starting strength gym
Page 208 of 443 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209210218258308 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Great time lifting with so many friends at WFAC tonight. Even though I couldn't squat heavy, my knee felt much better than Tuesday and I was able to go to 365 without a problem. Also my deadlifts felt good for the first time since June.

Squat
    45x5x3, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5, 365x6 (last one paused)
    Notes: Could still feel my left knee on the descent, a little crabby but so much better than Tuesday. Hopeful that by this coming Tuesday, I'll be able to take it up to at least 405. Regardless, whatever is inexplicably wrong seems to be getting better. As long as that's happening, I'm happy to take it slow.

Deadlift
    495x6 @ 8.5
    Notes:
    Technically this a PR, since I never, ever, ever do 6 reps for deadlifts. Ever. I was feeling the energy in the room tonight so went for an extra rep. It's also the first time since June that my pull didn't feel off and harder than it should have for a given weight. I'm still a far ways away from my best DLs from earlier this year (575x5, 585x4, 600x3), but it was nice to do an extra rep and still feel I had more than 1 rep left in the tank, at a not insignificant weight. Very happy about this.

Last edited by Michael Wolf; 10-03-2014 at 11:47 PM.

Though a bit rushed due to having to make my flight at DFW, had a lot of fun training with Niki, Brent, Tom, Carmen, and Fox at WFAC today before heading out. After the tiring weekend, I was glad to get some decent work in. Still not feeling near the top of my game, but certainly better than my most recent upper body focused day last Thursday.

Press
    195x5 @ 8.5
    205x5x2 @ 9.75, 9
    165x10@9.5

Notes: Still not feeling super strong, but better than Thursday. First set at 205 was a little loose. Locked it in better for the second set, with a bit of coaches' eye from Brent.

Bench Press
    315x5x3 @ 9, 8.5, 9
    245x11 @ 9.5
    Notes:
    Felt OK here, too. Not great but OK.

BW Chins
    5 sets of 10
    Notes: Last two sets got a bit hard.

That was all I had time for. Drove back with Brent, who completed a great TM Volume day of 340x5x5 squat, 145x5x5 press, and some purposely sub-max pulls of 335x5 and 365x3 in advance of his mock meet on Friday in preparation for the Iron Fest at Crossfit Gantry. Niki also had some solid lifts, and I got to spot the bench press of the one and only Comrade Campitelli. A fine finish to a great weekend, and then ran into Alex and Steve at the airport. Now, back to the grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Drove back with Brent, who completed a great TM Volume day of 340x5x5 squat, 145x5x5 press, and some purposely sub-max pulls of 335x5 and 365x3 in advance of his mock meet on Friday in preparation for the Iron Fest at Crossfit Gantry. Niki also had some solid lifts, and I got to spot the bench press of the one and only Comrade Campitelli. A fine finish to a great weekend, and then ran into Alex and Steve at the airport. Now, back to the grind.
    What does Brent weigh, if I may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    What does Brent weigh, if I may ask?
    More than you, Mr. Skillin. Brent will probably compete at 82.5kg.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    More than you, Mr. Skillin. Brent will probably compete at 82.5kg.
    Well, that's strong work, and I bet he's going to out-lift me pretty handily, at least in squats and presses. I'll certainly be rooting for him.

The bad news: My knee isn't substantively better than it was Friday.
    The good news: It hasn't gotten any worse or regressed, either.

I wanted to move up to 405 today, but still felt some discomfort with eccentric knee flexion and some shifting to my right to avoid the discomfort of letting my knee go fully forward and out as it should. I filmed all the sets from directly behind, and while the deviation from symmetrical isn't bad at all, it's just enough to notice. That, combined with how it feels, tells me it's not yet ready to ramp it back up yet.

