starting strength gym
Page 167 of 443 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217267 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Nice to see you hitting some upper body PRs despite your shoulder not being 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    How often are you doing the rotator cuff stuff? Just got prescribed the same thing, and I'm wondering how often to hit it.
    Not often enough. I'm doing some stretching and mobility type stuff for the shoulder 4 days per week, but the dedicated external rotation stuff only 2x/week, after my two upper body lifting days.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    Also, had someone have to duck around my bar to get plates when I was going for a PR triple yesterday. Of course, there was about 150# less on the bar for me, but yeah.
    Fuck people.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Nice to see you hitting some upper body PRs despite your shoulder not being 100%.
    Thanks John, the stuff we discussed seems to be working. I could have better adherence, but as I just wrote above to Silman, I'm getting most of the stuff in a solid 4x/week.

Good day today. It continues to amaze me how much fresher and better I feel once I get more than a full week after my max pulling days. I'll still take a de-load next week, but felt much, much fresher and better today.

Squat
    435x5x3
    Notes
    : This matches my PR for 3x5, and it was just about a max when I did it in February. Today I did it easily with 5 minutes rest.

Power Clean
    45x6, 95x2, 125x2, 155x2, 185x2, 205x2, 225x2, 245x2, 260x2 - PR
    Clean Pull
    315x2, 355x2, 385x2x2
    Notes: Felt so great to clean on not completely trashed legs. Obviously not fresh after 435x5x3 squats, but much fresher than after 5x5 squats. 260 is a PR for a double. I've tripled 245, but don't think I've ever doubled more than that. Clean pulls starting to feel like I'm actually getting some work at 385 now.

C2 Erg Intervals
    30s Row/90s Rest x 9 (2 warm-ups, 7 fast)
    Paces: 1:59.0, 1:43.2, 1:36.7, 1:36.1, 1:36.1, 1:34.9, 1:34.3, 1:33.7, 1:28.2
    Notes: The faster ones later were just me getting to cruising speed a bit quicker, my actual strokes during most of the interval were the same all across. Still slow and sluggish here, missing that week of conditioning set me back. But it's fine.

You're all talk, son!

Solid day today. The gym was quiet like it used to always be in the afternoons, and it's fun with Ryan back on board again. He's had to start way back since he hasn't lifted much since September due to his knee and pec, but he's excited to be back. I forgot to mention that on Tuesday I tweaked his squat form a bit, to get it right in line with the SS model. He was squatting close to the model, but stance and knees weren't quite where I'd have put them. I suggested the change, he did it, and he's had no pain at all since then. He actually cancelled the appointment he had set up with an orthopod because his knees feel so good for the first time in almost 9 months. Good shit.

Bench Press
    357.5x3x2
    Notes:
    Rep 3 of the 1st set got away from me a bit, I pulled a La Rosa and pressed it slightly away from me. Fixed it on the second set.

Press
    204x5x5
    Notes
    : These got pretty hard but I worked my way through them, Press 1.5 style. Nothing special to report. I need more Gillian-esque triceps.

Chins
    Notes: Really wanted 3x15 so bad, but I didn't quite get my chin over the bar on the last one. Damn. Still, I'm satisfied with my chins. At a bodyweight in the low 260s, I think these are decent chin numbers. No 4th set and no rows, since tomorrow is a heavy pulling day. The plan is 585x3, and a 4th if I have it.

Alt DB Curlz
    55x10-->35x5-->20x5
    Notes: I ran the rack. Yes, really; I just ran the fucking rack like we all did back in high school. Probably haven't done that since...2007? Did a set of 10 fairly strict with the 55s, ran to the 35s and did 5 more, then 5 more with the 20s. It was hilarious. I could barely move my arms to put the 20s away, and had a ridiculous pump.

Cable External Rotations
    7.5x15x3

A very satisfying end to the week; a week in which I PRd every single lift in the same week for the first time in...? It's been 18 months since I've been healthy enough to train every lift to full strength and make PRs at the same time. 18 months of frustration after frustration. Some of this week's PRs were volume, some Rep PRs for Intensity, no true 1RM PRs, but they're legit PRs all. I also am taking my first day off, Sunday, in three weeks. So I'm feeling goooooood.

Squat
    505x2x3 - PR
    Notes:
    This is my all time PR for any number of reps, and did three doubles with it today. YEAH BITCHES!
    Much better than last week's, probably due to the extra recovery from only 3x5 squats and no heavy pulls since two weeks ago. The last rep of the 6 felt hard but the rest felt very solid. Haven't watched video yet to corroborate, but that's what it felt like.

Deadlift
    585x4
    Halting DL
    445x5x2
    Notes:
    A 20 lb jump was ambitious but I felt confident. The plan was a triple, and four if I had it. I had it. I took it. I win. Grip was slipping a bit, so didn't hold the last one at lockout an extra bit as I usually do. That's odd, because I rack pulled 580x5 with no prob a year ago when my best DL was only 520x5; I think I had the bar in the wrong place in my hand. Not too worried about it.

Haltings were fine. Did them beltless; first set was with the hook, second set alternate grip.

C2 Erg Intervals
    20s Row/1:40 Rest x 9 (2 warm-up, 7 fast), then a single 250m Row
    Paces: 1:52.6, 1:36.1, 1:26.2, 1:24.0, 1:22.6, 1:21.9, 1:23.3, 1:24.0, 1:24.7. Then the 250m @ 1:37.2 pace.

You are killing it, Wolf! Let's keep things rolling through July!

Awesome. Simply awesome.

Strong!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    You are killing it, Wolf! Let's keep things rolling through July!
    Hell ya! I know it's a long shot, but in my mind, I'm gunning for that 1655. It'll take smooth training up till the meet and a perfect day, but I'm gunning for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    Awesome. Simply awesome.
    Thanks Walter.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Strong!
    Getting closer, one week at a time!

After consulting the calendar and working backwards from the meet, I decided to push one more week before doing de-load week. Then I'll have 6 hard training weeks leading up to the meet, and the week leading up to the meet which will obviously be very tapered. The heavyweights (220+) lift on Sunday, so I may change some things up to account for that extra day, but I may not. Haven't decided yet.

In either case, I should hit some more Squat, Press, and Bench PRs this week before the deload.