starting strength gym
Page 162 of 443 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172212262 ... LastLast
Results 1,611 to 1,620 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Felt very tweaky today all over: both glutes, right elbow, and right lower back. None of them particularly bad, just enough to annoy. Left shoulder was also a bit more noticable than usual in it's weakness. Overall felt a lot better than Monday, though, in terms of fatigue.

Bench Press
    340x5, 365x2
    Notes:
    While technically only 10 lbs less than the most I've actually done for a set of 5, I'm so much weaker. This felt almost like a 5RM, whereas when I was doing 345 and 350x5, I had a bunch more in the tank. I didn't rest long enough for the 365x2, and it was a 2RM at that point. Butt may have come up to get 2nd rep.

Press
    196.5x5x5
    Notes
    : First two sets were really hard. Got my head in the game, focused better, and the last three sets were much improved. After this past de-load week, I switched up which days I do press and bench volume vs intensity. I guess we'll see if quad cramping from volume pressing on Thursdays makes Friday's squats and pulls more difficult vs low back fatigue from volume benching on Thursdays.

Chins
    Notes: Left shoulder bugged me during the first set, but only getting 12 after getting 13 last week motivated me, so I got 13 the next two sets, continuing my streak of adding at least 1 chin per week. Rested more than usual here, though.

Cable Row
    220x8, 210x10
    Notes: Felt much harder than usual/expected.

KB Clean and Press Ladder
    24kg x 4,3,2,1 x 2 sets
    Notes: Since I have been disallowed from lateral raises, did these. Basically it's 1 clean + 4 presses, 1 clean + 3 presses, etc... for two sets. They were pretty easy, even after all the other work.

DB Curls
    55x9, 50x8

Cable External Rotations
    7.5x15,13,13

Stuff I saw at the gym today:
    1. Douchebag takes up a rack (the one that happens to be my preferred rack) for ~30-40 minutes to do some bullshit routine involving bodyweight, a ViPR, a reebok core board, and one actual thing with the barbell in the rack. Loaded with 65 lbs. Luckily I had to bench first anyway, but I would have been pissed if I couldn't get the rack because of him. Even coming to the gym at 2pm is no guarantee of getting what you want, which annoys me greatly.

2. Middle aged woman brings a pair 2.5 lb dumbbells halfway across the gym, to sit specifically on one of only two flat upright support benches in the whole place and do wrist curls. She leaves them on the bench when she's done.

3. Guy loads 315 on the bar on the bench, does a few reps. Puts on 10 more for 325, does a double, fails the 3rd rep - didn't ask for a spot, but luckily I was nearby, saw him, and bailed him out. He was wearing gloves and had the collars on both sides, so he'd have been screwed had I not seen him. How do you get that strong on the bench and not know basic bench press safety?

4. Guy comes it and starts squatting, does 135 and is actually below parallel so I notice. He's in my preferred rack (I'm already done w rack work for the day so no big deal), which is the one (out of 3) that's not in front of a mirror. But he has turned around so he has to back the weight back in after his sets, so he can squat while looking at a mirror, which is about 50 ft away across the width of the entire gym. By this time he's half squatting 185.

5. Another guy comes in and starts squatting in the same rack. He is not as creative as previous guy. He doesn't like that there's no mirror, so when one of the mirrored racks opens up, he hauls ass over to it and moves there. Leaves his 225 on the bar, no attempt to put it away. Loads up 315 on the new bar and does 1/4 squats.

Fun times at the globo!

Makes me glad to have a basement to lift in. Sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Simczyk View Post
    Makes me glad to have a basement to lift in. Sheesh!
    Makes me wish I had a basement to lift in.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Looks like that's your own set-up (based on the 5x5 press vid you just posted), so I assume you can at least use the same weights every time, so the 2lb jumps are actually 2lbs?
    Yeah, one of Rip's welded racks and a Texas Power Bar. Priceless because it means I don't have to put up with any of the bullshit you just listed. The wrist curls made me laugh.

Someone should write an article about why mirrors are useless… It's amazing how many people are addicted to them. Folks really think they are helpful. For squatting.

4. Guy comes it and starts squatting, does 135 and is actually below parallel so I notice. He's in my preferred rack (I'm already done w rack work for the day so no big deal), which is the one (out of 3) that's not in front of a mirror. But he has turned around so he has to back the weight back in after his sets, so he can squat while looking at a mirror, which is about 50 ft away across the width of the entire gym. By this time he's half squatting 185.
    Fun times at the globo!
    Did he lift his shirt to view his abs at the end of the set?

At my gym at work, there are some machines across from the rack, which is unfortunately in front of a mirror. Which means the bros get to watch themselves ON THE MACHINES in the mirror. There is nothing finer than "accidentally" stepping in front of them & doing some heavy squats, facing away from the mirror. Could you imagine the horror? You're admiring your gains & all of a sudden some fat dude decides at that moment to interrupt the mirror love with a red face (especially after that same asshat hogged all the plates...).

I hope all is well. Your strength & lifts look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Thanks, but have you seen what Jordan is squatting lately?
    I have. It's just insulting those of us without superhuman DNA. It's hard to believe that a mere 10 months ago, when I posted this vid, that I was ahead of him in every lift.

He's had an incredible 10 month run, gained ~15lbs and made the most of it. I've been mostly injured. Alas.
    My ears were burning. Out of curiosity, how many hours per week do you guys train on average?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Yeah, one of Rip's welded racks and a Texas Power Bar. Priceless because it means I don't have to put up with any of the bullshit you just listed. The wrist curls made me laugh.
    That's a nice set up. 2.5 lb wrist curls are legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Someone should write an article about why mirrors are useless… It's amazing how many people are addicted to them. Folks really think they are helpful. For squatting.
    Think there's enough there for a whole article? Maybe. It would probably be a softer article, a little bit of content and a lot of satire and/or gently or not so gently poking fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Did he lift his shirt to view his abs at the end of the set?
    I didn't catch him lifting his shirt, but that certainly doesn't mean it didn't happen! There's an older (70ish?) guy who comes there every so often, does combination tricep rope pushdowns and standing ab crunches with the rope, in his wing-tips and dress socks pulled up all the way. Checks his abs between sets. I don't see him often but it's pretty sweet.

At my gym at work, there are some machines across from the rack, which is unfortunately in front of a mirror. Which means the bros get to watch themselves ON THE MACHINES in the mirror. There is nothing finer than "accidentally" stepping in front of them & doing some heavy squats, facing away from the mirror. Could you imagine the horror? You're admiring your gains & all of a sudden some fat dude decides at that moment to interrupt the mirror love with a red face (especially after that same asshat hogged all the plates...).
    You're a horrible, horrible man. Bless you.

I hope all is well. Your strength & lifts look great.
    Thanks Ian!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    My ears were burning. Out of curiosity, how many hours per week do you guys train on average?
    Dude! I used to check your log almost every day. Now I can only look a couple times a week because it hurts my feelings too much.

Hard to quantify my training in hours, because of the extra time it takes me due to the set-up of the gym. i.e. sometimes waiting for equipment to open up, walking back and forth to get my locked up bar from the back room, unlock it (Got a proloc-blocker with a lock on it), locking it back up and walking it back again when I'm done, trainers coming up and talking to me or asking me Qs or asking me to watch their lifts, going back and forth from my locker to get my micro plates etc... But I estimate about 8 hours/week.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Since switching from 531 to a 4-day TM split after listening to you and Tom and the London seminar, probably 6 hours a week. Before then, maybe half that. But I read your log: you still outwork me!