starting strength gym
Page 177 of 443 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227277 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Gym had the AC blasting again today. Was hard to get and stay warm, but managed some small PRs today. Also had the opportunity to help a trainer there with her client. She had him squatting, a young kid of about 19 or 20, and I was in the vicinity rolling up my wrist wraps and asked if I saw anything I wanted to comment on. Ended up spending the next 20 or so minutes with them, in between my sets of plate loaded rows and external rotations, helping her identify his issues and fix them. We did some good work. The trainer is intelligent and personable, just has very limited exposure to good material and good coaching on the squat, so if she keeps thinking and asking questions, she has the potential to be good. I'm hopeful she won't see this as a one-time thing.

Bench Press
    365x3x2 - PR for triples
    Notes:
    I probably had four reps for both of these sets. Once again had a first time amateur spotter, but I was able to get her for two warm-up sets prior to the first work set, so we got in decent sync and I reiterated several times the need to not hang out over me or touch the bar unless I have either already failed or I call for help. It worked.

Also, I have started pausing during warm-up sets to get my pausing mojo back. This week and next, it'll probably be just informal untracked pausing during warm-ups to get the feel back.

First set vid is grainy, I guess the camera never adjusted. I also show some white-boy PR jump skillz:

Press
    207x5x5 - Volume PR for 5x5
    Notes:
    First set was so fast I thought it would be a breeze. No, Wolf; just no - you're still a crappy presser. Got pretty hard, lots of quad cramping, and slow bar speed on the last two sets. But got them all in.

Weighted Chins
    BW+52.5x5x3 - PR
    Notes
    : Better than they've been in a while.

Plate Loaded Hammer Strength Row
    195/side (4x45, 1x10, 1x5) x 10 x 3
    Notes: Added another 5lbs/side.

Cable External Rotations
    7.5+adder weight x 15 x 3

Shoulder capsule stretches
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-09-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Nice Press PR! Training BP int. & OP vol. / OP vol. & BP int. in the same workout doesn't seem to affect your volume work negatively. When I saw that TM set up in PPST3, I thought it'd be likely to burn me out quickly, but you've convinced me to try it.

How long do you rest between the end of the intensity work and start of the volume work?

Thanks Will. It's a 1lb PR, which I will always take on the press, and it wasn't quite as hard as when I did 206 a few weeks back.

When I decided on the 4 day split set-up with Press Intensity/Bench Volume one day and the opposite the other day, I was also a bit concerned about how the volume work on each would be effected since it's always done after the intensity work on the other. I wanted to try the set-up, however, because I have found that my press responds much better to higher frequency, and that even just one week off of some type of heavy pressing makes it difficult for me to progress that movement. Although I have been doing some PL meets and am now getting close to the point of being nationally competitive in my weight class in the USAPL, I still consider myself a general strength trainee rather than a "powerlifter." Unless and until someone plans on paying me lots of money to come in 2nd behind Mike Tuscherer for the rest of my life, I'll train the press and bench equally because I enjoy the press and do believe in it's importance.

tl;dr - it was important to me to have a program that trained the press intensely every week, but not at the expense of also progressing the bench press. This seemed like a good option, so I gave it a shot and it worked so well that I've stayed on it. I've been able to continue progress on it since last September, aside from the few months I had the trap/shoulder issue and couldn't train either press hard.

I find that between unloading the bar after intensity work, and then moving it from the bench press to the rack or vice versa, I don't need that much more rest before starting an empty bar set with the volume work. If the intensity work was a real grind, I'd rest more, but after unloading and moving the bar, another 2 minutes or so is more than sufficient. I don't rush between the warm-up sets though. Yesterday, for example, I did 45x5, 95x5, 145x3, 185x2, 207x5x5. I went from 45 to 95 quickly, but then took my time and took 2-3 minutes between the remaining warm-up sets as well. 4-5 minutes between work sets, though I'd take more if needed.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-10-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Yeah, a 1lb press PR can be as satisfying as a much larger squat or deadlift PR.

Thanks for the detailed reply - it's very helpful. I'm attracted to that split for the same reasons. The press is too important to neglect, even though it's not contested.

Now, let me see if I can beat you to pressing 225x5x5.

I am definitely a fan of this TM Split version. What are you currently running, Will?

Low back and hamstrings felt still fatigued today, not sure why. So I didn't feel like I had much pop, even though the weights didn't feel heavy on my back or in my hands.

