starting strength gym
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Strength Training of a Former Pro Ballerina, Cassandra

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerliftinggirl View Post
    Last night, I had way too many jell-o shots served to me by a 6-foot Honey Boo Boo. Had the red, two oranges, a yellow, a green, and a blue, plus two cups of beer, a glass and a half of wine, and a shot of vodka. So, I adopted the attitude of a nut job and decided to still go into the gym today and do what I had planned to do before I gave myself that idiotic hangover.
    weight: 135
    squat 225, 4, 4, 5
    squat 185, 2x6
    bench 100, 6, 8, 8 (discovered there is a 25 pound plate about 3 pounds heavier than the rest; barbell kept dropping to the right on my first set, so I switched out the plate)
    dumbbell rows 65, 2x15
    abs
    curls 25, 9, 7, 11 (weird numbers, I know; supposed to be 3x9, but forearms spasmed horribly during second set; pounded those suckers out, rested a while, and made up for the lost reps in my final set)
    Bill Starr would be proud. Not that I am surprised to see a former dancer just tough it out.

He wouldn't be proud of the drinking, would he? Hah hah.

I think all ballerinas are tough. I cut off my own big toenail onetime at 2a.m. when the nail had split in half and an infection had developed up underneath it. Had to. I had two performances of the Nutcracker the next day, and I wasn't sleeping with the throbbing pain. Yeah, it hurt to do it, but not nearly as much as that throbbing would have hurt on pointe.

Since I started lifting (I started late June 2011), my body has felt ten times better than it did while dancing.

He's referring to this article. But, yeah, don't think he's advocating drinking; just saying that you can still train:

http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...hangover_starr

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMask View Post
    He's referring to this article. But, yeah, don't think he's advocating drinking; just saying that you can still train:

http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...hangover_starr
    Ah-hah! Not sure I think training through a hangover is totally wise--muscles are more prone to cramping and therefore injury--but it is badass to tough it out.

Bodyweight: 137
    Deadlift 250x7
    Deficit deadlift 210, 3x3
    Overhead press 65, 3x6
    Pullups, 6, 5, 4
    Ab pulldowns 80, 3x20

Good deadlift! And pullups! 6 reps is a PR, isn't it?

Yeah, training on a mild-moderate hangover can be ok, as long as one rehydrates before training. But training after a terrible night of drinking isn't wise--cramps, muscle tears, etc. become more likely.

Thanks! Nope, it's not a PR. I've done six before, just don't do it that often. Next time, I WILL do seven. Because you know, that is the most important exercise I do and therefore I should push myself harder on it than anything else. ;P

You're not a real man until you can do 10 anyway.

And until I have a penis and testosterone. Since the first is impossible and the latter I won't ever get, I think I'll be okay with seven "girly" pullups.

starting strength coach development program
    My first meet, my squat max was 230. I just did it for 3x4!

Squat 230, 3x4
    Squat 185, 2x6
    Bench 100, 3x8
    Dumbbell rows 65, 2x15
    Curls 25, 3x9
    Abs

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast