starting strength gym
Page 174 of 443 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224274 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Archenbronn View Post
    Ryan is just jealous he can't keep up with our repartee.
    He clearly can't measure up to me.
    I think he's squatting bodyweight for triples now. He's getting there. Be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Archenbronn View Post
    I'm gone for ONE day. ONE DAY and you're replacing me with a terrible spotter in purple pants and gloves. Jeez.
    At least she's prettier than Ryan.
    Sam is definitely very pretty, but needs some more experience as a spotter. I think her gloves do match her purse, though.

Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    I will have to try your set up method on bench...
    I don't remember the exact evolution of how I came to this set-up, but it's been about a year in the making at this point. At the meet I did in December, 2012, I distinctly remember having trouble getting set up in a decent arch on their competition bench, which at the time I usually did after unracking the bar, by using the weight of the bar to help push me down into position. I realized at that point I needed a better set-up, but couldn't and didn't bench for about 6 months after that shoulder injury. So I've been playing with it the past year or so, making minor adjustments along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    This is my current PR shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    "Should I have helped?"

NO
    HA! I was wondering if anyone actually watched the vid and noticed this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    I wish we could all just bench together. Everyday.
    I agree with Steve on this one. Monday is obviously International Bench Day. But we could also Chisel the Chest on Wednesday, and Pump the Pecs on Friday. Who's in?

Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post
    This is my current PR shirt.
    Now that you mention it, I see you wore this for your 405x5 set up in the Coaches Q&A. Well done, sir. I salute you.

EDIT: My new Game of Thrones shirt
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 05-29-2014 at 03:20 PM.

I still felt weak-ish in my pressing movements today, but slightly less so than the first week back after the last two deloads. I'm not sure if the slightly increased volume and intensity of my deloaded pressing actually worked, or if it's more the strength gained during the cycles. I'll keep this deload pressing protocol going and see if I can learn from it after a few cycles.

Press
    220x5
    Notes
    : Fifth rep a bit hard and slow but not a grind. I was hoping this would be fast and easy, or at least faster and easier, but I suppose better than my first Press Intensity Day back from deload in the last cycle, on 3/31, when I missed the 5th rep @ 215.

Bench Press
    305x5, 310x5, 315x5, 320x5, 325x5
    Notes
    : All good, except the last rep of the last set (325x5) was quite hard and slow. All else fine.

Chins
    15,15,14+1
    Notes: Dammit I wanted 15 across so bad, but I couldn't quite get #15 on the 3rd set. I rested literally 5 seconds and then got one more. But damn.

Alt DB Bicep Curlz
    60x8

Cable External Rotations
    7.5+adder plate x 15 x 2
    Notes: I don't know what the adder plates weigh, I presume 2.5# since the increment between plates in 5#, but you really never know. In either case, I added weight to these today.

I watched the video with sound this time. That was pretty funny. She seems nice.
    That Hodor shirt is amazing.
    Glad to see you are making time for curls. I wish I could do that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    I watched the video with sound this time. That was pretty funny. She seems nice.
    That Hodor shirt is amazing.
    Glad to see you are making time for curls. I wish I could do that again.
    She's very nice. And could be strong, too, if she wanted to be. Just no experience spotting, but when it's a choice between bad and worse, I took bad.
    Curls are essential. I question your brogramming without them!

Really happy with today's session. I had to work harder than I normally want to for the first week in a cycle, but I think the aggressive push will pay off come meet-time.

Squat
    470x5 - PR
    Notes
    : Started off great. Last rep I got off center and a bit twisted; as soon as I corrected back to mid-foot and centered, things started moving up fast again. Happy with this 15 lb PR for a set of 5.

Deadlift
    575x5
    Halting DL
    455x5 (beltless, hook grip)
    Notes:
    Video looks like my lockout on the 5th rep of the DL was iffy, but I could've sworn on a stack of Lord of the Rings books that I locked it out. Maybe it's the angle combined with my shorts flipping up effect, or maybe I am just delusional and needed one more inch to lock it out. But dammit, I'm counting it!

I would have normally eased back in more since it's been three weeks since I pulled heavy, but given that I have only three more heavy DL workouts till the meet, including this one, I didn't want to 'waste' it on a ramp-up, so was aggressive. This was really hard, but good. It should prime me for a triple at 595 or 600 in two weeks. Held the hook for 4 reps too, which is good.

Vid of both lifts:

C2 Intervals
    20/1:40 x 9
    Paces: 1:43, 1:26.2, 1:21.9, 1:21.9, 1:21.3, 1:24.7, 1:25.4, 1:24.0, 1:24.0
    Notes: Anyone want to care to guess where I ran out of gas?

Very nice!

starting strength coach development program
    Great to see you on this extended run of good lifting!