Squat
    440x5x3
    Notes:
    Technically this is a PR for this set and rep scheme, though obviously less challenging than 435x5x5. They were harder and slower than I expected. Obviously they weren't grinders, but I expected easier.

Best part of the vid is the guy next to me using the bar in the rack to do pull ups during my second set:

Power Clean
    45x6, 95x3, 125x2, 155x2, 185x2, 210x2, 230x2, 250x1+1, 270x1+1 (last two I did a clean pull then a power clean)
    Clean Pull
    325x2, 365x2, 390x2
    Notes: I wasn't feeling very explosive or poppy today, but I still got the 270 even after the squats. I had to split a little, mostly due to the fact that I can barely get down at all without leaning over due to my absolutely horrendous ankle mobility (thank you a million ankle sprains chasing glory in high school basketball). But I still pulled it high and caught it.

C2 Erg Intervals
    30/90 x 8
    Paces: Accidentally deleted the pic of the screen, but they were OK today. Mostly 1:34-1:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I am definitely a fan of this TM Split version. What are you currently running, Will?
    Mon - BP/OP 5x5, Chins BW 3xMAX/Weighted Chin 3x5
    Tue - SQ 5x5
    Thu - Deadstop Rack BP 5x1/OP 5x1, CGBP 3x5, Curls 3x5
    Fri - SQ 5x1, Halting DL 1x8/Rack Pull 1x5

Having learnt from what you're doing, I'll switch to this split instead:

Mon - OP 5x1, BP 5x5, Weighted Chin 3x5, Standing EZ Bar Triceps Extension 3x10
    Tue - SQ 5x5, Prowler
    Thu - Deadstop Rack BP 5x1, OP 5x5, CGBP 3x5, Chin 3xMAX, Curls 3x5
    Fri - SQ 5x1, Power Clean 10x1, HDL 1x8/RP 1x5 & Shrugs 1x5, Prowler

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Mon - BP/OP 5x5, Chins BW 3xMAX/Weighted Chin 3x5
    Tue - SQ 5x5
    Thu - Deadstop Rack BP 5x1/OP 5x1, CGBP 3x5, Curls 3x5
    Fri - SQ 5x1, Halting DL 1x8/Rack Pull 1x5

Having learnt from what you're doing, I'll switch to this split instead:

Mon - OP 5x1, BP 5x5, Weighted Chin 3x5, Standing EZ Bar Triceps Extension 3x10
    Tue - SQ 5x5, Prowler
    Thu - Deadstop Rack BP 5x1, OP 5x5, CGBP 3x5, Chin 3xMAX, Curls 3x5
    Fri - SQ 5x1, Power Clean 10x1, HDL 1x8/RP 1x5 & Shrugs 1x5, Prowler
    Nice. I'll bet you're ready for a good long nap after Friday's work. That's a long session : )

Regarding your Tumblr post about all the best lifters pull without shoes, this story about motorcycle racers and their techniques is relevant.

http://motomatters.com/opinion/2009/..._leg_wave.html

For several decades, American dirt trackers all looked behind the same way: They would leave their left hand on the bar and tuck their head under their left armpit to check on who was back there. Over time, all sorts of theories were produced, most of them having to do with improved aerodynamics from keeping your head down. But people kept asking why they did it, and eventually a pattern developed:

Chris Carr: "I saw Scotty Parker ride that way"...

...Scott Parker: "I learned it from Springer"...

...then Springer [Jay Springsteen] admitted: "Mert Lawill showed me that"...

...at which point Mert admitted "I got that from Bart Markel"

..eventually Black Bart said he learned it from Carroll Resweber, who said he learned it from another Texas Racer, who -when they finally tracked him down - revealed The Secret:

"Hell, boy, I was blind in my left eye... that was the only way I could see behind me!"

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Also had the opportunity to help a trainer there with her client. She had him squatting, a young kid of about 19 or 20, and I was in the vicinity rolling up my wrist wraps and asked if I saw anything I wanted to comment on. Ended up spending the next 20 or so minutes with them, in between my sets of plate loaded rows and external rotations, helping her identify his issues and fix them. We did some good work. The trainer is intelligent and personable, just has very limited exposure to good material and good coaching on the squat, so if she keeps thinking and asking questions, she has the potential to be good. I'm hopeful she won't see this as a one-time thing.
    Wolf, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Wandering about the (globo gym) world doling out gems of wisdom; planting and nourishing the seeds of change.

I'm glad I can read this log again without worrying about spoilers.