starting strength gym
Page 53 of 182 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: John Petrizzo's Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Why did you go from 385x5x5 last week to 410 this week?

You shouldn't be embarrassed, you are grinder and TFBA.

Great work grinding through that. Even though you didn't get five across today, you'll get it very soon. Surely that was tough mentally as well.

You go really low in your squats, do you mean to go that low?
    Thanks, Niki. I always have to work hard to cut my squats off and focus on staying tight. In general, I tend to let myself get a little deeper than I probably should, but what I do now is way better than what I used to do. It is a work in progress.

Why did you go from 385x5x5 last week to 410 this week?

You shouldn't be embarrassed, you are grinder and TFBA.
    Thanks, Rob. The "huge, embarrassing, failure" thing is a line from "Tommy Boy" I believe. Although it could be from one of the many similar movies that I spend a lot of time quoting. They tend to blend together after awhile. Its just something funny that I think of when I miss my prescribed weight or reps. In regards to my program, Andy has me cycling my weights over a three week period since I really can't hit PRs on my 5x5 every week anymore. Three weeks ago I squatted 405x5x5, in between I had a light and a medium week and then was supposed to squat 410 for 5x5 this week. Unfortunately, it did not work out as planned.

1/2

Bench - 45x10x2, 135x5, 185x3, 225x3, 275x1, 295x1, 315x1, 325x1x5
    Press - 45x5, 95x5, 135x3, 175x2, 202x4
    Chins - BWx5, BW+27x5x3

Pretty good training session. I had Nick with me today, so I decided to have him give me all very strict (long pause), commands for the bench so I could more accurately set up my training cycle for the February meet. I was hoping to go for 335 on the singles, but with the longer pause, it would not have happened. I am happy with 325. I am definitely stronger now than I was going into my last meet prep. I was also happy to get four reps on my top set of the press. The last few weeks I had been grinding out triples. Weighted chins felt way easier than last week.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Thanks, Niki. I always have to work hard to cut my squats off and focus on staying tight. In general, I tend to let myself get a little deeper than I probably should, but what I do now is way better than what I used to do. It is a work in progress.
    John, you definitely stay tight, probably one of the tightest on the board, which is why you can grind through those tough reps. This is also why your deadlift mechanics are so tight. I'd say you are a tight-master.

As for the depth thing:
    Some cues that have helped me quite a bit the last couple weeks to not go too deep are the following:
    1. You and Nick gave me this one. Knees first. I like that cue since it helped me to not shoot my hips back first. You don't do that but it may help you to avoid knee movement at the bottom of the squat.
    2. This one I came up with. "Just give it the tip." Squat down and when you get "down there" avoid dipping the entire "thing" into the "hole". Just give it a little bit. Tease the hole. Make it want more. This keeps it nice and "tight".

Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    2. This one I came up with. "Just give it the tip." Squat down and when you get "down there" avoid dipping the entire "thing" into the "hole". Just give it a little bit. Tease the hole. Make it want more. This keeps it nice and "tight".

Works for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Niki Sims View Post
    I don't think us bros want to squat "knuckle-deep", but you could (should/have been/are/will be).

Why am I not at all surprised that a comment about squat depth has quickly degenerated into a "just the tip," and "knuckles deep" thing. Whatever cues work, I guess. HA!

1/4

Squat - 45x10x2, 135x5, 225x5, 315x3, 385x2, 435x1, 485x1
    Deadlift - 135x3, 225x3 (p. cleaned), 315x3, 405x2, 495x1, 545x1, 585x1
    Deficit Dead - 430x5x2

Pretty good training day. Squats went well. They felt better than they have in awhile. 585 for a single on the deadlift is a training PR. It was a real grind, but there was no way that I was going to miss the rep after not making my triple last week. I pulled with an alternate grip for the first time in about five years. I just got a B&R bar and the knurling is way more aggressive than the old, worn down york bars I am used to training with. My grip was definitely a distraction last week and I did not want it to be an issue again.

Here are a couple of videos of my 485 squat and 585 deadlift:

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Excellent, just excellent. That DL was awesome! Good looking squat single too. Just one and back-off set or anything tho?

starting strength coach development program
    Congrats on the PR John!