starting strength gym
Page 33 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding Out that the Iron Never Lies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    flu is a bitch man. I'm finding everything is heavy lately

Yep- It's been about 3 weeks and I'm still a bit off my lifts.

Feb 25, 2014
    Bodywt @ 221 lbs

Bench @ 360 lbs- 1. PR. This was very tough and very slow, at least in part because I lost all tightness at the bottom so my back was completely flat. If I had kept tight it would have been much easier, but I still made it.

Bench @ 282 lbs- 4,4,4,7. These were pretty tough. My arms were very sore by the end, likely due to effort expended on single, so I skipped accessories.

Feb 27, 2014

Deadlift @ 530 lbs- 0. Fail. I got it just above knees and got stuck there. I don't think I've ever failed before above my knees.
    Deadlift @ 412 lbs-1. I just didn't feel like pushing forward with deadlift volume.

I am getting frustrated with lack of progress this week. I'd like to blame it all on the flu a few weeks back but I also think it is just that I'm tired of max efforts and then grinding out my volume work. I'll probably stick with it one more week. I may need to reconsider the programming altogether, or maybe I just need to deload and start over.

I know how frustrating it may feel, but getting a bench PR is not exactly lack of progress. You'll bounce back!

Quote Originally Posted by seti View Post
    I know how frustrating it may feel, but getting a bench PR is not exactly lack of progress. You'll bounce back!
    Thanks. I've thought a little but more about it and I'll see how it goes next week to see if I can squeeze out any more progress this cycle. In looking at my log, I think I did 2 things wrong on this cycle: 1) I got greedy and jumped the weights up too quickly; and 2) I didn't build in any deload weeks which has contributed to running myself into a wall. I thought I could adjust the weights up more quickly and then reduce the jumps at the top but too many weeks in a row of grinding volume sets don't allow enough recovery. On the deload issue, I realize that on the last cycle that on the lighter top set weeks I only did the 4 x 4 backoff sets without AMRAP and without accessories. This time I continued AMRAP and accessories on the light weeks which is a mistake.

Good point! Going near failure with the AMRAP sets isn't really light. Plus you're getting ever stronger, and closer to your genetic potential, thus making things more complex.

Seti- You are absolutely right. It has gotten much more difficult to program correctly. Too much volume/weight and no progress. Too little volume/weight and no progress. I'm think about giving the 531 3 month challenge a try, really just to do something different. I doubt I'll make any real progress of the lifts but I think I'll gain some more muscle mass.

Just out of curiosity, how many cycles have you run it? What were your gains each cycle? What did you do differently for each cycle?

starting strength coach development program
    I'm about halfway into my 2nd cycle. I'm making progress on bench and press but had kind of a stall of squats and deadlifts this week.

After finishing my first 4 x 4 cycle, here were my results:
    Bodywt- 217-->223 lbs.
    Press- 205-->210 lbs.
    Bench 335-->355 lbs.
    Squat (unwrapped) 405 for 2 reps-->455 lbs for 1 rep.
    Deadlift 480-->525 lbs.

The differences between the cycles was that on the 2nd cycle I added incline press as an accessory, and kept up AMRAP and assistance work on the lighter weeks (every 3rd week you use a lighter top weight but add some weight to backoff sets). I also kept up 15 lb jumps for several weeks longer on squats/deadlifts. I think it has been too much too soon and it's run my squat and deadlift into the ground. I'm going to try repeating the same weights next week for squat/deadlift and see if that allows me to bounce back. If not, I may have to reset and start the cycle over.