starting strength gym
Page 3 of 136 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding Out that the Iron Never Lies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Nov 28 2012
    Bodyweight at 210 lbs

Deadlifts x 5 @ 385 lbs, 330 lbs- ok. None of these are touch and go which does make them harder than when I did touch and go for 1/2 the reps.

Bench x 5 @ 225 lbs (3 sets)- Easy.
    Bench Iso's w/ 165 lbs- 3 positions. Easy

Situps with 25 lbs. 7,7,7. Ok.

I added the extra sets of bench because I am a little concerned about not making progress with just isos. It also could be that I started my iso weights on bench very low so it isn't providing enough stimulus for adaptation.

Have you read the Bill Starr articles about isos? I believe there is like a 6 part article chain about the power rack and isos. I know it's probably not conceiveable timewise for you, but he mentions a training program where the isos are done separately from lifting days. So 2 regular lifting days and 3 iso days, the latter taking only like 15-20 minutes.

It even has this: "An Isotonic-Isometric Program for Powerlifters"
    http://imbodybuilding.com/articles/back-to-rack1/
    http://imbodybuilding.com/articles/back-to-rack2/
    http://imbodybuilding.com/articles/back-to-rack3/
    http://imbodybuilding.com/articles/back-to-rack4/
    http://imbodybuilding.com/articles/back-to-rack5/

It might be useful to read these if you haven't already.
    http://imbodybuilding.com/articles/back-to-rack6/

Great Find! I've only been using the 2 articles written by Starr on this site. This is very helpful. Thank you.

Default Finding Out that the Iron Never Lies

Can't wait to read these too. Since I'm just doing press ISOs. I still have a regular press day too. I think they are helping.

Glad I could help!

Nov 30 2012

Press x 5 @ 177 lbs PR, 155 lbs. These were surprisingly ok. I was struggling to get 4 of these about 2 months ago and was getting stuck. I think the iso work is making a big difference on press. I would note that my press form utilizes "floating press" where it doesn't come all the way down to neck/chest but is about 2 inches high. This is due to prior surgery on right wrist such that I only have about 30-45 degree flexion. It doesn't affect bench too much but many would state that my presses aren't legit because they don't come all the way down.

Squats x 5 @ 310 lbs-(3 sets)- Ok.
    Squat iso's w/ 205 lbs, 3 positions. Still tough and exhausting. It is very hard to get into position at bottom.

Hang. Leg Raises- 8,8,7. My lats were very sore by last set.

Overall I think isos are working on press. I won't be able to judge how it really is doing on other lifts until I get close to PR territory which should be about 2-3 weeks on bench and 4-5 weeks on squat/deadlift.

Dec4 2012

Bench x 5 @ 280 lbs, 250 lbs- These were fine.

Deadlift Isos @ 255 lbs- 3 positions. Ok. I had to use the other rack for these that is not as well suited for isos because there is about 4 inches between rail holes. I used a platform to get three different pulling positions.

Dips w/ 80 lbs- 5,5,5. Little tough.

Kroc Rows with 85 lbs- 10 reps/arm. Ok.

Dec 6 2012

Squats x 5 @ 360, 325 lbs. These were ok although last rep at 360 was a little slow. One benefit of isos is that I really feel like I have better bar control even as weight gets heavier.

Press warmup @ 135 lbs- 1 set of 5
    Press isos @ 125 lbs- 4 positions. Pretty tough and I got very lightheaded during each position.

Chins w/ 45 lbs- 5,5,5, Lots of kipping.

Dec 8 2012

Deadlifts x 5 @ 395 lbs, 335 lbs. These were a little tough at the end. I am no longer doing touch and go so it is quite a bit tougher.

Bench x 5 @ 230 lbs (3 sets) These were ok.

Bench isos @ 185 lbs - 3 positions. Ok.

Situps with 25 lbs. 8,7,3. The reason I only got three is that I tried to get eight on second set and couldn't quite get it but struggled at mid point for about 5 seconds. When I went for 3rd set I could tell that that last set had wiped me out.

starting strength coach development program
    Dec 10 2012

I was still sore in both upper and lower back so I thought about adding an extra recovery day, but then I decided I just needed to man up and it was time to train today.

Press x 5 @ 180 lbs PR, 160 lbs. 180 was pretty tough but not ridiculous. 160 was fine. Clearly the iso work is helping my press. I would guess I'm getting pretty close to bodyweight press for a single, which has been my goal for a few years now.

Squats x 5 @ 315 (3 sets). These were ok.

Squat isos with 215 lbs. 3 positions. These were hard and my lower back was pretty sore by the end.

Hang. Leg Raises- 8,8,7. Lats were the limiting factor here.

Page 3 of 136 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast