Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Press (Intensity)
    217x5
    Notes
    : Just as Monday's volume workout made me happy about how easy it was, today's intensity annoyed me with how easy it wasn't. It wasn't a grind, but I actually thought 217 would be easy enough that I'd take a 6th rep. Ummmmmm, no. Got somewhat hard and slow for the 5th rep, which annoyed me, as I mentioned. Kind of figured I'd blast right through it. I'll chalk it up to not actually pressing above 200 lbs in 3 weeks, and plan on 223x5 next Thursday.

Bench Press (Volume)
    296x5, 307x5, 318x5, 307x5, 296x5
    Notes: A bit harder than I expected here, too, but no problem. Bar speed was good, I just had to use more "umph!" than I thought I would.

BW Chins
    Notes: Didn't rest much, still easing back in here.

Cable Shoulder External Rotation
    7.5x12x3

Finished with shoulder capsule stretches. I plan to add rows back in next week, as I ramp up the weights on volume and intensity.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 07-24-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Man, you're looking pretty big in that press video (in a good way)... been subscribed for a few months, guess I just realized lol.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, you switched from the "stricter" old SS press to press 2.0 mid way through? Why not just press 2.0 all the way?
    Last edited by Levon_Xidyn; 07-25-2014 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Levon_Xidyn View Post
    So, correct me if I'm wrong, you switched from the "stricter" old SS press to press 2.0 mid way through? Why not just press 2.0 all the way?
    I've discussed this before multiple times on threads in the coaches' Q&A. Basically, after many years of pressing 1.0, the new style was very foreign and hard to adapt to. Many of the coaches still just do the press 1.0. I was determined to take advantage of the improved version, but found that, since I had gotten fairly strong (225 1RM strict press) in the absence of holding the bar for a moment between reps, that doing so for a set of 5 took more out of me than the boost I got from the usage of the hips. So I use Press 2.0 for the first and last rep, and then use the stretch reflex, touch-n-go style for the middle three reps.

And, as I've mentioned, I think it would probably be better in the long run if I just took the weight down and forced myself to re-adapt completely to press 2.0 for all five reps. But, in part because of impatience, and in part because powerlifting doesn't contest the press, I haven't done so. Still managed to add 35 more lbs to my press, with a 260 single right before the meet a few weeks back.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I've discussed this before multiple times on threads in the coaches' Q&A. Basically, after many years of pressing 1.0, the new style was very foreign and hard to adapt to. Many of the coaches still just do the press 1.0. I was determined to take advantage of the improved version, but found that, since I had gotten fairly strong (225 1RM strict press) in the absence of holding the bar for a moment between reps, that doing so for a set of 5 took more out of me than the boost I got from the usage of the hips. So I use Press 2.0 for the first and last rep, and then use the stretch reflex, touch-n-go style for the middle three reps.
    As a contrast, I've used the press 2.0 since I started lifting. I rarely do sets of more than 5, but there was a time when I was experimenting with 3x8 volume sets on the presses. It was difficult to use the 2.0 style for 8 reps, even at a reduced weight. The sets became too long and I found myself fatiguing towards the end, so I tried the 1.0 strict style for higher rep sets. It worked very well. I have never tried it for an actual work set though.

I'm with ya Wolf. Press 2.0 first rep, and stretch reflex for the rest. It take so long for me to setup the middle reps for 2.0 I'm outta gas prematurely. I wish I was closer to 260. That's #hodor for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post

And, as I've mentioned, I think it would probably be better in the long run if I just took the weight down and forced myself to re-adapt completely to press 2.0 for all five reps. But, in part because of impatience, and in part because powerlifting doesn't contest the press, I haven't done so. Still managed to add 35 more lbs to my press, with a 260 single right before the meet a few weeks back.
    ok, thanks for the information. I looked up the threads you were referring to. I just saw your video and wondered, also I'm considering switching to press 2.0 and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Decided gonna do a mini re-LP to see where I can get my 3x5 to this time around. Last time, finishing up in late Jan or early Feb, I went to 435x5x3. Given the current kilo/pound combos I'm working with, getting to 454x5x3 would be nice, maaaaaaybe 460.

Squat
    416x5x3
    Notes
    : Solid. Rested 5ish minutes and bar speed was good, felt solid and fast.

Deadlift
    495x5
    , 405x5
    Notes: After the low back tweak on the last DL workout of my last cycle, I really want to focus on setting my back, especially lumbar, as hard as possible. I fell into pursuing the weight on the bar, rather than maintaining good form. To a certain extent this is inevitable as you climb into the upper 500's for sets of 5, and mid to upper 600's as a max, and it's difficult to ascertain exactly where that line is. And some people can tolerate it perfectly fine. But I have a history of lifting related back injuries, so I need to be more careful.

So I really focused on getting squeezed up tight before each, rep. However, this was my first set of 5 DLs in 2 months, and coming off the peak and then deload of a meet, so I didn't really know what to expect. My 405 warmup felt great, so did a rep at 460, and chose 495 and my work weight. Bar speed was good, nothing slow about the work-set at all, but I wasn't entirely able to hold a full squeeze. Reps 2 and 3 were pretty good, but the other 3 reps showed a bit of unlocking. Again, not as much as it first appears, due to the hypertrophy of my erectors in general,and the relative hypertrophy of my right side erectors compared to my left somewhat distorting what my "squeezed up" position looks like. But nevertheless, there was a bit of unlocking. 405 was solid as a rock.

Video of the DLs:

Versa Climber
    75 ft / 60s rest x 4
    Notes: Conditioning still sucks. I planned on 5. However, after 4 decided "fuck it."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    As a contrast, I've used the press 2.0 since I started lifting. I rarely do sets of more than 5, but there was a time when I was experimenting with 3x8 volume sets on the presses. It was difficult to use the 2.0 style for 8 reps, even at a reduced weight. The sets became too long and I found myself fatiguing towards the end, so I tried the 1.0 strict style for higher rep sets. It worked very well. I have never tried it for an actual work set though.
    Interesting. My experience coaching the lift this way over the past couple years, is that those who first start pressing using the Press 2.0 both pick it up more quickly and have less trouble with the holding between reps, than people who learned to press 1.0 and are trying to switch. But I can see how doing sets of 8+ would get tiresome with that hold between reps, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    I'm with ya Wolf. Press 2.0 first rep, and stretch reflex for the rest. It take so long for me to setup the middle reps for 2.0 I'm outta gas prematurely. I wish I was closer to 260. That's #hodor for sure
    Ya, I don't really think this is optimal, but it's a very good compromise to take advantage of the 2.0 to some extent, without having to do a huge deload and work back up to adapt to it. I started with one rep 2.0 then the rest stretch reflex, but a while back, started doing 2.0 on the last rep as well. You will occasionally see me doing a set with 3 reps done in 2.0 style, as in the set above.

Quote Originally Posted by Levon_Xidyn View Post
    ok, thanks for the information. I looked up the threads you were referring to. I just saw your video and wondered, also I'm considering switching to press 2.0 and I'm not sure if it's worth it.
    It's well worth it, IMO.

I switched to 2.0, although I'm not sure I really get my hips forward enough. I can hardly do the stretch reflex thing anymore. I feel like it takes more out of me unless I can stop at the bottom and get my breath. I'm the same with touch and go deadlifts too though. They actually seem harder to me.

starting strength coach development program
    I had a very active weekend, and was a bit tired and sore today, so was worried it would affect today's training. And I thought it did, till I realized I messed up on my bar math and mis-loaded my presses. So it only really affected the bench. Got my reps, but it was a near limit set, rather than having a bit in the tank.

Bench Press
    344.5x5
    Notes:
    Very hard. Started slowing a bit by the 3rd rep, and the 5th was a grind. I assume it's due to what I mentioned above, so I'll continue the progression of jumps. Next week should be 350.5.

Press
    190x5, 212x5, 217x5, 212x5, 190x5
    Notes
    : Messed up the barbell math with the kilo/pound combos. The plan was 190,201,206, 201, 190. I wondered why the second set felt so hard and the third was even harder. Then after the 4th set, I realized I missed up my loading for sets 2 through 4. So I did more work than intended, but at least it explained why those three sets were so damn hard.

Vid of what I thought was 206, but was actually 217:

Chins
    Notes: Ramping back up slowly (damn you, chins!), but 9s were easyish so did an extra couple reps on the last set.

BW Rows
    BW x 10 x 2
    Notes: Used the TRX, at about the lowest height I could go and get full arm extension at the bottom of the rep. Adding assistance work back in slowly.

Tricep Rope Pushdowns
    62.5x15

Cable External Rotations
    7.5x15x3

Finished with shoulder capsule stretch.