starting strength gym
Page 204 of 443 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214254304 ... LastLast
Results 2,031 to 2,040 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    You should lift what you feel like is a solid workout, RPE it man! But seriously, it makes sense to not be overly ginger just for the sake of it if you are feeling good, you want a training effect right? On the flip side, this is a long cycle until the meet, so you do have some play here....
    Those are the two main things I'm interplaying here. So we're thinking along the same lines. Plus, unfortunately, I have A LOT of experience in ramping back up and am calling upon that as well.

I do plan on starting to incorporate some RPE into my training as I move ahead towards new PR level lifts, and need to remember to start gauging RPE even during these lighter workouts to get used to it. I'm generally not very good at going by feel, but will use video to get a more a better reading than my subjective 'how it felt' and start to better connect the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Glad everything is going well! Are we going to work out Friday? I heard a rumor from the west coast...
    This is the first I'm hearing of this. I thought I was coaching until it would be too late for SLR to train on Friday. Guess we'll flesh this out offline.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    This is the first I'm hearing of this. I thought I was coaching until it would be too late for SLR to train on Friday. Guess we'll flesh this out offline.
    Technically we were supposed to talk on the phone tonight...

Rob IS (see what I did there?!!) the boss man about when I'm leaving on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Archenbronn View Post

Rob IS (see what I did there?!!) the boss man about when I'm leaving on Friday.
    Yea, unfortunately I got somewhere to be. Sorry we can't sync Wolf.

Ah well, that's a shame.

In other news, my internet has been down all day, so since I'm doing this from my phone I'm just going to do it shorthand and without video.

Press
    179x5, 185x5x2, 142x10

Bench Press
    267x5, 289x5x2, 201x12
    Notes: moved grip a little wider today and still felt fine. Still noticeably narrower than usual grip.

BW Chins

BW Ring Rows

Tricep Rope
    62.5x15x2

Cable External Sh Rot
    7.5x15x2

Missed training yesterday - was too tired, exacerbated by staying up till past 2am Thursday night to let in my weekend houseguest - whose pseudo last name rhymes with "Sosa" - after her flight got delayed for about a billion hours. Made it up today.

Squat
    381x5, 403x5, 408x5
    Notes:
    Squatted in Romaleos today for the first time. Liked the shoe's overall stability, but it was weird being in a 3/4" heel after 13 solid months in the 1/2" Rogues. Had trouble staying as tight at the bottom. I will probably continue squatting in the Rogues.

Deadlift
    449x5, 359x5
    Notes: This still feels very off. DL just hasn't been the same since I tweaked my back in June. Feels like I just can't quite get into the right position no matter what I do, and feels very slow off the floor. But everything looks easy and fast on the vid. Maybe it's just that I need to get used to tugging on a heavy weight off the floor again.

Sled Push
    1 empty
    6 x 15kg - added two trips, and went at about 90% today.
    1 double round trip empty

BW Chins

Also, my internet at home has been out since I woke up Thursday. In addition to being very annoying, it's meant that I've barely been around here the past few days. Lucky to catch wifi out and post my training with uploaded vids this afternoon. Hopefully will get this resolved soon so I can hang out at my favorite online haunt. But Time Warner Cable sucks the balls, so it may be a while.

Hardly slept last night, probably got 3.5 hrs total with not more than 1:45 continuously, so I'm very tired today. Felt similar to how I felt the day of the July meet, except slightly more sleep but I didn't have meet adrenaline to help. Heavy head, difficult to focus, lots of yawning. Today didn't feel strong or solid on technique, but I'm chalking it up to the sleep issue. Hopefully I can crash early tonight, squats are creeping up towards heavy again and I'd like to come at them with more in the tank.

Press
    186.5x5, 192.5x5x2, 151x10
    Notes: I expect 192x5 to be a breeze at this point and am disappointed when it's not. As the vid shows, they're not slow by any means, but I want to do this weight for five reps and feel zero bar slowdown and/or muscle fatigue for the entire set, and that's not the case*. It's such a mental mindfuck how quickly my press gets pissed away. I was doing 210x5x5 only a couple months ago. Just gotta grind my way back up.

Bench Press
    300x5x3, 223x11
    Notes: First set was a bit off, next two were much better. Third set was without a hand-off. I moved my grip out again to only about 2 finger widths narrower than my normal bench grip, and shoulder feels fine.

Chins

TRX BW Row
    10,10,8 - ran out of gas on the 3rd set

KB 1-Arm Press
    40x5, 50x5, 61.6x5,6
    Notes: Cables were busy, so did these instead of triceps and external rotations

Got 7+ hrs sleep last night (a rarity for me) and feel better today, but still not 100%. Still low energy and a little fuzzy instead of focused. Hope I'm not coming down with something; my frustration would be pretty high if I had to take yet ANOTHER step back from training and then ramp back up. Guess we'll see.

Squat
    397x5 @8, 410x5 @8.5, 421x5 @9.
    Notes:
    Didn't feel good here today. It wasn't *that* ago that I did 450x5x3 with some gas left in the tank, so didn't expect things to get challenging yet. Hopefully it's just today being an off day.

Going to start gauging RPE for future use. I've read the RTS articles on it but that was a while back and I also haven't ever consistently gauged it, so this is going to be somewhat interesting getting used to it. Right now, I'm using a combo of how it felt during the set and bar speed and form upon review of the video. I tend to run out of gas much more quickly than most (one rep will shoot up, the next will slow down significantly - way more than you'd have thought based on the previous rep - and then the next rep is a fail), so bar speed will be tempered by my feeling about the set.

Power Clean
    A bunch of technique work from the jumping position, hang below knee, and floor with: 45,89, and 111. Then 133x3x2, 155x3x2, 177x3x2, 188x3x2
    Notes: Felt pretty crappy at first, like I couldn't find a good rhythm and couldn't consistently both hit jumping position and jump hard. Got better as it got heavier, and the 177 and 188 were, mostly, the best sets.

I also experimented with stance a bit. I think I'd like to take a wider stance, but when I do, my shins rub up against the knurling on the pull off the floor, which isn't good. Even though I don't get horribly scraped when wearing socks, dragging the knurled part of the bar up my shins creates a noticeable catching and slowing effect. Tried turning my toes less out and that helped a bit, but still was dragging up the knurling. I'll have to experiment more with this.

Sled Push
    20kg x 7 - added 5kg and one round.
    Notes: The area in which to push the sled is also the main thoroughfare of the gym, which got crowded today by the time I was pushing the sled. So I had to rest longer than I wanted to for a few rounds while people casually strolled their way across the floor.

BW Chins
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-23-2014 at 04:23 PM.

The press is the least of the lifts, but the most sensitive. In my experience, anyway.

I commend you on your correct spelling of gauge.

starting strength coach development program
    Do you wear polyester socks? I switched from cotton to 100% poly recently and the difference is night and day.