Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yea I spend about 12-15 hrs a week training...easy. Life is difficult :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Yea I spend about 12-15 hrs a week training...easy. Life is difficult :-(
    12-15 hours is a lot. Props for making that kind of time for this.

I forgot that so many people in NYC have off for good Friday, so the gym was busy today. I saw even more ridiculous stuff than yesterday, too much to even write, and the racks were super busy. I was lucky to get one during a brief lull. Had to warm up my DLs in a different place than usual too, due to the crowds, but was able to move to my usual space after 225.

Feel like I might be coming down with something again, or fighting it. Throat felt raw and a bit scratchy all day; not too bad, but coupled with the way I felt earlier in the week, especially, makes me think I've been fending something off. Happy with how today went overall, even though I didn't feel 100%.

Squat
    485x3x2 - PR triples
    Notes:
    First set was solid. Got loose at the bottom and forward, especially reps 2-3, on the second set but was still able to fight through to stand back up.

I need to work on focusing on my spot. On the second set I got distracted worrying about the guy who was doing awful hang cleans in the rack next to me;whether he was gonna come and start doing them while I was mid-set. Though I'd only see it out of my peripheral vision, I need to work on developing a better tunnel vision so all I see is my focus point.

Deadlift
    545x1, 575x1, 605x1, 585x1
    Notes:
    Got a little slow and hard, but all felt better and easier than the singles I did two weeks ago, so feel pretty good about that. I'll plan to go for 565x5 next Friday.

C2 Erg Intervals
    20/1:40 x 9
    Paces: 1:53.2, 1:30.9, 1:22.6, 1:20.6, 1:22.6, 1:21.3, 1:21.3, 1:26.2, 1:24.0
    Notes: Throat bothered me here more than anything else today, and really distracted me on the 8th interval. It was like breathing was uncomfortable passing through my throat. Got it together a bit better for the last one, but definitely caused a slow-down. I feel a bit better now, an hour later, so hopefully this won't turn into anything. Especially anything that will affect training.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 04-18-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Hey buddy...not sure why, but I thought of you when I watched this : )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9_GMt1lG1w

Still feeling slightly under the weather. Not so much that I thought it better not to train, but definitely effecting me more than a little. Also only got 4.5 hr sleep last night, so didn't expect peak performance. Considering all that, pretty happy with how it turned out.

Press
    225x4x2
    Notes:
    Missed the 5th rep on set 1, which is what I planned (225x5). I missed it because I am under the weather. Despite how I felt, the 4th was strong and fast enough that a fifth was possible. But one of the side effects of this little bug is that I can't get as big a breath as usual. The 5th rep moved slow at the sticking point, really slow, but was still moving up when I absolutely ran out of breath. I had to exhale. I tried to push it as I let my breath out but I was deflated.

Pissed that I missed a rep for such a dumb reason, and 225x5 on a day when I was feeling far below 100% would have been a big victory. So I rested 5 minutes and did another set of 4. Took a lot out of me, but felt better after I got 4 again on the second set.

Bench Press
    315x5, 325x5x3, 315x5
    Notes:
    Mixed bag, but still more volume at heavier weight than last time, and easier overall (on average). Still frustrating at how slow and difficult these are, but at least things are moving little by little and slowly in the right direction.

Weighted Chins
    BW + 47.5 x 5 x 3
    Notes
    : Hard.

Lat Pulldown
    200x10
    Notes: Going to reduce chins by a set on Thursday, so added these in today.

Plate Load Hammer Strength Row
    180/side x 11 x 3

Tricep Rope stuff and cable external rotations

Press looks good. I know you're not feeling super hot, but those were solid and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Archenbronn View Post
    Press looks good. I know you're not feeling super hot, but those were solid and fast.
    Thanks, Coach Archenbronn!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Thanks, Coach Archenbronn!
    GODDAMMIT WOLF.
    Go to bed.

Almost didn't train today. Whatever I had yesterday got a bunch worse. I cancelled two sessions and slept nearly 5 hours this afternoon. Woke up feeling a lot better but still not close to normal. I really didn't know if training would prolong this bug or would be fine, so I erred on the side of not being a pussy and went to train at 8:30pm after my evening coaching. Hopefully it will prove the wiser choice.

Squat
    430x5x3
    Notes:
    Not my best squats ever, but much better than I expected going in. Usually when I'm sick, or even coming back from being sick, everything feels subjectively much heavier, even if it's moving fast. These didn't feel bad at all, just didn't have my usual reserves so got loose on some reps and reps 4-5 were harder because I ran out of gas early. Overall happy though.

I'm glad this is a 3-set week. 5x5 would have been a bitch.

Power Clean
    45x6, 95x3, 125x3, 155x2, 175x2, 195x2, 215x2, 235x2, 255x1
    Clean Pull
    305x2, 335x2, 365x2x2
    Notes:

Very pleasantly surprised here. However much my strength is affected by being sick, power is usually twice as affected. I expected to get 215x1 on the cleans and call it, maybe 315 on the clean pulls. However, I stayed with doubles as heavy as last week, and even added 5 to the top single. Then added 20 to the top 2 sets of clean pulls. Pleased, especially considering how shitty I felt. I did feel much better by the time I was done than when I started, however.

Skipped conditioning, don't want to mess with my luck too much re: recovering from this bug.

starting strength coach development program
    Love it when you include clean and high pull videos. Those look really good. Damn fine work being sick! Hope you get to feeling better soon : )