starting strength gym
Page 169 of 443 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219269 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Are you using the Power Cleans/Clean pulls etc then for volume to drive deadlifts? I ask as our programs are very similar, and I'm having trouble moving the deadlift even though I'm running deadlift volume on Tues and intensity on Friday. Well, I won't really know for sure how my deadlift moved until May 31st. I've added a couple reps to my PRs, but hard to say if that's really doing much.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    So today's Volume Day squats nearly killed me...I was totally wiped out.
    I had exactly this with 460x5x5 today. Do you ever find that getting psyched up only wipes you out more, whereas a machine-like focus on taking each set as it comes works better? I find that sometimes. Mike T, for example, seems to lift almost like a robot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    cool program… and great work here Wolf!
    Thanks RobIs! I'm glad it's been working so well, as some of it is my own experimentation. I also am now doing a de-load week once every 4-8 weeks, going by feel more than a pre-planned schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Are you using the Power Cleans/Clean pulls etc then for volume to drive deadlifts? I ask as our programs are very similar, and I'm having trouble moving the deadlift even though I'm running deadlift volume on Tues and intensity on Friday. Well, I won't really know for sure how my deadlift moved until May 31st. I've added a couple reps to my PRs, but hard to say if that's really doing much.
    Yes. Due to a combination of the sub-optimal conditions I clean in, plus doing cleans always after volume squatting, my clean was no longer heavy enough, IMO, to drive my DLs so I recently added the clean pulls. I did a couple sets at 375 or 385 last week, which should be enough to drive the DL at that speed. You could do speed work on the DLs, but I like working on something that I believe both gets that aspect done, involves a shrug because TRAPS, and also translates to the power clean, which is bad-ass and cool. If you're deadlifting in the mid-500s or more and you're not power cleaning at least 250+ but really probably more like 275+ or more for triples, a heaver option for pulling volume than power cleans is probably a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    I had exactly this with 460x5x5 today. Do you ever find that getting psyched up only wipes you out more, whereas a machine-like focus on taking each set as it comes works better? I find that sometimes. Mike T, for example, seems to lift almost like a robot.
    Not that I'm anywhere near Mike T's level in either lifting or prep/focus, but I'm usually much more like that: very focused, not at all psyched and hyper, just super aware of what's going on and intense but very calm. However, I needed another gear to get through that set, as it was crushing me. I don't usually get psyched up even at meets, but I think it was the correct decision yesterday. Usually, however, I am all about the calm but focused and intense style.

So today's Volume Day squats nearly killed me. In addition to the accumulated fatigue of the cycle, I'm also coming off Friday's PRs in both Deadlift and Squat, both of which definitely ramped things up a bunch for me. I got all the reps, but it was such a mental grind, more so than any day of training since I've been back from injury. After the squats, I had absolutely nothing left. I was totally wiped out.
    I can attest to this. You couldn't even text properly.

Squat
    435x5x5
    Notes
    : Hard from rep 1. Knew it was going to be tough. I've been getting away with going from 5-7 min rest periods over the five sets on volume day, but today went from 6 to 10. And was still bloody hard. Wish I had footage of my last set. I got psyched up, which I never do in training, and destroyed the first four. Then I completely ran out of gas and has to grind through the 25th and final rep of the workout sooooo slowly. Took 5 minutes after that before I could even unload the bar.
    I do too!! Damnit! Where is Jameela when you need her...

Killing it in here, Wolf! Thanks for sharing the program too.

Speaking of getting psyched, I just watched this, and it is BY FAR the best scene yet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsG9R7rFeq8

If only Drogo could be my training partner!

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    Killing it in here, Wolf! Thanks for sharing the program too.

Speaking of getting psyched, I just watched this, and it is BY FAR the best scene yet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsG9R7rFeq8

If only Drogo could be my training partner!
    Drogo is a pretty bad-ass motherfucker. One of the cool things about GoT/ASoIaF is that there are numerous characters who are BAMFs.

Drogo is a pretty bad-ass motherfucker. One of the cool things about GoT/ASoIaF is that there are numerous characters who are BAMFs.
    I just finished s1e09....I am so pissed now. No spoilers for newbies like me, but you'll know what I mean!

Feeling so beat down today, deload can't come soon enough at this point. I managed to get through everything today, but am a bit apprehensive about recovery for tomorrow's intensity squats. As always, we'll see what one more night's sleep can do and I'll give it everything I have.

Bench Press
    363x3x2 - 3# PR for triples
    Notes
    : Harder than I expected. Had trouble focusing for these. Taking a breath really kills my rhythm and groove here. If I somehow had the lung capacity to hold my breath much better than I currently can, I could have probably done 365x5 today.

Press
    206x5x5
    Notes
    : Just really freakin' hard. I didn't want to do anything else after I was done with these.

Chins
    Notes: That's 74 over six sets. Do I win, La Rosa?

Alt DB Curlzzz
    60x8 (PR), 55x8

My bis were stupidly pumped after all those chins and the two sets of curlz. I had a lot of trouble washing my neck and face in the shower, and shaving afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    I just finished s1e09....I am so pissed now. No spoilers for newbies like me, but you'll know what I mean!
    Haha, I certainly do! Were you just waiting and waiting, absolutely certain something was going to happen to save him/the day at the last second? And then it didn't, and you're like "WTF did I just watch?! Can they DO that?!?!?!?"

starting strength coach development program
    Haha, I certainly do! Were you just waiting and waiting, absolutely certain something was going to happen to save him/the day at the last second? And then it didn't, and you're like "WTF did I just watch?! Can they DO that?!?!?!?"
    yes, YES! Just shocked....ugh