starting strength gym
Page 13 of 136 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding Out that the Iron Never Lies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I see you've been doing some strongman style training. What's the story behind that? I'm also jealous because I don't have access to that kind of equipment, but am intrigued to try them out myself.

Seti- I'm planning on a strongman competition in mid July. I've never done one before so it's all new to me. I don't have access to any strongman equipment at a commercial gym so I have started acquiring some items to use at home. So far I purchased a prowler with harness, fatbar for cleans/presses, farmer's walk bars and about 500 lbs in weights. I made my own sandbag and I anticipate I'll be getting a big tire in next few weeks. I'm still not sure if I'll get a strongman log as they are a little pricey and the contest I'm doing isn't yet sure if they will include a pressing event this year. From the little bit of strongman training I've done so far I will say that it's harder than I anticipated. I'm nervous at this point that I'm going to embarrass myself at the contest this year with such little time to get ready, but I figure it's better to give it a try and fail spectacularly than to regret not even trying.

5/17/2013

Hill runs- 3. Still tough but getting better.

5/18/2013

Clean then 3 push presses @ 135, 165 (2 sets). Ok.

Farmers walk with 135 lbs- 2 runs. Ok except grip starting to slip by the end.

Sand bar with approx. 130 lbs- 2 walks of 35 ft, turn, then 35 feet (70 feet total). Ok- need to add more weight.

May 20 2013

Press @ 175 lbs- 3. Ok although right shoulder a bit sore.
    Press x 5 @ 155 lbs- 3 sets. Ok.
    Press x 5 @ 135 lbs- 1 set. Ok.

Dips with 90 lbs- 8,7,8

Hang Leg Raises- 9,9,7.

May 22 2013

Squats @ 385- 3. A little slow on last rep but mostly ok.
    Squats x 5 @ 350 lbs- 2 sets. Pretty tough on 2nd set.

Deadlift @ 430 lbs- 3. A little tough.

Skipped deadlift backoff set due to limited time this week for workouts and added bench.

Bench @ 310 lbs- 3. Tough with last rep slow although not a grinder. No big surprise since it's getting close to pr territory.
    Bench x 5 @ 275 lbs- 2 sets. Pretty tough by second set. I was tired by his point overall.

What's up bustermonkey? Have you been busy lately to update your log, or took some time off training?

Thanks for asking Seti. I was out of town from May 24-May 28 so I missed some training time. I am getting worried as the strongman competition is the 3rd week of July and I feel not even close to ready. I don't really mind coming in last- I just don't want to be embarrassed.

May 28 2013
    Bodyweight @ 216 lbs

Clean and 3 Push presses @ 175 lbs. A little tough- but mostly just on bringing weights back down to the ground. I don't have bumper plates or a rack so I have to slowly lower weights after last push press which is getting tough as weight increases.

Sandbag carry w/ approx. 165 lbs- 2 runs. Little tough. I added another 40 lbs to this. I tried to weigh sandbag but couldn't get it to stay all on scale. Its a huge army duffel filled with 160 lbs of water softener salt enclosed inside multiple layers of garbage bags and duct tape. This wasn't too bad to lift off ground but it is tough to hold up due to grip issues on the bag.

Farmers walk with 155 lbs- 2 runs. The first run I did on the grass and barely made it due to losing my grip. The second I did on pavement and it went much better. I think that I go too slow on grass. Since the competition is on pavement, I will stick to that from here out.

Prowler push with 140 lbs- 1 run.
    Prowler push with 190 lbs- 1/2 run. Exhausted by this point.

I've got a lot of work to do yet with only about 6 weeks training time left. I am going to try to locate a tire this week.

May 31 2013

Press @ 185 lbs- 3. A little tough and right shoulder soreness. I'm not sure what is causing the soreness. I suppose it could be the push presses on implement day. Strange it's just in one shoulder.

Press x 5 @ 160 lbs- 3 sets. Pretty tough by the end.

Dips w/ 90 lbs- 8,8,10.

Hang. Leg Raises- 9,9,8.

June 1 2013
    Bodyweight 215 lbs

Squat @ 392 lbs- 3 PR. Ok. I originally intended on doing 390 but realized that just adding 2 more lbs would be a pr so I went for it.

Squat x 5 @ 355 lbs-2 sets. A little tough on the second set.

Deadlift @ 440 lbs- 3. Tough- last rep was a grinder. I was a little disappointed by this but I figure I'm only 15 lbs off PR here and its after I've already done squats. In the past year, I've been setting deadlift PRs first before any other exercises.

Deadlift x 5 @ 365 lbs- Ok although I was pretty tired by this point.

starting strength coach development program
    June 3 2013

Bench @ 315 lbs- 3. Pr. This was very tough and I started to come off bench a little on last rep. This is somewhat surprising because my programming isn't suited towards bench and squat development right now.

Bench x 5 @ 280 lbs- 2 sets. Tough.
    Bench @ 225 lbs- 7. Ok. I wanted to get one more set in but wasn't going to be able to do another set at 280.

Chins with 45 lbs- 5,5,4. Minimal kipping.

Situps with 35 lbs- 4,4,3.