starting strength gym
Page 136 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136
Results 1,351 to 1,357 of 1357

Thread: Finding Out that the Iron Never Lies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Wow- this forum is much less active than it was years ago. I'm still training and using a dup program of alternating workouts of: (1) 1 working set squats followed by either 1 working set deadlifts or 2 sets upper body (usually press/lte); and (2) 2 sets bench followed by a set of chins). Every squat session is about 5-6 days after the last with the bench session roughly in the middle. Been making pretty good progress on it although I need to tinker with getting more deadlift volume. I competed in the NASA Iowa Regional Powerlifting Meet this October 21, 2023 in the mens masters 2 (50-59 years old ) and mens open unequipped division at 242 lbs. I weighed in at 236 lbs with really no water cut or food cut. I went 8 for 8 (skipped 3rd squat attempt) with top lifts of: squat at 245 kilos (540 lbs); bench at 160 kilos (353 lbs); and deadlift of 240 kilos (529 lbs). This was a lifetime unequipped squat PR. Not terrible for a 50 year old. All lifts were NASA Iowa state records except for the deadlift which was only a Masters 2 record, not an open record.

Quote Originally Posted by bustermonkey2 View Post
    Wow- this forum is much less active than it was years ago.
    As this is your second post in a year.

You know how it goes. Literally waves and troughs of activity around here.

re: you meet results - "Not terrible for a 50 year old." For those of us that are 100-150lbs behind you on each of those lifts, I can say "no, not terrible at all."

Keep at it!

Yeah, pretty good numbers. Looking forward to seeing your training progress

Making some adjustments to programming. I'm still doing dup program but I'm adding a 3rd set of bench on bench days and some dips. I need a bit more bench volume if my shoulders can tolerate it. I'm still not sure if deadlifting 2-3 times per month is enough so we'll see how it goes. Clearly 5-6- times a month was too much deadlifting as I had significant regression every other deadlift session.

Basically it consists of alternating workouts of:
    (1) 1 working set squats followed by either 1 working set deadlifts OR 2 sets upper body (usually press/lte);
    (2) 3 sets bench followed by a set of chins OR 2 sets ez bar curls and 2 sets dips).

For example a 6's squat session and 6's bench session I just did:

Nov 30- Squats @ 465 lbs- 5 reps for a pr. (6's day but didn't feel like pushing too hard as I had a long drive later that day and 5 was still a pr); Press @ 185 lbs-3,3.

Dec 4- Bench @ 300 lbs- 6, 6, 6; 9 chins @ bodywt.

Every squat session is about 5-6 days after the last with the bench session roughly in the middle. In terms of the dup progression, I'm usually starting each microcycle with 8s (both squats/bench); then 3s (both squats/bench); then 6s (both squats/bench); then 2s (both squats/bench). I do deadlifts after my squats on 3s and 2s day and I'm trying to do 1 set higher reps on the squats 3s day (5-8 reps) and 1 set heavier on squats 2s day (2-4 reps). On the EZ curls/Press/LTE's I'm treating them as just accessory movements so just picking whatever feels right, but usually between 3-10 reps per set. The amount of squat volume is crazy low but I'm still making good progress on it- basically setting different rep squat pr's on most sessions. Deadlift progress is unclear since I only cut those sessions in half about 8 weeks ago with a small reset. I know more bench volume is needed as bench is largely stagnant but I don't want to overdo it as my right shoulder can't take the frequent benching without issue. I do adjust the program by a rep either up or down depending on how I feel or if it would be a pr.
    Last edited by bustermonkey2; 12-04-2023 at 05:27 PM.

NASA Natural Nationals Meet Report

I got back from Oklahoma City yesterday from the NASA Powerlifting Natural Nationals Powerlifting Meet/Awards Banquet. I was inducted into the NASA Hall of Fame on Saturday night, which was a great honor. On Sunday, I competed in the very obscure category of Mens Masters 2 Retro Powerlifting division at 275 lbs weight class (weighed in at 251 lbs). I didn't want to bother with wraps or cutting any weight to get to my normal 220 or 242 lbs weight classes as I knew this trip involved a long travel. I went 7 for 9 with top lifts of: squat at 205 kilos (451 lbs); bench at 162.5 kilos (358 lbs); and deadlift of 242.5 kilos (535 lbs). All lifts
    (and total) are new NASA National records for this lifting category. Judging was very strict at this meet. All of these lifts are about 50 lbs off pr territory but judging was very strict, especially for squats, and the main goal was hitting new records.
    Last edited by bustermonkey2; 02-20-2024 at 03:30 PM.

Strong work Buster! That's quite the honor!

starting strength coach development program
    Outstanding! Congratulations!!