starting strength gym
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike's Video Powerlifting Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I really learn a lot from watching my lifts on video. Not that my form is the best, but it has improved vastly since I started using the camera. As for the volume, I am still new to it, but these are pretty low percentage lifts for me. This program will get more challenging the longer I run it.

Default Press Day 1-27-2013

Press Training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owi-MJ6vgbE

Warm Ups: Standing DB Power cleans, multiple press sets with the bar, and hammer curls.
    95x10
    125x5
    125x5
    125x5
    125x5
    125x12 PR!

Pendlay Rows: I am still getting used to these so any input on my form would be appreciated.
    135x10
    155x10
    185x10
    155x10
    135x10

I settled on keeping my middle finger on the rings of the bar, which I think puts me in the best position to feel this exercise in my lats.

Dips:
    BWx12
    +25x10
    +25x9
    BWx10

I was having some pretty ridiculous elbow pain during this training session. I think this is from trying to move my grip in too far on squats. I am going to have to play with that during my next squat session. It would hurt the most on the first rep of a set, then lessened near the end. I just pushed through it, although this is the reason for the slow first rep on the press and dips. A little pain never hurt anyone.

Default 1-28-2013 Deadlifts

Deadlift Training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyPdue8DO4A

Sleep was good for once, meals good, upper back was still a little sore from the pendlay rows yesterday, but nothing terrible.

Deadlift: NO BELT
    Warm Ups 135x10, 225x5, 275x3, 315x1
    360x5
    360x5
    360x5
    360x5
    360x8 I had a few left in the tank here

Hypers:
    BWx10
    30x10
    60x10
    60x12

Hanging Leg Raises:
    Straight legs x 10
    Straight legs x 10
    Straight legs x 10
    Straight legs x 10
    Bent legs x 15

This was a great night of training. I am slowly adding in more volume on my accessory work. This is also the first time I have made it through the 5x5 sets and not felt totally worthless at the end. I am going to push the top set for a few more reps on the 80% day, but I decided to only push it a bit tonight since I am still adapting to the volume.

Default Embedding Video Test

Embed Video test, this is only a test.

Nice DL's! You have really solid technique, and you definately had a few more in the tank for sure.

Thank you. I have been pulling without the belt for a few weeks now. My body is starting to adapt to it. My weakness before was at the transition point above my knees and I think it was mostly due to a weak lower back. I hope the beltless pulls are helping. They seem to be getting easier, so I hope this means I am getting stronger. To go from repping 400+ touch and go with the belt to mid 300 full reset and no belt has been humbling.

Check this older video out for comparison on form. My first rep used to be the one that felt the worst. Too bad in a meet you only get the first rep! So something had to be done to fix this.

son of a bitch that was a solid 425x11... damn man. Youre a fucking tugging machine.

Great stuff Michael. I'm glad you decided to post a log here. Should be fun to watch your progress. I've got to say, you look like you were born to deadlift. It seems like your arms reach the bar without even having to bend over. Although I'm guessing those long arms make bench pressing a bitch for you?

x2 with Briks and Stroup. Your deadlift looks pretty much effortless. I am having the exact same problem with the first rep seeming to be the hardest, and have tried to diagnose the problem without much success - although I think alot of my issue is with set up.

Doing Pendlay rows the day before deads is pretty hard core to man. I am guessing it is because you are really trying to hammer your lower back, as you noted earlier. BTW, the form on the rows looked spot on. Too easy if anything.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Great stuff Michael. I'm glad you decided to post a log here. Should be fun to watch your progress. I've got to say, you look like you were born to deadlift. It seems like your arms reach the bar without even having to bend over. Although I'm guessing those long arms make bench pressing a bitch for you?
    I am definitely built more for squat and deadlift. It helps that I am really short. You don't have any context in the video, but I am only 5'4'' As for benching I have never been great at it but I have made some technique changes that have me making progress again.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast