starting strength gym
Page 51 of 354 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: DRice311's Bastardization of 5/3/1

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Terribly impressive!

As someone who has fought low back pain for over 40 years, I'm probably not the best to comment on deadlifting form. I like the hips much lower and almost 'squat' the weight up, the only way I can deadlift painfree. But then, I've been around guys deadlifting 600+lbs with a round back and never had a bit of back pain. Go figure...!
    Thanks oldster

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    TURTLE BACKS FOR THE WIN!

Nice work Rice-Pony,

The Bar is Aldon Smith and you are Darren Sproles
    mirin' my turtle shell, aren't you.

I like the analogy - you are basically saying I told the bar "get the F** up off me, before I suplex you"

Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Fair enough. I swear watching his video it looks like he could have gotten 10. Its nuts.
    Thanks man, but I definetly didn't have 10 - I might have gotten 6-7, then probably death.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMask View Post
    You would definitely be good for more than 457 right now.
    Definitely! Nice work man...in spite of the awful music. Sounds like my gym, haha..

Dana, any idea why the first reps of your deadlift sets usually appear to be the slowest reps?

Nope - I wish I knew. For some reason, on my heavy sets - the first rep always seems the hardest. I think it might actually just be mental preparation. I remember half way through that first rep thinking to myself - 'ok fucker, time to wake up, this shit is pretty heavy.' Once I get the feel of the weight, the later reps seem to fly up.

I am the same way. My first rep is always slowest on my heavy sets. Not good for when you need to try a 1-rep max since there is ony a first rep. It drives me nuts but I haven't been able to figure out what the reason is. Might be worth asking Rip?

Friday (11/30):

Pullups:
    3x15
    Wanted to take it light because my elbow has been bothering me. So instead of weighted pullups I went high rep unweighted. After the first set, the pain was pretty intense. Gave it a minute, second set felt alright, third set felt great.

Assistance:
    Chinups - 1x10 at 70# - wanted to try some chins with moderate weight, big mistake
    Chinups - 1x10 at body weight - much better
    Toes to Bar - 3x10 (supersetted with chinups)
    Decline Situps - 3x20 (supersetted with top 2)
    Seated Rows - 3x10 at 250#

Conditioning:
    Hill Sprints - 10 sprints seperated by 15 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    I am the same way. My first rep is always slowest on my heavy sets. Not good for when you need to try a 1-rep max since there is ony a first rep. It drives me nuts but I haven't been able to figure out what the reason is. Might be worth asking Rip?
    I honestly think for me it is just mental focus, but who knows - maybe there is some kind of stretch reflex that makes the first rep harder. I don't do touch and go, so I know its not a bounce.

just because you dont touch n go doesnt mean youre not getting some stored up stretch reflex with the dead.

Which is why the first rep is hard because its all concentric on the first rep. No eccentric which lifts like the bench and squat rely on. Same with a true military press. No eccentric on that first rep all concentric.

Yup - that is what I was thinking. I mentioned the tng thing just to eliminate the possibility of bounce.

This isn't always the case for me - which is why I was thinking just the mental focus/getting geeked up might be playing into it as well.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    just because you dont touch n go doesnt mean youre not getting some stored up stretch reflex with the dead.

Which is why the first rep is hard because its all concentric on the first rep. No eccentric which lifts like the bench and squat rely on. Same with a true military press. No eccentric on that first rep all concentric.
    Ok, this makes sense. Thanks Patrick. Because I am pretty certain it wasn't a mental thing (in my case at least) and I don't do touch and go, so I was kinda confused.