue. Dr. P will be taking a look at it this weekend.

Here's a Double Meat shot of the 335x5. I used this angle because I thought it would show me a big difference between the two sides, but it's pretty even. I can just feel the weakness oozing out of the left side during the last two reps.

Press
    190x5, 195x5, 197.5x5, 195x5, 190x5
    Notes:
    Shoulder bothered me some here, but it was more a feeling of general discomfort than a specific distracting pain. This is a 4.5 lb jump from last week, in terms of average weight per rep over the 5x5, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised they were significantly harder. The 5th rep at 197.5 was definitely slow. But no real grinds. Wrist wraps felt awkward at first, and I was awkward with putting them on, but by the end I liked them quite a bit.

Chins
    Notes: Just added one rep to the first set

DB Bicep Curls
    55x8x2
    Notes: First set was definitely a PR in terms of doing these strict; rested two minutes and the second set was...less strict. Didn't do any rows, because I'm reducing UB Pulling volume the day before my heavy pulling days.

DB Lateral Raises
    30x13x2
    Notes: Less reps than last week, but kept my arms straighter.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 04-10-2014 at 03:35 PM.

I forgot to mention that I used the 5th hole in my belt today for, as far as I can remember, the first time since November, 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I forgot to mention that I used the 5th hole in my belt today for, as far as I can remember, the first time since November, 2012.
    I guess someone is not eating enough Chipotle...

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    I guess someone is not eating enough Chipotle...
    My power belly gainz are rapidly disappearing before mine very eyes. I have gone from putting 75% of my income towards to Chipotle to probably a mere 15%. It's quite disappointing, but these are the sacrifices we must make for greater purposes.

My power belly gainz are rapidly disappearing before mine very eyes. I have gone from putting 75% of my income towards to Chipotle to probably a mere 15%. It's quite disappointing, but these are the sacrifices we must make for greater purposes.
    Beach bodyyyyy.

I bet your porcelain reflects the sun...

Second, there was a guy who looked almost exactly like Jordan. Except taller, way less gainzzzz, and with a full head of hair. Weird.
    Hahaha.
    Also - I can imagine the staring you did at the big dude.

Here's a Double Meat shot of the 335x5. I used this angle because I thought it would show me a big difference between the two sides, but it's pretty even. I can just feel the weakness oozing out of the left side during the last two reps.

And yet it looks like your R side lagged on the last rep. Weird??

Of note: you said, 'That was hard' at the end of your video. So...
    TWSS

Chins
    Notes: Just added one rep to the first set
    I'm gonna catch you on chins! (Maniacal laughter)

Really happy with how today went. I wasn't feeling all that great today, and my hamstrings also felt like they were still somewhat fatigued so I was concerned about them not cooperating for the DL again. But I got all my planned reps and though some were slow, felt pretty strong in general.

Squat
    465x3, 480x3 - PR
    Notes:
    Weight felt heavy on my back today and I wasn't the tightest I've ever been, got a little forward on some reps. But no doubt about any of them.

Deadlift
    560x5 - PR
    Halting DL
    435x5 - DOH & beltless
    Notes:
    The 560 set started really fast but got much slower by the end. But I was very happy not to have the hamstring deadness from rep 1, like I did the past couple weeks. Faster and better overall than 555x5 went. Also kept my hook for the whole thing, which was a big victory.
    For the Haltings, it was the first time I got 435x5 DOH and beltless, which was good, but I could just start to feel the left glute tweak come back into play, so I called it after one set and went on to rowing. It's getting better all the time but not 100% healed yet so I'm being nice to it. I'm pretty sure I did it pulling either the 555x5 or one of the back-off sets that week.

Alright Petrizzo, I await your Friday night pulling to eclipse mine yet again.

C2 Erg Intervals
    20s Row / 1:40 Rest x 9
    Paces: 1:51.2, 1:34.3, 1:26.9, 1:24.0, 1:23.3, 1:21.9, 1:21.9, 1:24.7, 1:22.6
    Notes: Lack of super speed here today was mental, more than physical. I actually, and pleasantly, wasn't all that beat up after the lifting and has some gas left in my tank. But mentally I was done. Getting myself up for a PR triple in the squat and then a PR 5 in the deadlift sucked my fortitude. I couldn't catch the extra gear here, so these were kinda lame.

Your form on those DL's inspires me. Seriously, I watched them several times. I aspire to get in as good of a start position as you do at the beginning of the pull. Great work. Glad to see you posting a workout without bitching about this or that..

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    Your form on those DL's inspires me. Seriously, I watched them several times. I aspire to get in as good of a start position as you do at the beginning of the pull. Great work. Glad to see you posting a workout without bitching about this or that..
    HA! Walter you old scoundrel! You owe me a drink next time I see you, for your jibe!

starting strength coach development program
    Nice squatting AND deadlifting, Wolf! Like Walter, I think your technique on the deadlift is spectacular.