starting strength gym
Page 53 of 265 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Stroup's Log

Default Re: Stroup's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Anyone who just dumps a bar like that in a meet where you have three spotters is a fucking asshole and shouldn't be allowed to compete. They should also get a boot to the ass.

Stroup, embrace the tea bag. The usapl judges will love telling you they never saw anyone go that deep before. You'll also get the assholes that tell you squat higher you'll squat more weight.

Yeah agree. Chad Wesley Smith has done it. lol.

it was alot easier burying reps when i was fatter. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DRice311 View Post
    Personally, I'd rather go a fraction too deep then risk having the lift red lighted. That really fucks with your mind.
    FWIW - I'm a USAPL competitor and state referee. Looking at your squat video, I would have white lighted each of your reps. I can also tell you there are refs who would have red lighted at least 1 of them, especially rep 3. As Callador mentioned about your bar path, it seemed to be due to your hips pivoting up a bit, probably due to fatigue like he said. That pivot in your hips made it look a bit higher than the other two, but it in real time, it still looked legal to me. On replay, it was the most questionable of the 3. I often hear language that a squat's depth was "borderline", and to some, that means if it isn't ain't-no-doubt-about-it deep, then it must have been high. I've seen lifters who were CLEARLY below parallel get red lights.

To me, borderline means you barely got it in. But in is in, and if it's a legal squat, you get a white light from me. If a referee has any doubt about if it was deep enough, benefit of the doubt is always supposed to go to the lifter. When I'm the lifter, I subscribe to Dana's philosophy because I can't judge myself. And even if I could, I still might lose 2-1.

As for state records, that's up to the state chair. In MD, you can set a MD state record at any USAPL/IPF meet, as long as you are a resident of MD or D.C. Other states may require you to be a state resident AND do the lift at a meet in your home state.

Hey thanks for the info K!

Yeah it was more of an issue a week or so ago when I did 390x3 those were little higher than the 395x3 this week. Thank you for the observations though!

Nice work on those squats, Stroup.

Quote Originally Posted by K.Diesel View Post
    I often hear language that a squat's depth was "borderline", and to some, that means if it isn't ain't-no-doubt-about-it deep, then it must have been high. I've seen lifters who were CLEARLY below parallel get red lights.
    Can you explain a bit more about this? Jordan has mentioned people who aren't known names sometimes getting stricter judging, is that what you're talking about? I understand how a borderline squat would go in favor of a known competitor but a newer lifter has to prove himself before getting the benefit of the doubt. But it's difficult to understand why a clearly legal squat would get red lighted for depth.

01/19/13 "Volume Upper-Bodah" BW: 231!!!
    Bench: warm to 225x1 then 200x5x5
    Slingshot (pause 1st and 3rd): 225x3, 235x3
    Press: 135x3x2
    Pullups (WIDE): 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 5 (PR! 28 total)
    DB Curls: 4 sets

Note: was fucking sore in my upper lats (deads) and my upper triceps (LTEs and Pushdowns...)

Woof. This wasnt great at all (except the pullups!) slingshot is going to be my main tricep work now and I think the reason this session sucked is I went HAM on volume and tricep accessory stuff this previous intensity bench day. So yeah. Holy crap huge PR on pullups. I have never done this many nor for sets of 5 like that. They felt SUPER easy and all sets were a rep or two in the tank. Getting lighter helps big time.

I got through this though which was strangely satisfying to know hey my bench is going to SUCK once I hit transition and lockout. But I muscled through. Not my best form but no pain no gainz.

62 Days
    19 Hours
    28 Minutes
    20 Seconds

till the meet!

edited for Stroup.
    Last edited by KyleMask; 01-19-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Im not really game for my training log turning into a discussion of personal preference and politics of federations.

Your log, your rules. I'll PM him.

starting strength coach development program
    60 days (FUUUUUCCCCKKKK)
    11 hours
    22 minutes
    20 seconds

01/21/13 "Volume Lower"
    Squat: 325 - 3x5
    RDL: 235 - 3x6
    Pendlay Row: 235 - 3x5
    [A1]Neck Harness Cable: 80 - 3x15
    [A2]GHD Situps: 2x15