starting strength gym
Page 203 of 443 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213253303 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

That's about all the discussion I'm interested in having on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post

That's about all the discussion I'm interested in having on the subject.
    Sniff... You've snubbed me and hurt my feelings. aaaaaaAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by medwards View Post
    Sniff... You've snubbed me and hurt my feelings. aaaaaaAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHhhhhh

And just to clarify: I didn't post the Hulk video in reference to myself.

Stitches out as of this morning. The area of the incision is still slightly irritated but nothing that should prevent me from doing anything. Doc said it takes up to a year to fully & completely heal, and I should put SPF 30 sunscreen on it before going outside or else the scar area will darken. I probably won't, because I don't really care enough to devote what little mental energy I have to spare to remembering to put on sunscreen before going outside for an entire year. Fuck that noise. Scars are cool.

Ramped back up today but still easing my way back in.

Squat
    45x5x2, 133x5, 199x5, 265x5, 309x5, 353x5
    Notes: Put belt on for 309 and 353. Not because I needed to, but to re-acclimate to wearing the belt. Back to the 4th hole, too, which is good. I had it on the third for a bit there, and there's no reason I need to carry enough bf right now to have it on the third hole. All reps were easy and explosive.

CGBP
    45x5, 111x5, 155x5, 199x3, 243x5, 265x5x2
    Notes: I've been putting my index finger about 1.5 inches outside the smooth for these; felt a bit odd at the heavier sets so moved it out an inch for the final set at 265. Felt a bit less odd. I'll experiment with my regular grip on Thursday, see how my shoulder reacts. By now it's been about 2.5 weeks since I've benched with a regular grip, and the only benching I've done in the meantime has been the very, very light stuff with close grip. Hopefully that will prove to have been enough rest for my achey breakey left shoulder.

Press
    45x5, 89x5, 133x3, 155x5, 177x5x2, 133x10
    Notes: I really have a love/hate thing going with the press. I feed and water it so lovingly - since I started pressing regularly in 2008, not a training week has gone by where I haven't barbell pressed at least once. More often twice, sometimes even thrice. I enjoy it SO much more than the bench press. Yet, I'm mediocre at it (relative to my other lifts), and it goes down so quickly when left alone for reasons beyond my control. DAMN YOU, PRESS, I CAN'T HELP BUT LOVE YOU BUT ALL YOU DO IS CAUSE ME PAIN!

177 felt way, way harder than I expected. Not actually hard, but if we were RPEing it, I'd put it at a 7.5 or 8, whereas I expected it to be a 6. Relatively speaking, it's roughly equivalent to the 353 squat I did today, which was much, much easier in comparison. Bah. I hate you, press. But I also love you. So I'll be back.

BW Chins
    Notes: Threw the 6 in there just to get used to some more volume without overdoing it. Could've done 8x4.

Tricep Rope
    57.5x15x2

Cable Ext Sh. Rotations
    7.5x15x2
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-15-2014 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post

And just to clarify: I didn't post the Hulk video in reference to myself.
    Would make training easier, wouldn't it?

I wouldn't be too worried about the scar getting darker. I didn't do shit to take care of mine, it's about 4-5 inches on my shoulder and it's practically invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    I wouldn't be too worried about the scar getting darker. I didn't do shit to take care of mine, it's about 4-5 inches on my shoulder and it's practically invisible.
    It's the exposure to sun that causes the potential darkening. Not an issue for a shoulder incision, at least not the way I dress.

Ended up going a little more aggressive than my plan today. Once I was under the bar and felt good, and also thinking about my timetable ahead, I wanted to hasten the ramping back up process a bit. I still think it's reasonably conservative, just slightly less so than before.

Squat
    45x6x2, 135x5, 225x4, 291x2, 337x1, 359x5, 370x5, 381x5
    Notes: First time in the ramp-up doing multiple sets at anything remotely resembling a heavy weight. I planned to do 359 and then 370 for two sets, but looked so easy upon review of the film that I added 5kg for the last set.

Deadlift
    135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 405x5
    Notes: Last set was 3 reps DOH and last 2 hooked, to re-acclimate to hook grip. Planned on 392, so this was also a small increase over that plan. Fast, easy reps. I noticed upon watching the video of my DLs, and have noticed in some other recent DL footage, that I don't set my grip right on my first rep. I try to overgrip, and the bar has to make its way down lower into my hand and fingers before it leaves the floor. I will be working to improve this. It's tricky though, because it's not something you can work on at light weight, since you don't know you're doing it wrong until the weight is heavy enough that you can't pull it in the wrong position in your hands. Right now, since I'm a bit out of training, this is probably somewhere between 365 and 405. But as I ramp back up, it'll probably go to somewhere between 455 and 495 before long. Will be a challenge.

Sled Push
    Empty x 1, 15kg x 4 - all done at about RPE 7.5-8. Just getting back into conditioning. It made me breathe a little heavy but was very manageable.

Chins
    Notes: Just because. Rested about a minute between sets.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-16-2014 at 03:16 PM.

It's hot here in Louisiana, and I was shirtless a lot outside.

starting strength coach development program
    You should lift what you feel like is a solid workout, RPE it man! But seriously, it makes sense to not be overly ginger just for the sake of it if you are feeling good, you want a training effect right? On the flip side, this is a long cycle until the meet, so you do have some play here.... Glad everything is going well! Are we going to work out Friday? I heard a rumor from the west coast...