starting strength gym
Page 5 of 265 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Stroup's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    Student, I work fulltime during the day, and two days out of the week I go to class at night for HVAC/R (heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration technology).

Life usually throws me cheat days like anniversaries, birthdays, family get togethers. Other than that I am all the time Paleo. it really isnt bad for me (its way worse for my wife and her MASSIVE sweet tooth, but she already has low bf%) Meat and Potatoes is what I enjoy eating anyway.

i also made cheating VERY hard because the only two foods I like to cheat with are pizza from King's Pizza in myrtle beach, SC. And mexican / burritos from a few resteraunts at the beach. So i have to drive 1.5 hours to cheat. Haha.
    Stroup, if you don't mind, you should post a typical day's meals/what you eat.

I really need to tighten up my diet. I'm starting to think its why I'm tired most of the day.

Sure! Uh. Let me preface and say I am not expert, and my diet is a very crude take on paleo with a focus on eating all parts of the animal and getting a lot of sleep and sunshine.

Weekdays are...

Wake up at 7:30ish and shower/drive to work

8:45am - 8oz of beef, chicken, or pork or 5 eggs or both (lol) + big fistful of walnuts and 16oz of black coffee

12:00pm - 8 oz of beef, chicken, pork, or 5 eggs (sometimes cooked vegetables, or carrots and potatoes, or sweet potato)

4:30pm - (pre-training) 8oz of meat or 5 eggs + 1 large potato or sweet potato MAYBE a piece of fruit (apples!)

between 4:30-5:30 I will either have 1 cup of black of coffee or a whole damn pot depending on if its a crazy training day

RIGHT AFTER WORKOUT - walk my dog 2ish miles at a mad man pace.

07:00pm - (dinner or post workout) 8-16oz of meat + 1-2 large potatos or sweet potatos sometimes I might have a piece of fruit or some natural almond butter.

10:30pm - BED IN A PITCH BLACK ROOM.

not included are me munching on random organ meats or chugging down home made bone broth or gnawing on the soft bones after I am done making said broth in the crockpot. I also cook everything in coconut oil, sparingly have sour cream or natural cheese with my potatos. which I cook about 100 different ways but most of the time I just eat them boiled with salt and pepper. hella boring but in general I try to eat 2lbs of meat, 1 or 2 potatos, limit fruit and nuts a ton, and I currently dont use any supplements or whey protein. i really think this has had a HUGGGGGGGGE effect. focusing on getting protein from only meat and eggs and avoiding anything not natural. Like artificial sweetners.

For those going "where the hell are the vegetables!?!?" I dont eat a ton of them but will every now and then have some but mostly eat carrots and potatos as my non-animal based eats.

but that exact layout has taken me slowly down from 270+ in May to a fully hydrated three meals into the day pre workout weight of 243 last night. Again nothing crazy in my eyes. But I am down like 2 cup sizes and a pant size and technically stronger on all my lifts (except Bench!!!).
    Last edited by Patrick Stroup; 08-21-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Nice job Stroup, dropping 30 lbs that quick is no joke. Good write up.

Now I just have to bench 3 wheels and press 2 wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    Now I just have to bench 3 wheels and press 2 wheels.
    I'm working on a 200-205 press before I worry about 2 wheels. I just can't seem to break 195.

I am sure you will get there well before me Brother. I just set unrealistic goals so that when I reach the realistic ones I am like "pfffft, there is a lady pressing this weight right now for reps"

Congrats on the weight loss, I don't think i could survive on that diet.

so for fun I measured out my "macros" today.

230 protein, 150 carbs, 100 fat

No clue on calories.

08/22/12
    3-ct Pause Squats: 315x3x2
    Press: Barx5, 95x3, 115x2, 135x2, 155x1, 165x1, 175xF, 175xF, 145x7
    [A1]Chins: 6, 4, 4, 3, 3 (recon ron program)
    [A2]Dips: BWx3x8 (elbows TIGHT at sides)
    Cuban Press: 60x3x10

Eh. I was expecting as much with my press, two singles with 100% seemed daunting from the start for me. So yeah, not a bummer because its not a contested lift for me. One day this will be 2 wheels. Just not today. hahaha Pause squats at that light of a weight feel like speed work to me (i believe that's 70% of my max currently) mainly did them because I wont be deadlifting or squatting this friday but wanted to get some movement in with the squat.

Also tweaked my dip form with two of my gyms crazy great pressers, apparently I dip more with my chest than triceps so we moved my hands in and pinned my elbows. WAY harder and its one of the first time I felt dips ONLY in my tris and not my shoulders/chest.

Blah blah blah, why are you still reading this shit?

starting strength coach development program
    program / goal changes.

So yeah, I can tell I am a little burnt out this week the heavier percent work is fun, but with my schedule I have to shift my training around and refocus priorities.

Goals: <231 by December 8th (I am 239 in the mornings right now), and bench my face off. then compete on December 8th at my first USAPL meet in Summerville SC.

Program changes:

Monday - Dead 531, F. Squat 3x5-8, back and bicep work
    Tuesday - off/class
    Wednesday - Bench 5's, 531 Slingshot aka Slanger, chest stuff lighter tricep work
    Thursday - off/class
    Friday - Squat 531, hams and lats
    Saturday - CG Bench 65-75% for 25-30 reps (rep work, will increase % weekly eventually getting these into heaviers sets of 8s, 6s, 5s, 3s etc), heavy tricep work and shoulders
    Sunday - off/football DUH!

So yep. Thats the plan. Mainly going to declare war on my bench weakness and really work on putting some meat on my horseshoes. I may even shift the press/shoulder work to its own day if my class runs short, then hammer more bench stuff on bench day.
    Last edited by Patrick Stroup; 08-28-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Page 5 of 265 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast