starting strength gym
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: hrat's log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hooray for publications!

When I started on TM, I did a major reset to solidify form. It's not perfect now, but its pretty solid, mostly because of the weeks I spent a lower weight repeating "shove your knees out" and "drive with your hips". I'm sure I have a reset coming soon, so I'll be grumbling along with you.

Yesterday; warmed up with band round knees squat barx5 and 40x5, then 40x3 without, and knees were even too far out after the prompt from a blue band doubled, 60x3 no belt, no pain, the 75x5, 80x1, 85x1 tight belt, no pain etc, but hard work. DL failed 100DOH, just barely got it hooked, workset 112.5 x3 loose belt was too loose; failed 4th. Took a few mins and tried again, got 3 but no more. Round back GM bar x3x8
    Probably weak due to female issues (happens 1 or 2 days a month)

Today, press 30 3x5 Hard, but felt consistent, but only small increase there for next week.
    Then a 100% weight PR, finally managed an actual snatch from floor. Some balances and hang snatch, then 25 x about 4 x1, and then 30x3x1 and one miss in there somewhere. Then did an hour of 5-aside football (soccer), and went out for "Wild Board and Veal meatball pizza", couple pints of Guinness and some whisky.

Seem to be sitting nicely at 65, so I'll up the food a bit and try and stay here, or drop very slowly, depending if I can get stronger.

I'll be following your log, especially when you talk about wild boar and veal meatball pizza! That sounds like squat PR food to me.

It seemed to taste mostly of lemon grass to be honest, and slightly sweet. I've never tried veal as real meat, will have to sometime. I'm too cheap to buy things like that often, but steak of some sort happens about once a month. Boring things like turkey are all I can afford daily.

Reading Michelle's log about her meet has got me thinking. I've a meet coming up March 18th, which will be my 5th, and I don't think it's going to go that well. I'm still coming back from Xmas and a back injury, and my last two were dissapointments. Track record is;
    First in October 2010 had no belt, was learning commands on the day. S 72.5,77.5,82.5, B 35,40,45, DL 90,?,105
    Second in March 2011 was the best, had got a belt, and some confidence, S 80,87.5,92.5(v. hard), B 42.5,47.5 F52.5, DL 105,115,120(v hard)
    Third in June 2011 was a 2hour drive away which I stupidly did; quad cramp on 40kg warmup squats, bad times. Got S 85,95, F102.5, B45,50,F52.5, DL 115,127.5, F130. Then got a flight to Paris next morning.
    Fourth was in August in Belfast after a week in the Lakes; think I was sick/overtrained; I was in bed by 10pm every night of the holiday, hips were aching, and was wrong TOTM. Got S 92.5, F100,F100, B 47.5 F52.5,F52.5, DL 120, F130,F130 so 3 for 9, cried after the squat fails and slept all afternoon. Actually, writing this out, pretty sure I was ill. Still a great experience, but I felt a prat.

Last November/Dec. I squatted 102.5 and pulled 135 and nearly 140 (went up, hitched), but I'm severely doubting being able to do that at this meet, and that pisses me off, to the point of wondering why to bother. I want a 300 total, but that needs 105, 55, 140 and aint going to happen, damn it. I suppose I should treat this as a refresher, then get strong for a June/July performance.

Got over myself and decided to eat more. Then went climbing this morning, and for a quick run, and it's now 6pm and I've eaten 400 cals mostly of kippers and am not hungry. Gah.

Also, did a few hill runs; was amazing to feel the energy source change. I mean, starting anaerobic, and suddenly running out of drive, slowing down and needing to breathe NOW. (I've been reading FIT and learning things, which is always dangerous for me).

Ended up eating obscene amounts of noodles fried in butter, and some pork. Seemed a good idea at the time.
    Monday squat 67.5kg 5x5 no belt, variable knees, mostly out nicely but still travelling at the bottom. PC 47.5x3,2,3,2,3,2 I think. Poor, think sprints was too much and had no explosion to give. Plank +20kg 1min20, 1min killer
    Tuesday am; bench 50 4,3 45x5. Technically a PR, but awful. Line was way off, they were drifting up. Also felt knackered, left gym totally out of it. Drove over to Edinburgh to talk to kids about stars, at what is apparently the school Tony Blair went to. Pretty nice, but am now exhausted.

Have been eating more, yet losing weight, partly because of girly things. Felt absolutely epic tonight, and got something to show for it. Back to my Toro lever belt which is fitting perfectly, so I can breathe but only fit a finger in, but it's awkward as there's only 2-3kg BW between this and being undable to get the thing to fasten no matter how hard I try. So I don't want to put any weight on before my comp on March 18th.

Squat 80 1x5. Felt great, knees were right, no good morning action. Warming up w. BW squats with a band round knees seems to really make a difference.
    DL 90x3 DOH, 100x1 hooked. 115x5 (3 were great, last two has some rounding but didn't feel excessive. Decided to test out my hook grip; did 110x1, 120x1 and felt fine.

1.8xBW for a set of 5. Am I strong yet?

Quote Originally Posted by hrat View Post
    1.8xBW for a set of 5. Am I strong yet?
    You might be, but you know you want to be stronger, hahahaha.

Oh always, I'll never be strong enough, but I don't think I can honestly think of myself as fat and weak any more. Not good enough does not imply no good at all.
    Today; press 31 4,2,3 womens bar, grip width was all wrong, sucked. Snatch up to 25 some good some failed. Not sharp, kinda tired.
    Complex of PC, fSQX2, strict press, squatx2, push press, Fsqx2; 5 rounds 20sec rest between. 5 rounds no rest. Done for.
    Tomorrow will be bouldering, a mile run and some hill sprints.

Realised again my bench/press programming is stupid. I fancy trying 3's, maybe 6x3 volume, and 1x3 intensity. And I'm neglecting chins again, although I can do 3-5 fingerboard pullups now. I also want shoulder muscles, dammit.

starting strength coach development program
    I have a lot going on right now, and my brain is working overtime. Brain dump to try to calm it down a little.
    Yesterday; didn't eat breakfast, had 2 coffees, then did nearly 2.5 hours of bouldering; more fingery/tech based than usual but not gentle for sure. Felt dead so ate a spoonful of sugar then did a mile run, and 4 hill sprints, in damn good time. I like proving my body is capable of supporting my idiot brain...
    I drink a lot of coffee. I also seem to have a resting heart rate of 45-50; not tried it lying down yet. But I can't run a mile in much under 9mins, so I'm hardly traditionally fit.
    DL in lifting shoes; I've been doing this to avoid the hassle of taking them off, and like it. Pros/cons?
    Bench/press I lift like a girl, and lose the line badly when the weight is too heavy. I feel if I could keep the line right, I could lift it, but I can't.

I have an adrenaline problem; thinking about lead climbing, about my upcoming comp, etc gets the adrenaline going, right now. I can give myself an adrenaline rush anytime I want, but I can't stop them when I don't want. I have started deliberately calming down when approaching the bar tho'. It seems to help. On PR sets it goes like; t-30sec get really nervous, heart racing, pace about. t-10sec approach the bar. Close eyes, breathe deep, imagine success. t-1sec F#&k yeah go!

I have a comp in two weeks, I'm not prepared and I have no idea what to go for, or how to prep. I plan to feel out what I've got this coming week then deload the week after. I'm horribly nervous and very excited. I want to pull 140. We shall see.

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast