starting strength gym
Page 5 of 136 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding Out that the Iron Never Lies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks Seti- Happy New Year to you too. I do think the iso work is helping. Unfortunately, it took about three months from when I started cutting weight to get back to where I was before. I'm going to move up into the next weight class as I feel like I lose about 2-3 months of training every time I get ready for a meet, largely due to having to cut weight to make 90 kilos. Are you starting your slow weight cut cut?
    Last edited by bustermonkey2; 01-03-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Yes, I've changed to a paleo based diet (with milk consumed after training). Yesterday's session was a bit more tiring, than it should be, but in my guess, it's because I didn't sleep enough in the last couple of days, due to family issues. I have to be careful though, to include potatoes and sweet potatoes around trainings, to give me that extra energy.

Jan 4 2012
    Bodywt @ 215 lbs

Squat x 5 @ 377 lbs PR , 340 lbs. I had planned on doing 375 but realized I could move on to PR by just another 2 lbs. Both 377 and 340 were pretty tough. I'll probably start microloading on squats now so I don't burn myself out.

Press x 5 @ 135 lbs (3 sets). These were ok although I was lightheaded (Valsalva maneuver).
    Press isos w/ 135 lbs. 4 positions. Ok except very lightheaded and bad exertion headache immediately following each position. This was probably the closest I've ever come to passing out while lifting. I may need to reduce my iso time on press since I really don't want to drop 135 lbs on top of my face. So far I try to count to 20 during each position, although I would estimate it is probably only 6-8 actual seconds.

Chins w/ 45 lbs- 6,5,6. Kipping on last set.

Jan 7 2012

Deadlifts x 5 @ 420 lbs PR, 350 lbs. 420 was very tough with the last rep a grinder. Although it is only a 5 lb PR, it actually represents a much bigger PR in that these were full stop deadlifts whereas 415 consisted of about 3 touch and go reps. Touch and go was an indefensible practice that crept up on me before. I stopped that crap after my last meet in October.

Bench x 5 @ 245 lbs (3 sets). Ok.
    Bench isos w/ 205 lbs- 3 positions. Ok.

Situps w/ 25 lbs- 10, 10, 7.

Hey I found your records in the NASA site then found your log here. Pretty cool stuff, I haven't seen or heard of anyone using isometrics other than the boys from York. It seems to be working for you. Your deadlift will definitely be a PR this April.

About NASA meets. How long do they last? Is it tricky to time your warm-ups right so you are ready for your attempts. It looks like they do equipped and unequipped at the same event. I imagine this makes the meet go on all day. I'll probably have more questions for you as the meet approaches.

Good luck!

Dillman- The April meet does go on all day. I try to get there to weigh-in the night before from 7 pm-9 pm so I can eat/drink till I'm stuffed. You can also weigh in the day of lifting usually starting at 8 a.m. Lifting begins the next day at 10 am but you need to be there around 9:15 so you can tell them your pin heights on the squat rack and listen to the rules. This April lifting went on until 7-8 p.m. and then they did awards that took around a half hour. There is plenty of time for warm ups. The tough part of timing for me is when to put on the knee wraps. If you put them on too early your legs go numb and if you wait you could miss your turn. I may have not made my final squat attempt at my last meet due to early wrapping (or it may have just been too heavy). In any vent, I'd definitely practice wrapping if you plan on using them.

Default Re: Finding Out that the Iron Never Lies

Good info here. Thanks a bunch. I feuds it is a good idea to bring a book?

Dillman- Yes- bring a book. It is not unusual to have more than 2 hours between lifts. Even as a competitor, it can get boring.

Jan 10 2013
    Bodywt @ 217 lbs.

Press x 5 @ 187 lbs PR, 165 lbs. Both of these were pretty tough but not grinders.

Squats x 5 @ 330 lbs- 3 sets. These were reasonably tough.
    Squat isos w/ 230 lbs- 3 positions. These were terrible. I couldn't keep weight up for full time at bottom position. I was able to finish middle and top positions but basically collapsed after each one with shaking legs. By the end I had an exertion headache and generally felt like crap.

Hang. Leg Raises. 8,7,6. I really felt awful by this point and am surprised I even did last set.

Hey Patrick,
    Another question for ya. Do you know/remember what kind of bar is used at the NASA meet? There has been some discussion about bars in Calladors log and I was curious what they used. Is it the same bar for all three lifts? The deadlift bar sounds cool since you are supposed to be able to get a better grip with it compared to other bars but to me it doesn't matter unless you have that kind of bar at the meet.

Anyhow goo luck with them isos.

starting strength coach development program
    Dillman- I don't know what type of bars they use but I think it's the same type for all lifts. At least I haven't noticed any difference when I did deadlifts at the meets from the standard bars I use at the gym.

Jan 12, 2013

Bench @ 297 lbs- 4 reps PR. I wanted five here and almost had 5th rep but got stuck about 3 inches above chest. I had bad setup where my back was flat without any arch at all.
    Bench x 5 @ 260 lbs- ok.

Deadlift isos w/ 285 lbs- 4 positions. These were tough. Some idiot decided to hang a band on the same rack I was using and pull on it while I was doing my first iso, which was very distracting. After I glared at him he moved to an empty rack, which was all of 6 feet away from my rack.

Dips w/ 80 lbs- 10,10,10. Pretty tough.

Kroc rows w/ 90 lbs- 12 reps/arm. Pretty tough.
    Last edited by bustermonkey2; 01-14-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Page 5 of 136 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast