starting strength gym
Page 161 of 443 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211261 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    Perhaps Game Of Thrones, episode 2 season 4 was too upsetting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Simczyk View Post
    No spoilers!
    Ssshhhhhh!!! No one mention to Clay what happens to Ned Stark! Ok, guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Ssshhhhhh!!! No one mention to Clay what happens to Ned Stark! Ok, guys?
    Let's just say Winter Came early.

Quote Originally Posted by rumblefish View Post
    Let's just say Winter Came early.
    Ha! But all debts must eventually get paid...

Some fortuitous travel by two clients of mine allowed today's training to happen. In addition to my regularly planned meals, I ate an extra double meat bowl at Chipotle and a pint of Ben & Jerry's half baked froyo (I know, I know...) last night. I still almost overslept for my 8am client this morning, and felt like crap. Because my usual Tuesday lunch client was away, I had time to nap from 10-11am, make lunch and eat it, nap again from 12:30-1:30, and wake up feeling much better. Not 100% but able to get to the gym feeling like I could do volume day. And because another client is traveling, I didn't start my evening set till 7pm instead of 6, leaving me time to do conditioning without hurrying it all up.

And that's how my first squat volume PR in 10.5 months happened today. I'll take it.

Squat
    425x5x5 - PR for 5x5
    Notes:
    Pretty solid for the most part, and rest wasn't excessive: went from 5 to 7 minutes over the sets. Felt pretty tired after the last set, but not totally beat down. I know I could have done this for a bit already, but I was very careful not to kill it with volume this time around, but the delayed gratification of a new volume PR (420x5x5 was late May, 2013) is still pretty nice.

I don't usually post my volume work anymore, just film it for myself, but since this is a PR after 10.5 months, here it is...

Power Clean
    45x6, 95x3, 125x2, 155x2, 175x2, 195x2, 215x2, 235x1, 250x1
    Clean Pull
    295x2, 325x2, 345x2x2
    Notes: Started cleans 10-12 minutes after squats and I was still tired. Oh well. Got 250, which is I think more than I've ever gotten at Equinox, and it was pretty fast and smooth. Clean pulls popped well today, I'll probably go to 365 next time.

C2 Erg Intervals
    30s Row / 90s Rest x 9
    Paces: 1:52.6, 1:42.0, 1:36.1, 1:34.9, 1:34.3, 1:34.3, 1:32.0, 1:32.0, 1:27.7
    Notes: I sandbagged the first 3-4 strokes of these, till #7, so my overall pace is lower even though my main rowing was reasonably fast. I was just beat.

my first squat volume PR in 10.5 months happened today
    Great news. You've definitely earned it!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Great news. You've definitely earned it!
    Thanks Will. What's your volume at now 440x5x5?

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    Where is your shoulder bothering you? I can still press pain free and dips don't seem to bother it but any horizontal pressing is still bugging mIleft shoulder. I'm starting to get frustrated with it, might try external rotations if your problem is similar.
    It's rather diffuse and difficult to pin-point, but is mostly on the front side with occasional rear discomfort as well. It doesn't hurt day to day anymore, but grinding and crunching still happen all the time doing ADLs. The combination of shrugging and shoulder extension seems to be the worst, so dips are definitely out.

Thanks Will. What's your volume at now 440x5x5?
    455x5x5 PR. 460x5x5 next week hopefully. Currently 220lb, aiming at 500x5x5, 580x1x5, and 600x1 at <230lb.

I'll need a lot of work on my deadlift to get me there, though. My back is still weak from a tweak 4 months ago (haltings are only 430x8, and rack pulls are only 495x5), and squats over 500 really find it out, so your deadlift videos are inspirational.

455x5x5 PR. 460x5x5 next week hopefully. Currently 220lb, aiming at 500x5x5, 580x1x5, and 600x1 at <230lb.
    Goddamn, that's beastly at 220. I'm at about 260 right now. Very impressive. How do you manage/manipulate your volume day increases?

I'll need a lot of work on my deadlift to get me there, though. My back is still weak from a tweak 4 months ago (haltings are only 430x8, and rack pulls are only 495x5), and squats over 500 really find it out, so your deadlift videos are inspirational.
    How did you tweak it? As I guess you know if you read my log, I've had (maybe more than) my fair share of back tweaks. I've learned that 1) They will heal, even if they seem awful at the time and make you feel as if you'll never lift heavy again but 2) You have to give them time to do so. What was your pull at before the tweak?

Goddamn, that's beastly at 220. I'm at about 260 right now. Very impressive.
    Thanks, but have you seen what Jordan is squatting lately?

How do you manage/manipulate your volume day increases?
    Still using 5lb jumps per week. I'll probably take Andy's advice soon and switch to 2lb VD and 5lb ID increase for a while until ID gets hard. But when I walk into the gym and look at 2lb, I can't bring myself to do it.

How did you tweak it? ... What was your pull at before the tweak?
    I got loose at the bottom of a 400lb squat warmup, and I think it tweaked a ligament. I was doing 531 at the time, so the sets were ramped, but my 5RM would've been about 500x5.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, but have you seen what Jordan is squatting lately?
    I have. It's just insulting those of us without superhuman DNA. It's hard to believe that a mere 10 months ago, when I posted this vid, that I was ahead of him in every lift.

He's had an incredible 10 month run, gained ~15lbs and made the most of it. I've been mostly injured. Alas.

Still using 5lb jumps per week. I'll probably take Andy's advice soon and switch to 2lb VD and 5lb ID increase for a while until ID gets hard. But when I walk into the gym and look at 2lb, I can't bring myself to do it.
    I know what you mean. I've used 2-3lb jumps to get my press up for over a year now, but it still is hard to swallow (that's what she said). Looks like that's your own set-up (based on the 5x5 press vid you just posted), so I assume you can at least use the same weights every time, so the 2lb jumps are actually 2lbs?

I got loose at the bottom of a 400lb squat warmup, and I think it tweaked a ligament. I was doing 531 at the time, so the sets were ramped, but my 5RM would've been about 500x5.
    Ah man, I think that's how my latest tweak happened, in September (got loose at the bottom of one of the reps in my last set of 410x5x5). Sounds like you're not too far away from being back where you were, though.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 04-17-2014 at 07:08 PM. Reason: clarification