starting strength gym
Page 187 of 443 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197237287 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    you will be good for the meet with a taper.
    Yeah, the accumulated fatigue will dissipate, and you'll be fine!

The meet is now 13 days away. Back issue appears to be a QL strain; can't tell for sure, but I think so. IIRC, this is what I did in late December, 2012, and June 2013 - maybe it's an every 6 month thing? This is a milder version, so hopefully it's good enough to go all out in two weeks. The past couple times, it only affected heavy pulls from the floor, so I don't think I'll have to change any of my planned squat training. And I have two weeks for it to get better, and to make it get better, so even though it's irritated and bothering me now, I'm hopeful my meet performance won't be significantly altered.

Decent day today. My left shoulder was a little crabby, and my generally very low grade lateral epicondylitis (which I never even mention because its discomfort I can generally work through without any negative effect on my training) flared up today, making the very bottom position of the bench difficult and uncomfortable. Got some decent work in, but it definitely effected my benching, especially.

Bench Press
    388.5x1, 399.5x1, 408x1 - touch-n-go
    348x1, 359x1, 370x1 - paused
    Notes
    : The tng reps were OK, but not spectacular. Elbow crankiness played a role. But as I went it got worse, so that really bugged me during the paused reps. It was quite uncomfortable down there, and I shortened the pause more than I should have for 359 and 370, so these weren't really comp grade pauses. I'll be at the end of a course of Vitamin I come meet time, plus a volume reduction starting today and really getting low next week, so this shouldn't be an issue on meet day. Still, I'm a bit disappointed with myself WRT not holding the pause a fraction of a second longer.

Press
    214.5x3x6
    Notes:
    The singles on the bench beat me up, so I was pleasantly surprised how well presses went. I nailed these solidly with shorter than usual rest.

Weighted Chins
    BW + 24kg x 4,4 - weak sauce, elbows twinging
    BW + 16kg x 7,6,6 - better
    Notes: Upper body was tired, and elbows cranky, so the 24kg reps weren't very good. Reduced weight and banged out a few decent sets.

Finished with some triceps stuff and external rotations.

An OK day, overall. I expected a bit better in the bench and chins, but presses went well.

That is good stuff.

Just catching up here bear-jew-bro.

I'm going to be annoying and put your last intensity day (squat and DL) in the context of peaking and fatigue. This is one of the reasons Jordan urged me to move to the block. I was going strong in the Spring of '13 and hitting PR's on the Texas Method and then I attempted that 405 squat again and missed it. I was pissed and confused. By trying for PR's at doubles or singles, you are essentially testing. It's pretty tough to do that without a taper. Which is why the block is cool because you build up all the fatigue, overreach and then peak and test. PR central.

I'm not suggesting that you stop Texas. I'm just putting a disappointing day in the context of peaking. At your level (adaptation/strength) it's going to be very difficult for you to hit maximal lifts near or above your 1RM at the drop of a hat. I pretty much have accepted that when I PR my 1RM, that doesn't mean I can hit that anytime I want during the next cycle. In fact I know I can't. I can hit it (or better) the next time I peak.

Anyway, the point of all of this is to put the emphasis on, and acknowledge the importance of peaking. Putting your squat/dead day on the 28th into the context of peaking (or lack thereof) may give you a little more confidence and sense that you were not ready for tip-top performance on that particular day.

As for your Wolf-disease, hopefully the sharp decrease in volume and then intensity will have you feeling ready to max out!

Rob : )

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Just catching up here bear-jew-bro...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Rob : )
    You're probably right, RobIs, it's just hard not to get ticked off when things go so far below expectations. Also, I have been managing squat volume much, more ore carefully than I ever have before. Deloading every 6-7 weeks, alternating 3x5 and 5x5 weeks, and actually, I didn't do an all-out 5x5 week this entire cycle. Last time I did a 5x5 across workout that was heavy was a classic TM special was May 13 when I did 435x5x5. I've done ramping 5x5s up to a top at 435 this cycle, and heavier weight for fewer sets of 5, but bottom line is that considering how much thought and effort I put into managing volume, and how well I still did at the end of previous cycles, I was VERY surprised for this to happen on Saturday. And there were really no indications leading up to it, if you ignore the issues I had with the bumper plates. Though maybe the stress accumulated by those workouts was more than I bargained for, the extra difficulty of those reps being a lot more than I figured, and I was experiencing a more acute, rather than chronic, fatigue accumulation from the last two weeks prior to my getting the iron plates. That's certainly possible.

Whatever the case, it's always harder to be objective about your own training and situation, so even though I had thought about all that, it's much better to hear it from someone else, when it comes to your own training. And you guys know that. So thanks for being that someone else for me.

Decent day today, but elbow tendinitis was really flaring up bad. I was very apprehensive going into today about my back and Saturday's squat problems, but I focused on just doing what I could today. I deviated a bit from my pre-Saturday plan, but I think accomplished what I needed to have the intended effect.

Squat
    427x3, 438x3, 449x3, 460x3, 471x3
    Notes:
    Plan was 460x3x6. Instead of 427 being my last warm-up, as originally planned, I did it as a first work-set, and just added 5kg to every subsequent set. I did the one set at 471, more than my 460 across planned weight, so between that and my Saturday performance, decided to cut today's pseudo volume work at 5 triples instead of 6.

Happy with how my back felt here, no real issues. The times I've strained my QL like this, it was always been more tolerant of squatting than pulling. I had some glute twinginess, but nothing awful at all. Elbows really taking a beating though, I must have irritated them badly whenever I did it. It's funny how I can squat for over a year with no elbow tendonitis issues, but once I flare it up once, it won't go away if I keep squatting. Voodoo bands, which I should have thought to use yesterday, helped a lot with this. I didn't use them till after I was done squatting though, because I was wearing elbow sleeves.

Deadlift
    133x5x2, 199x5x2, 243x5x2
    Notes: Just getting some volume in to help heal up the low back. Happy with how these felt: both lack of pain, irritation, and how easy they were when I focused properly.

I'll play Friday by ear, I may do regular deadlifts instead of my usual deficits.

Sled Push
    20kg x 1, 30kg x 8 - strict 1 minute rest

You made me feel all warm and mushy inside.

I should add that I've been super impressed with how you have auto-regulated your volume this year. I think that is by far the most difficult thing to do with the Texas Method. It seems that as soon as one can do 5x5 and get use to it, one runs themselves immediately into the ground.

Excellent news on the back. Bummer about the elbow. Stay positive and do the pre-hab work (which I'm sure you will!). 11 days man!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post

I should add that I've been super impressed with how you have auto-regulated your volume this year. I think that is by far the most difficult thing to do with the Texas Method. It seems that as soon as one can do 5x5 and get use to it, one runs themselves immediately into the ground.
    It has been an interesting learning experience, but it's not like I didn't make that same mistake. I ran myself into the ground hard on TM last year by doing 5x5 and adding 5 lbs every week. It was good at first, and got me to 420x5x5 and 500x2,2,1 but once I ran myself into the ground, it took me a while to admit it, and then another while to come back out of it, and when I finally did, boom, back injury. So it was a long journey but one I learned a lot from. The volume management this year has been based on planned work, but also auto-regulated as needed, though not in a precise repeatable way.

But because it was so carefully managed, Saturday's session took me by surprise.

Whatever the case, I'm feeling better about things as it's only 4 days since and I'm already feeling a lot better. Let's hope this weekend in Toronto doesn't fry me.