starting strength gym
Page 206 of 443 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216256306 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,060 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks, Rob. I usually feel things go well/easy until I'm at the very least really close, if not at or past, my previous bests at that set/rep range so this is a new experience for me. But I'm trying to just grind through and not worry so much about it.

Because my left shoulder is still bothering me, I'm prioritizing pressing right now and doing it first every day. I may just have to lower the weight a bit and switch to a narrower grip to resume normal programming, or I may continue to prioritize press. Or, if I'm lucky, it may stop bothering me altogether but I'm not holding my breath for that one.

I do like the feel of cotton socks, but I may have to suck it up and change that if I want to try a wider stance for my cleans.

OK day today. Squats felt decent, though not great; pulls felt a lot better than last week. Still not back in the usual groove, but definitely better.

Squat
    405x5 @ 8, 421x5 @ 8.5, 432x5 @ 9
    Notes:
    Bar speed would probably indicate 1/2 an RPE point lower for each set, but I'm going by the bar speed and 'feel' combo. Still harder than it ought to be (did a 438x5 @ 8 only four weeks ago), but what can ya do.

Deadlift
    476x5 @ 8.5
    Notes:
    Still a bit slower off the floor and less 'tight' feeling, which is why I scored it an 8.5. Bar speed looks like a 7.5 I'd say, but again, feel.

Sled Push
    20kg x 8 - 1 min rest, except a couple times where logistical considerations necessitated more rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Interesting. How long are the socks?
    Sorry...been away. Well on me, they come up to the bottom of my knee. My knee sleeves cover them.

Pressing was really rough today, even by my not very high expectations these days. It doesn't look that bad on vid in isolation, but I'm taking it in the context of how quickly my press craters and reps become bone on bone grinds (or missed) based on what they do through my sticking point. Everything else was fine, however; bench felt better than Thursday.

Press
    201x5x3 @ 9,9,9.5. 162x10 @ 9
    Notes:
    Made a smaller jump to 201, but still hard. I'd like to PR my 3x5 and surpass 210 but am not sure if I'll get there at this current rate. I've more recently done 210x5x5, at which time I probably could have done 217x5x3 or so, but now even thinking about 210x5x5 makes me feel weak.

Bench Press
    313x5x3 @ 8,8.5,8.5. 232.5x12 @ 9.
    Notes:
    This, at least, is starting to feel better. And my shoulder feels ok afterwards, too, even though I took the same grip I took Thursday - pinkies just inside the PL line. My ideal grip is pinkies on that line, but this is way better than the much closer grips I was taking for a little while there. I am considering trying to work in some CGBP, but it's nice for now to have my regular BP feeling ok for the first time in a while.

BW Chins
    Notes:
    Wasn't resting as much as usual between sets, and before the third set, got suckered into doing some silly gym BS with some of the guys there. They were setting up a 12" box further and further from the fixed chin bar that sticks out about 18-24" from the padded wall, and seeing if they could jump and catch the chin bar (like someone in a movie jumping and catching the rail of a helicopter). All these guys weigh about 175-200. They got as far out as they dared, and I couldn't let them think the big PL dude can't hang, so without any warming up or prepping at progressively further distances, I just went up and did it. I did my third set of chins about 30s later. Ah well At least I didn't get hurt, which easily could have happened doing something so stupid.

BW TRX Rows

Tricep Rope
    62.5x15,13

Cbl External Rotations
    7.5x15x2
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-29-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Tried to train today but The Barbell Gods decided it wasn't in the cards. My left knee was especially crabby today, and of course I forgot my knee sleeves at home. I had some unable-to-ignore pain inside my knee during eccentric knee flexion. I've been dealing with this at a low level for a while, I think years, but don't usually mention it because it's usually at a manageable level compared with some of the other shit I deal with. It's just a suck it up and lift kind of deal. But today, I started squatting and it bothered me from the first rep, and while it warmed up a little - and I did some extra warm-up sets and reps - it never felt right. Once the warm-ups got heavy, I was shifting WAY over to my right leg on the way down and couldn't center myself no matter what I tried. Once that happened, my head was out of the game. Did some half hearted power cleans and skipped sled pushing. Feeling annoyed right now. Here's what I did before packing it in.

Squat
    45x5x3, 135x5, 225x5, 291x4, 337x3, 381x3, 405x1, 315x5

Power Clean
    45x4, 89x3x2, 122x3, 144x3, 166x3, 188x3x2

I could feel the knee on some of the power clean set-ups, too. Interestingly, never during the rep itself. Only when bending knees to bring shin to bar during the set-up. This is something I've felt for a long time on the random stray DL or PC rep here and there, but not consistently like today where it happened a lot and didn't go away.

tl;dr - I couldn't really train today and blargh.

Hardly slept last night, probably got 3.5 hrs total with not more than 1:45 continuously, so I'm very tired today....
    : (

Got 7+ hrs sleep last night (a rarity for me) and feel better today, but still not 100%. Still low energy and a little fuzzy instead of focused....

OK day today. Still a little annoyed at how these weights feel vs how I expect them to feel

OK day today. Squats felt decent, though not great; pulls felt a lot better than last week. Still not back in the usual groove, but definitely better.
    : )

Pressing was really rough today, even by my not very high expectations these days....

: ( 4 : ) 1

The sad faces are winning. What's going on man? Don't let the sad faces win.

Tried to train today but The Barbell Gods decided it wasn't in the cards. My left knee was especially crabby today, and of course I forgot my knee sleeves at home.... I couldn't really train today and blargh.
    : ( 1

Another one for the sad faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    : ( 1

Another one for the sad faces.
    DOWN WITH THE SAD FACES!

I haven't felt like I've been clicking on all cylinders since around May. But that's ok, we can make progress without everything feeling great. But it's as if nothing has felt good since I had that little back tweak right before the meet. It's been a lot of sad faces since then, and very little to no progress.

Less : (, more HODOR!

starting strength coach development program
    Interesting. How long are the socks?
    I swear by these:

http://www.amazon.com/Swiftwick-Twel.../dp/B00791PTXQ

They are mildly compressive (very mild) and come all the way to just under the knee on me. They are perfect for deadlifts.

And they breathe very well. Great socks.

I agree with Karl: more Hodor.