Squat
    45x5x4, 89x5, 135x5, 184x5, 225x5, 274x5, 313x5, 357x5, 384x5
    Notes: Above

Power Clean
    45x6, 89x3, 133x3, 155x3, 177x3, 199x3x2
    Notes: Kept my knee sleeves on, thought it might help keep my knees happier and more comfortable while cleaning. Holy shit. How do any of you clean in knee sleeves? Granted I use the 7mm rehbands, which are pretty thick, but I completely lose any tactile sense of where the bar is as soon as it gets over the knee sleeve area. I tend to want to jump early as it is, and this made it a lot worse. I had trouble waiting for the jumping position and keeping my arms straight. Since the weight is still fairly light, going to 199 for triples was fine in terms of making the lifts, but they were awful, technique-wise.

Ah well. Maybe this is all for the good, allowing me some recovery and not training too hard while still recovering systemically from the whole cyst thing.

Reading your write up of the last day in WF made me super regret not planning a later flight. AND my flight was so delayed I couldn't work out when I got back as planned. BLeg!

Bummer about the knee. It's a bitch for sure.

Totally a bummer you didn't come train with us, RobIs.

So my left knee feels a whole lot better today. Not 100% but substantially better. Good. My right knee, for some #*^*(#@&#^*^#*^#* reason, decided to be a pain in my buttocks and start hurting today. For no discernible reason. In a similar place but in a totally different way than my left did/still does a little. It would be plausible to suggest I may have done something to it when squatting on Tuesday, perhaps shifting weight or otherwise compensating for my left knee's woes, that could have caused this. But I watched the video and any shifting was so, so very subtle. And my right knee felt fine during, after, and the day after. Why would this suddenly pop up now? It appears I have somehow caused the wrath of the barbell gods to flare up at me again; the Year of the Wolf was February through June. That's all I had. The rest of the year appears, once again, to be dedicated to ramping back up and/or dealing with injuries the origin of which is mysterious. Fuark.

We'll see how I feel tomorrow. The right knee has some significant discomfort when locking out, so I may not be able to squat OR pull heavy tomorrow. I was hoping to squat up to 405x5 and pull 510x5 at CFSBK before the seminar. Guess we'll see how that goes.

Also, I wore my knee sleeves today even though it was upper body day. Felt good while wearing them, but it's a helluva thing when you feel compelled to wear knee sleeves for upper body work. Not leave them on after squatting, for pressing or something; specifically putting them on for upper body work. #oldmanproblems

Ok, the work:

Bench Press
    320x5 @ 8.5
    322.5x5x2 @ 9, 8.5
    250x12 @ 9
    Notes:
    Since my left shoulder is feeling better, I decided I'm finally ready to train bench again so did it first, before pressing. Solid work, overall.

Press
    184x5 @ 8.5
    190x5 @ 9
    195x5 @ 9
    157x10 @ 9.5
    Notes:
    Hit my chin on the way up on the last rep of 190. Haven't done that in a LONG while. I didn't film any sets today but feel like I'm not getting a good bounce on my first and last reps (the ones where I do the Press 2.0).

BW Chins
    5 sets of 10 (1 of the sets was neutral grip)

DB Curlz
    55x8, 45x10

Cable Ext Rot
    7.5x15x2

Quick post before I fall asleep - wake up is in less than 6 hours to get to breakfast in Brooklyn on time. Got to lift pre-seminar today at Crossfit South Brooklyn, which is always a pleasure. Brent was lifting too, and David was there; fun catching up with David and watching Brent just CRUSH 405. He's been building up to that for a loooong time and it was great to see.

In my lifting, my left knee is a whole lot better; the right is still crabby but a lot less than yesterday, so was able to actually squat a bit heavier today, and it still felt better than when I squatted lighter earlier in the week. I'm glad things are at least moving in the right direction.

Squat
    45x5x3, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5, 365x5, 405x5
    Notes:Could just barely feel slight discomfort in knees at 405, but really not bad at all.

Deadlift
    515x5 @ 8.5
    455x5 @ 8

Notes: There was a donkey leaning up on the chalk bucket to watch me. Rip called me "Michael" for the first time in my 2.5 years of knowing him, and oh ya, I did some pulls. The video is really all you need to know.

starting strength coach development program
    Haha, so funny. What does the hand gesture Rip makes mean?