starting strength gym
Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: hrat's log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Tuesday:
    "full cleans" something like 5x3 at 40, some singles at 45, fail at 47.5
    felt much better than I recall, not so focussed on getting under that I forgot to pull. Standing up felt heavy though, which is plain embarassing.
    press 3x3 at 30 easy.

Weds: climbing. Pussied about, then pulled myself together and led a nice easy 6a. I am so pathetically wimpy sometimes.

Also, either sick or lazy, have slept in until 10 or 11 last two days, as finally have nothing immediate on the work front.

Tonight:
    squats, 60x5, loose belt 70x5, 72.5x5, 75x5, 77.5x5 4th set mainly because I really wanted to sit down and cry rather than get under a bar again. So I added a set
    deadlift 100 1,1 cannot hold onto this for the life of me. Borrowed straps and did an easy set of 5.
    Forgotten chalk, 98% humidity and yesterdays climbing. Stupid all round.

Quote Originally Posted by hrat View Post
    Tonight:
    squats, 60x5, loose belt 70x5, 72.5x5, 75x5, 77.5x5 4th set mainly because I really wanted to sit down and cry rather than get under a bar again. So I added a set
    deadlift 100 1,1 cannot hold onto this for the life of me. Borrowed straps and did an easy set of 5.
    Forgotten chalk, 98% humidity and yesterdays climbing. Stupid all round.
    Yep - the missing chalk will do it when you are close to your grip limit.

I'm approaching the grip limit on my DL's too - can I ask you why did you choose straps instead of mixed grip or hook grip?

Hah, I think one was hook, the other was mixed and the third try dropped straight out of my fingers.
    Rock climbing the day prior just does a number, and it's really really humid to the point of dripping sweat. It's also a Werksan weightlifting bar with gentle knurl.

Normally my hook would go up to at least 130, and I'm starting to prefer it over mixed. Feels more secure, and more balanced, and it's very quick to set with a little practice. Out of interest: base of palm to middle finger tip 6.75'', middle finger, 3.1'' and I have no difficulty getting a decent overlap on a standard bar.

It's still coming back, but now it's the wrong time of month and I have a cold too.
    Monday: squats 70x5, 75x5, 80x5, 82.5 x... 3 and they were shit. Too tired. Messed with a few HighBar squats out of interest.
    Press 30 3,3 and stupid hard.

Tues: bench 40 5x5 Hard. I could feel them getting sharper, but also was getting tired. So prob first reps of last set were best.

Plan is to go for 80 3x5 squat on Thurs and see if I can't get 82.5 and 85 next week, then go back to Texas with 75 5x5 and 87.5 for 5 maybe. Deads on intensity day starting from 110. And I'm going to try 531 for heavy day on press/bench because microloading at 1lb when I can't control bar and plates is silly.
    Last edited by hrat; 07-03-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hrat View Post
    Messed with a few HighBar squats out of interest.
    I have tried them in the past. I have no interest. They really suck when one is comfortable with the low bar.

Yeah, I've never tried high-bar in real earnest. The bottom position feels more comfortable (which is probably not a good thing, huh?) since I'm pretty bent over on a low bar, but then there's no actual reason to sit around at the bottom, is there.

Today: woke up with a chest full of mucus. Had a lie in, and by 5pm was feeling much better so.
    squat: 80 3x5 Really really slow but pretty good. Belt on loose. Knees shaky but decent. Eye position good.
    deadlift: 60x5, 80x2. belt on, shoes off: 100x2, 110x5, chest up nicely, fast. 115x1, 120x1
    Left feeling better than when I walked in, so I'd say it was an OK decision to lift despite the cold.

Technique is feeling much better, but I'm not sure why my squats are so painfully slow, down and up. They don't feel at all "sharp". Deads felt great. Bench still sucks.

Attempted snatches: 20 and 25 x a few singles. Jumping far to wide again.
    Bench 40x5, 42.5 x5, 45x AMRAP=5 Line was good and all but it felt so stupid heavy. Damn cold.
    Press 20 3x10, 1x9. Getting 5 in one breath really easy, then having to grind out the rest because my arms even feel too heavy. I refuse to suck this badly.

Computers at my work all went down last Friday and weren't back till Tues, so skived Monday to go sailing. Great day, strongish wind, but she's a very sea-kindly boat, so it was fun instead of difficult.
    Does mean 4 consecutive days lifting this week, but I think I can handle it.

Tues: back was pissed from all the coughing. Got one shitty shallow set of 5 at 82.5 on squats, then decided it was stupid. Did a set at 60, then 3x1 front squats at 60 instead. Straight leg deads: 60 1x5- feel good for the back issue.

Weds: press 25x3, 27.5x3, 30xAMRAP=4, then a second try and got 2. Backoff: 25x7. Bench 35 x10,10,7 then 30x10. Aim was 5x10, picked too heavy. Then chins: 2.5, 2, 1.5, 1. Done for.

Today: Squat 85, 1x5, 1x3. Stupid cough screwing up my breathing: lost air on the 3rd rep and it screwed things up.
    Deads 112.5x5 pretty good, although had to resort to straps again for reps 4 and 5. Then 100x10 with belt loose, shoes on and straps.

The grip thing is wonky: if I've done any chins or climbing the day before, I can barely hold onto 100: with a days rest I can get to 120 easy. Can't decide if I like shoes for deads. They feel good on lower weights, but when things get heavy I tend to shoot the hips up and that seems made worse by the shoes.

starting strength coach development program
    Bench: 42.5 x3, 45x3, 47x2 Just too heavy, felt all wrong. Yep, 4 days in a row wasn't the best idea.
    Press 20 5x10. Last set was maybe fastest, and certainly best for getting under. Huge improvement over last week.
    Powerclean and push press: 35 2x1, 40xf,f,1 and took it for a walk. Fun.

ETA: followed by an hour's five-aside football.

Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast