starting strength gym
Page 13 of 265 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Stroup's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Grats man! I was watching a video on youtube about this subject from a guy that DL's 850. He says that you pretty much have to round your upper back to be a big deadlifter (like 800+). You still keep your lower back solid, but rounding your shoulders allows you to lockout at a lower height. Either way, he says that your spine will NOT come shooting through your ass, so it is all good. :-)

Mac, what reasons did Jim Steel give to use flat shoes? I know the advantages to oiympic shoes for squatting, since a lot of people here use them. I was wondering what the advantages are to flat shoes.

Thanks guys! I hope one day my round upperback yields and 800+ pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Either way, he says that your spine will NOT come shooting through your ass, so it is all good. :-)
    Heh!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    Deadz: up to 440x5*PR
    Woohooo! Nice'un, Patrick! I didn't get to watch it, computer problems, but when its in the book, they all look the same.

Thanks! When I learn to not lock my knees out so fast my dead might actually look ok. Hah.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Mac, what reasons did Jim Steel give to use flat shoes? I know the advantages to oiympic shoes for squatting, since a lot of people here use them. I was wondering what the advantages are to flat shoes.
    "Because that's what everyone in my gym wears" - Jim Steel.

I think he felt the shoes were causing me to pitch forward - this was not true, dipping my chest was doing so. Matt had me put me shoes back on and immediately fixed the problem with a proper cue. Depth was an issue with the flat shoes.

I'm no wary of advice given without solid reasoning behind it.

First - NICE FUCKING BEARD MAN! I had no idea you had such a killer beard

Second - NICE FUCKING PULL MAN. Those looked good to me. Like others have said, most of the best conventional pullers pull with a rounded upper back. As long as your lower back remains set throughout the lift, you should be safe. I've never seen anyone come up on their toes like that for heavy deadlift. At least you are getting some extra calf work in, lol.

Congrats dude - I liked the lift.

Thanks! Yeah ill dial the form in a little better. its only that left foot I believe... weird.

Heh, you are doing one of those barbell complexes (deadlift to calf raises). We know you are secretly trying to build some super calves for the gun show contest. :-)

lol, i already got fat baseball coach calves. I think that on my toes thing is caused from locking knees to early and slight hitching need to focus on pushing through the centers of my feet and using my glutes to lock out the bar.

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    Thanks! Yeah ill dial the form in a little better. its only that left foot I believe... weird.
    I actually think this is an artifcact of the fact that the bar is pretty far in front of you - the bar is pulling you forward a little and you pull it back in at the top. It's evident with your Stiff Legged DL's as well. That bar should be touching skin the whole way up.