Thread: Stroup's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    08/15/12
    Press: 165x3x1 (95%)
    CG Bench: 120x10, 145x10, 165x10
    Cubans: 55x3x10

Thats it, class started again so I had to sneak this one in because they changed my class day from wednesday to thursday... so yeah. Singles were easy money. Gonna smash 185 at the end of this cycle.

Solid squats and the belt thing is quite an accomplishment. How much has your diet changed over that time frame?

Unfortunately I have gone the other way on my belt. I'm out a notch since I got the belt last summer.

What do you think of the Cubans?

My diet change was simple but huge. Biggest thing was just doing it, staying committed to 2lbs of meat a day minimum, 9+ hours of sleep a day, eating 50 grams of meat protein first thing when I wake up.

My diet is basic elimination diet of no grains, legumes, gluten, sugar, artificial sweetner. Everything else is par for the course. But severely limit my intake of dairy, fruit, and nuts. I eat a TON of meat and potatoes. My carbs are only pre and post workout. Simple.

Cubans aka the Muscle Snatch are awesome. Stuff like side raises and front raises have ways of impinging my shoulders but the cubans hit all heads it seems and makes them feel better after doing them. Plus its like the only "weightlifter" kind of movement I can do that applies to powerlifting. I dont know what the return will be on my bench and press but I imagine its helping my external rotation a ton.

Interesting. I will have to look into those. I am always looking for new shoulder movements.

Keep up the great work!

For those interested. EXCELLENT movement for busted up shoulders and training external rotation.

08/17/12
    Squat: 360x2x2
    Dead: 450x7x2*PR
    Hammer Curls: 40x2x10, 30x2x10, 25x2x10

Wow. I am glad I didnt do 5 sets of 2 as my recovery squat and did two sets instead. This was a fight, but after the seventh set I was suprised I felt recovered. So I just went bananas on some drop set hammer curls.

08/18/12
    Bench: 170x3, 190x3, 220x3, 190x3, 170x10
    Incline: 135x8, 160x8, 180x6
    Pullups (recon ron): 5, 4, 3, 3, 3

Done. Ran the 531 ladder and repped the last rung. If that makes sense. Ready to try another steel thing, 531 is fun and all but I prefer more weight over more sets.

Video of my last set of deads.

Uhhhhhhhhh. Notes: school has started back so this was not my normal squat day...

Squat: 405x3, 405x1 (failed on 2)
    CG Bench: 205x5x3
    Pendlay Row: 205x3x10

Yeah. Shitty. First set moved well, but that deadlift session friday + not having the extra recovery day fucked me. 2nd rep I was about an inch or two out of the hole when my lowback just couldnt remain in extension. Basically going to not deadlift this friday and shift it to Monday, then squat on Friday. Gives me plenty of time between sessions.

So my training schedule is going to shift a bit as well. Just MWF with all the main stuff, then saturday may just be a bodybuilding day. Fucking school.

Nice deadlifts Stroup! Bummer about the missed squat but I think the new schedule will sort you out.

Stroup, are you a school teacher or a student?

Nice deads. Do you have cheat days on your diet? I don't think I could survive on the menu. I have a saying that Mac laughs at, "Mmm, corn syrup, my favorite!"

starting strength coach development program
    Student, I work fulltime during the day, and two days out of the week I go to class at night for HVAC/R (heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration technology).

Life usually throws me cheat days like anniversaries, birthdays, family get togethers. Other than that I am all the time Paleo. it really isnt bad for me (its way worse for my wife and her MASSIVE sweet tooth, but she already has low bf%) Meat and Potatoes is what I enjoy eating anyway.

i also made cheating VERY hard because the only two foods I like to cheat with are pizza from King's Pizza in myrtle beach, SC. And mexican / burritos from a few resteraunts at the beach. So i have to drive 1.5 hours to cheat. Haha.

Page 4 of 265 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast