starting strength gym
Page 2 of 125 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Pack Mule - Josiah's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Well...I had him down about 1 inch to go and I would win, just had to get his hand down. But he said "YOU LIFTED YOUR ELBOW!"

Which was bullshit. Then he beat me on the next one. Which was alright, because apparently he's been arm wrestling in tournaments since he was like 12 and knows all the little techniques n shit. I know like 2 technique points so in the first match he probably figured those out and did whatever beats those in the 2nd one. Bullshitter.

This shit is the berries!

Squat: 475x1, 435x2x4
    Speed DL: 365x2x2 - no explosion, 315x2x4, 335x2x2
    Rows: 155x8,175x7 - too much, 155x8

Felt in the groove on squats. Been playing with a sliiiightly wider stance, to help me cut off some of the depth. I'm maybe 1-2 inches wider but damn does it make me feel tighter in the hole. It has made my adductors feel a bit sore but other than that my legs felt damn good today. It was my back that wasn't happy with going up any more. Upper back started to round on 475, I coulda probably got 485 but the rounding would have been blah.

Speed deads, meh. I still hate these. Don't feel like I'm doing anything productive with them honestly. Next time I do a Bulgarian style training cycle I'll just do power cleans 2x a week instead of speed deadlifts. Power cleans are more fun anyway.

Elbow is still being a douchebag of course. I think the wider grip on squats is going to help in the long run though. Going to close grip first thing tomorrow. It'll probably fucking hurt but hopefully won't stop me.

11 days til meet! I'm going to smoke 500. I'm feeling good for it.

Garbage fuckin salad.

Close grip: 285x1 - fuck elbow
    Squat: 465x1, 425x2 - fuck elbow
    DB curls: 40x14, 40x12

RAHHHH. Safety squat bar would be nice.

Good luck with the wider stance on the squat. I tried them a few times but my groin kills me, so I stopped.
    500 squat will be epic! Make sure someone records your comp.
    You're giving me motivation dude, I'm the same age and height as you, go nail that 500 for all the 5'9ers out there!

Thanks armin. Glad I could motivate someone!

Squat 465x1, 425x2x6
    PC: 185x1 - elblow not havin it
    Few curls and chins to try to flush out the elbow. Meh.

Forgot my damn knee sleeves, not a huge deal really but mentally I think it got me at least for heavy stuff. For some reason felt like my left hamstring was going to pull, also. Well anyway I got to 465 and it didn't feel in the groove at all, back rounded, said fuck it lets make up some volume from yesterday. So dropped down to 425 and did 6 doubles. Lower back started feeling like a damn knot so I stuck with 6. I haven't gone over 4x2 for backoff sets so I'm cool with that. Got good work in today.

Elbow didn't hurt as bad on squats today, so I was slightly happy. Maybe I'll be able to get some solid bench work in tomorrow. I think widening the grip is key, because I was putting the bar slightly lower, felt like an actual low bar squat, without increasing the pain. So once I get rid of this I think I'll be good with a wide grip and still be able to do low bar. Happy about that.

Scale had me at 219.2 today. Fuck yeah!

Ive been there with the elbow pain, arm wrestling too. If you wernt peaking for the meet Id sudgest subbing high bar for low bar squats, inward grip on pullup/chins, and dumbbell bench and overhead until the pain subsides. Works for me every time. Another trick I used when my elbow was really bad but I wanted to LB backsquat anyways is Id do semi-heavy DB farmers walks before and inbetween sets. I really have no clue why it works but it does.

Bench: 285x1, 295x1 (F) - barely missed it...meh. 255x2x4
    Squat: 485x1 - 5 lb PR, 435x2x3

Had some attitude in my warmups today on squats. I can tell at 225 if it's gonna be a good day. Today I knew it would be good. I normally go from my warmups to my current daily minimum which is 445, but today I skipped from 405 to 455. Possibly new minimum. Awesome that my old 1RM is now possibly my daily minimum. That's the goal! Keep increasing the minimums.

Family PR:

Taught my sister how to lift and she's been working hard for the past few months. This was her facebook status the other day:
    "Wooped my own arse at the gym, holy dead lift. For once in my life, the thought of bikini season is becoming less and less daunting. I threw out the word "skinny" from my vocab and replaced it with fit and strong. WOO! "

Hell yeah!

EDIT: This should go in the thread of awesome...

I'm sharkin' ya.

starting strength coach development program
    Get them to sign on the line which is dotted! YOU HEAR ME YOU FUCKIN FAGGOTS?!

Today's shitstorm:

Squat: 465x1, 425x2x3
    DL: 495x1, 535x1 - locked out but started to slip out of hook grip...gotta get that shit set better. - 475x2 - completely dead
    Curls 40x12,12,9

Come closer Willie I'm hungry for some SHARK FIN SOUP!

Page 2 of 125 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast